Advanced Twisted Fate Guide

1234567 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Auralynx

11-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by feardragon View Post
The thing I've realized is he cannot carry a team. He can help a LOT but he really relies on the rest of his team to REALLY deal with the other champions later on.
Twisted's the best pile-on champion in the game and second best at punishing mistakes by the other team (Twitch is often better at that, and a well-played Shaco gives Twisted serious competition for #2). He's particularly hard on junglers if you can get him to 6 fast; I have done very bad things to people taking their first shot at dragon, for example.

In a rare instance of split pushing working, I managed to Gate over to help a friendly Tryndamere knock a hole in the opponents' base while they were attempting to push our top then recall and help run the other team off our inhibitor. Full credit to my teammates for both efforts, but neither would have gone quite as well without TF's ability to damn near be in two places at once.

Noviate

11-03-2009

as a pure TF user.. not my favourite guide. First off, if you dance in front of an opponent's turret... even if you manage to hit them, congrats! you just did less damage than a regular card throw! they will then commence eating you alive as you are one of the squishiest chars in the game. Also, ghost is... not so useful since your move speed is already decent. if they have any form of slow, your ghost wont matter anyways. Instead, flash is an INCREDIBLE summoner spell to get. once your opponent is at approx 1/3 hp and they dont wanna recall from lane, you can prepick a gold card and flash right up to them and unload for a garunteed kill pretty much. As far as items, I realize your build is what seems to be a hybrid? so I wont say too much about that. My personal item build is mana rod - spell boots - soulstealer - finish codex - zhonya's ring. Alternatively, you could get assloads of HP and lower your spellpower so you can survive while destiny gating while being beat on by opponents. If you find you are STILL getting squished, a good alternative is angel's guardian + teleport summoner skill. You can use tele while dead which is a life saver.

As far as the turret bait is concerned, if you have a gold card, why are you bothering with exhaust. the range on exhaust is lower than your gold card range and odds are the enemy has a spell to hurl at you that doesnt require attacking and has average range. most of the "melee" spells still have a certain degree of range like warwick's lifesteal. Also a lot of chars have a jump which means you will prob be dead. a WAY better strategy for getting kills is by getting them down to 1/3 hp-ish or sometimes even half hp if they are more squishy. recall back. let them push forward a bit (maybe even hit your tower) and then gate behind them with a gold card. easy kill. otherwise, go for the flash combo that I described earlier if flash is up.

Personally, I would stay away from combat TFs because utility for team battles isnt as high. the greatest thing about AP TF is that you dont really have to get close to the enemy and stay close to deal damage. Wildcard can usually hit 3/5 of the enemy champions in a pitch battle and if you stack AP, it will do decent damage. As well, your gold card gets expanded into a nuke on top of the stun. If you are REALLY die hard about combat TF's I would suggest still going AP and getting a lich bane. Stacking AP is easier than reg atk so you can turn your reg hit into a single target nuke. The move speed increase on lich bane is also welcome. Between gold cards, wild card, and lich bane reg attack nuke, you can basically nuke for the entire battle without rest.

Anyways, thats just my two cents from playing TF

Reep

11-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noviate View Post
as a pure TF user.. not my favourite guide. First off, if you dance in front of an opponent's turret... even if you manage to hit them, congrats! you just did less damage than a regular card throw! they will then commence eating you alive as you are one of the squishiest chars in the game. Also, ghost is... not so useful since your move speed is already decent. if they have any form of slow, your ghost wont matter anyways. Instead, flash is an INCREDIBLE summoner spell to get. once your opponent is at approx 1/3 hp and they dont wanna recall from lane, you can prepick a gold card and flash right up to them and unload for a garunteed kill pretty much. As far as items, I realize your build is what seems to be a hybrid? so I wont say too much about that. My personal item build is mana rod - spell boots - soulstealer - finish codex - zhonya's ring. Alternatively, you could get assloads of HP and lower your spellpower so you can survive while destiny gating while being beat on by opponents. If you find you are STILL getting squished, a good alternative is angel's guardian + teleport summoner skill. You can use tele while dead which is a life saver.

