Advanced Twisted Fate Guide

123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

feardragon

10-31-2009

Good guide. The one thing that is the bane of my existence when I'm playing TF is a good tank. Gold card all I want, I can't do ANY damage to him and it's infuriating when they're, say, taking down a tower later in the game. What do you usually do in that situation? That as well as the banshee's veil situation frustrate me to no end late game when I feel my only usefulness is delaying things for 2 seconds and pushing lanes and getting out alive.

Oh, one thing I've noticed is TF is great at, not exactly backdooring(although he's good at that too), but pushing another lane REALLY fast when the enemy is attacking. Usually you can get at LEAST one of their teammates to pull back to defend their defenseless base. It's a situational gambit depending on how confident you are that your team can fend off the attackers without you in comparison to with you. The good thing about this is ult + gate will let you get back to your base the moment you're needed or as soon as their team sends people to ambush you(thus taking pressure off the attack). Once my team was getting destroyed due to a fed cho'gath who could not be killed and they all pushed mid around level 15. After talking to my team(PUG) I went bottom, pushed it all the way into their base and none of them came after me. I downed their inhibitor and the super minions helped a LOT in the defense of our base and we managed to push out and win the game thanks to it. But like I said, it's a situational/risky gambit that probably won't pay off 1 in every 15 games you play. But it's good to know your options.

Reep

10-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by feardragon View Post
Good guide. The one thing that is the bane of my existence when I'm playing TF is a good tank. Gold card all I want, I can't do ANY damage to him and it's infuriating when they're, say, taking down a tower later in the game. What do you usually do in that situation? That as well as the banshee's veil situation frustrate me to no end late game when I feel my only usefulness is delaying things for 2 seconds and pushing lanes and getting out alive.

Oh, one thing I've noticed is TF is great at, not exactly backdooring(although he's good at that too), but pushing another lane REALLY fast when the enemy is attacking. Usually you can get at LEAST one of their teammates to pull back to defend their defenseless base. It's a situational gambit depending on how confident you are that your team can fend off the attackers without you in comparison to with you. The good thing about this is ult + gate will let you get back to your base the moment you're needed or as soon as their team sends people to ambush you(thus taking pressure off the attack). Once my team was getting destroyed due to a fed cho'gath who could not be killed and they all pushed mid around level 15. After talking to my team(PUG) I went bottom, pushed it all the way into their base and none of them came after me. I downed their inhibitor and the super minions helped a LOT in the defense of our base and we managed to push out and win the game thanks to it. But like I said, it's a situational/risky gambit that probably won't pay off 1 in every 15 games you play. But it's good to know your options.
A good way to think of TF is an extremely mobile Ryze. Ryze has a stun-like ability, and one more nuke. When playing TF you really have to pick your fights; tanks, not a great idea. Obviously if you're defending a turret, you might as well attack the tank. A lot of the time I try to get hit by the tank to agro the turret. I do this for all players, actually. If I see a Rammus casting his ult at a turret, I'll walk into the ult because it will hit me, and the turret will attack him. Kayle's ranged splash attacks will agro the turret, as will poison from Teemo and Twitch. I have the same problem as you for taking out tanks that attack turrets, and that is why I get improved exhaust. It lowers their physical and magical defense, and the amount of damage you do will be substantially better. There are some Tanks you cannot take out (Dr. Mundo being my least favorite champion to fight), and that is the nature of your character.

Banshee's Veil is canceled if one hits the user with a Wild Card, and if you get Stinger + Golem buff, you can practically spam it. Blue cards will also cancel Banshee's Veil, I believe.

As for the pushing ability, you are very right. If I get Zhonya's Ring, a single wild card will 1kho creeps (besides the Cannon ones). TF tears through minions as if they're stepping stones. I actually do exactly what you said all the time, and I might put it in my guide (giving credit to you, of course). A nice trick is to sell your boots and grab boots of swiftness (or mobility if your gate is on CD) for maximum mobility. Not only does it give the possibility of downing an inhib, most of the time one or two champs will teleport back, as you said. Unless you are extremely fed and powerful, this is a much more effective thing to do instead of helping defend.

TF is definitely not a late game hero, which is why I try to utilize the Destiny combo as much as possible, and cooldown really helps with that.

feardragon

10-31-2009

Blue cards to get rid of banshee's veil. I really like that idea. But ya, the best part of my day when playing as TF is laning against the carries and shutting them down so they can never reach their late game glory. =]

That's pretty much my goal when I play TF. Push lanes and make carry's wish they decided to just watch a movie instead of playing LoL.

WhiteBlue

11-02-2009

One thought about this guide (which is awesome btw, with this, I've switched to TF as my main), instead of Chalice, why not get a Tear of the Goddess instead?

It seems that when you use pick a card, each time you lock a card, you get bonus mana. I've switched over from Chalice, and I seem to have really good results from having a giant mana pool that I don't exhaust for a LONG time, and when I need mana, I just recall and then gate to wherever.

I feel like I end up getting a lot more staying power in a lane, especially in the early game with the Tear.

Either way, thanks for the guide, greatly appreciated.

Reep

11-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBlue View Post
One thought about this guide (which is awesome btw, with this, I've switched to TF as my main), instead of Chalice, why not get a Tear of the Goddess instead?

It seems that when you use pick a card, each time you lock a card, you get bonus mana. I've switched over from Chalice, and I seem to have really good results from having a giant mana pool that I don't exhaust for a LONG time, and when I need mana, I just recall and then gate to wherever.

I feel like I end up getting a lot more staying power in a lane, especially in the early game with the Tear.

Either way, thanks for the guide, greatly appreciated.
Aye, Tear is a great item and it eventually turns into Archangel's Staff (which means more ap)

The only problem I have with it is the fact that you have to recall if you want your mana back. If you get stinger/Fiendish codex/Nashor's Tooth + Chalice, unless you enjoy spamming like a madman, you should never run out of mana. Chalice also offers a bit of magic defense (which is more than you think) that has, and I repeat, has saved my life.

Twisted Fate in my opinion doesn't have to have a ton of "staying power" to do well. In fact, I like it when my oppenents push lanes, it gives me opportunity to get a turret kill. Besides, even if you insist on having that staying power, why not just get Catalyst the Protector and eventually Rod of Ages? Catalyst the Protector gives even more staying power, especially with the HP regen at level up. Since TF is such an awesome farmer, you should be leveling up pretty damned fast. Rod of Ages gives you a ton of HP as well.

Now that I mention it, Rod of Ages gives a ton of MP as well. I might have to try getting Rod of Ages + Archangles staff.

Rod of Ages, Archangles Staff, Nashor's Tooth, and Trinity Force... I like it.

I'm gonna try that! Thanks.

Iskar

11-02-2009

One thing I didn't see mentioned that gives you absolute late game dominance is that you can waste mana at an absurd rate since you have a 90 sec Teleport (Gate).

Pick a card 24/7 until that Ashe player is tearing his hair out and bashing his face on the keyboard.

If you arn't spamming Pick A