As far as the turret bait is concerned, if you have a gold card, why are you bothering with exhaust. the range on exhaust is lower than your gold card range and odds are the enemy has a spell to hurl at you that doesnt require attacking and has average range. most of the "melee" spells still have a certain degree of range like warwick's lifesteal. Also a lot of chars have a jump which means you will prob be dead. a WAY better strategy for getting kills is by getting them down to 1/3 hp-ish or sometimes even half hp if they are more squishy. recall back. let them push forward a bit (maybe even hit your tower) and then gate behind them with a gold card. easy kill. otherwise, go for the flash combo that I described earlier if flash is up.

Personally, I would stay away from combat TFs because utility for team battles isnt as high. the greatest thing about AP TF is that you dont really have to get close to the enemy and stay close to deal damage. Wildcard can usually hit 3/5 of the enemy champions in a pitch battle and if you stack AP, it will do decent damage. As well, your gold card gets expanded into a nuke on top of the stun. If you are REALLY die hard about combat TF's I would suggest still going AP and getting a lich bane. Stacking AP is easier than reg atk so you can turn your reg hit into a single target nuke. The move speed increase on lich bane is also welcome. Between gold cards, wild card, and lich bane reg attack nuke, you can basically nuke for the entire battle without rest.

Anyways, thats just my two cents from playing TF
If you read the guide regarding how to be evil, you will see my reasons for trolling people at the beginning. I've been experimenting with a lot of summoner spells and I find that ghost is so very useful. Not only is it good for chasing down the faster heros, it will also enable you to escape sticky situations. Flash not only has a much longer CD, it won't save you if you're being chased for a whole lane. The way I play TF is very aggressive, and I always find myself running from a hungry Cho'Goth or a suicidal Teemo. I can see why flash can be useful (especially for getting those 10 hp escapers), but the cooldown is far too long for my type of aggresive playstyle. I like to pick (improved) exhuast for easy early game kills along with shutting down tanks late game. I find that even if I can sucsessfuly gold card someone attacking me by a turret, they usually get away with 30% HP. Exhuast gets in a couple extra hits from the turret which is almost always the difference between life and death. Lastly, exhuast will blind the enemy so I can actually survive.

The "hybrid" part of my build is attackspeed. It helps soooo much with farming, and without it, I'm exactly what your TF is; AP. One of the few weaknesses of going AP TF is the ability to down turrets; you might as well be morgana. With a nice amount of attack speed you can actually down a turret/inhib rather fast. AP TF's are absolutely terrible late game when everyone has bundles of HP; you cannot dispute this. Sure, you can stun runners, but if your team is getting dominated, you're not going to do ****. If my team is defending a turret/inhib, I actually gate to a low hp turret (or ungaurded inhib) and try to down them. Usually 1 or 2 enemy champs will teleport back to defend, and that's when I bluepill and help defend my base. Without attackspeed, I can't take down turrets fast enough, no matter how much AP I have. Although it's not mentioned in the guide, Maldred's Bloodrazors are just pure win for Hybrid TF. Those scary tanks with oodles of HP that you can only tickle with your bundles of AP now take insane damage. The attack speed, damage, and passive provided by Bloodrazor also destroys turrets in a matter of seconds.

tl;dr

Pros of going pure AP

More initial burst damage

Cons of going pure AP

Cannot take out turrets
Tanks laugh at your patheticness

Pros of going hybrid

attack speed helps:
farming
downing turrets
(with bloodrazor):
downing tanks

Cons of going hybrid

Less initial burst damage (but it's compensated for by your attack speed!)

All in all I have played pure AP TF, and although I usually get more kills, late game I found myself completely useless. By going hybrid I can backdoor even the most organized teams.

Noviate

11-03-2009

ive hit up to 600 dmg per wildcard throw. ide hardly consider that bad damage. i haven't had much problem with late game esp because TF DOMINATES early/mid game which means that your items should be out of your opponent's league. As far as downing turrets, thats not a TF's job anyways. and AP TF does GREAT against minions. The minions that are with you when you make your push will all be alive and they can take down the turret just as fast as you can.

As far as backdooring is concerned, be prepared to get yelled at a LOT. although people think it is legal, it is still quite frowned upon for reasons i do not understand. i havent had too much difficulty with taking out tanks with hit and run tactics but usually i have a LOT more gold than them meaning that i have 400 AP by the time they get 3.5k-4k hp. Also, most tanks dont stack enough magic resist. from what ive seen, almost all tanks get mainly armour. the thing about bloodrazors is that if the opponent is at REALLY high hp, the bonus dmg u get from it isnt actaully all that much. nor can you stand there using aspd to down someone.

I also play a very aggressive style of TF and ide have to say, as long as you get those early kills, you are pretty golden for the rest of the game via utter domination of gate kills. Thats probably the reason why i choose flash. because its usually a garunteed kill when i use it.

Noviate

11-03-2009

on a side note, im not saying your build isnt viable but for me, i prefer the style of pure AP. i tried doing the whole aspd + AP thing and i found that the second i threw my first card, opponents instantly converge and crunch you. This especially happens in organized games where they have natural kill orders and TF is usually on the top of the list because of squishiness. One build that my friend tried that you might like is a tanker aspd build. instead of AP, he got armour and health. it seemed to work for him. but yeah, everyone has their own style and my choice is definitely with AP!

Reep

11-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noviate View Post
ive hit up to 600 dmg per wildcard throw. ide hardly consider that bad damage. i haven't had much problem with late game esp because TF DOMINATES early/mid game which means that your items should be out of your opponent's league. As far as downing turrets, thats not a TF's job anyways. and AP TF does GREAT against minions. The minions that are with you when you make your push will all be alive and they can take down the turret just as fast as you can.

As far as backdooring is concerned, be prepared to get yelled at a LOT. although people think it is legal, it is still quite frowned upon for reasons i do not understand. i havent had too much difficulty with taking out tanks with hit and run tactics but usually i have a LOT more gold than them meaning that i have 400 AP by the time they get 3.5k-4k hp. Also, most tanks dont stack enough magic resist. from what ive seen, almost all tanks get mainly armour. the thing about bloodrazors is that if the opponent is at REALLY high hp, the bonus dmg u get from it isnt actaully all that much. nor can you stand there using aspd to down someone.

I also play a very aggressive style of TF and ide have to say, as long as you get those early kills, you are pretty golden for the rest of the game via utter domination of gate kills. Thats probably the reason why i choose flash. because its usually a garunteed kill when i use it.
I did not say AP TF's have bad damage, because I, too, have taken out entire creep waves with one wild card. Backdooring is a perfectly legit strategy, it involves no glitches or exploits, it involves utilizing one of your powerful skills. Hiding in the bushes before the creeps spawn for first blood is frowned upon, I guess, but people still do it, because it works. I couldn't care less what's "ethical" in a video game.

Dude, the more HP someone has, the more Bloodrazor does... With the attack speed from all the items I suggested (Trinity Force, Beserker's Greaves, Nashor's tooth), you WILL do a insane amount of damage to any tank no matter how much hp they have.

Having more AP doesn't protect you from organized teams.

The main basis of going Hybrid is sacrificing burst damage for being much, much, much more useful late game, and possibly turning games around. It's not even much of a sacrafice as your standard attacks will hurt.

I tend to rush AP at beginning to mid game when TF really shines. The only difference is the fact that I spend my hard earnings on items that will increases my effectiveness against tanks and turrets, two things that AP TF's cannot take on no matter how much AP they have.

ALSO, I purchase quite a few of those AP + CD potions to compensate for lost AP

Noviate

11-03-2009

as i said, i havent had any problems taking out tanks. and even if bloodrazor takes out 2.5% that still takes a LONG LONG LONG time to kill a tank in which time you will be dead long before then

Noviate

11-03-2009

it ends up being... like 40 attacks later before you can finally kill the tank and also 600 dmg every approx 3.5-4 seconds with CD reductions is a LOT LOT better than 2.5% of 3000 x w/e your attack speed is for 4 seconds. attach that with another 550 or so from your gold card. although 2.5% seems really attractive. when you look at the numbers, its not.

Reep

11-03-2009

You're excluding the base attack damage. My gold cards hit for 100 or 200 less than yours, but my standard attacks do 150 every hit, exluding Bloodrazor's extra magic damage, and I attack at least twice a second.

I suggest you give a shot. If your team isn't feeding, you will have more damage.

To put things into perspective, with two Bloodrazors and just a lifesteal sceptor, I can solo baron ( at level 18)

feardragon

11-03-2009

Considering what you have to go through to get that 600 damage on Wild cards it's hardly worth it.

I mean, by the time you get to that point the other team is about to surrender because you've been farming them anyways or they're taking about 300 damage to it due to magic resist. That's the thing about TF. What do you do when you've thrown your gold card and wild cards if you haven't really dented their health? Pretty much all you can do is run and try and get another gold card before the kill you. Melee'ing them is usually suicide if they're not out-farmed.

1234567 ... 9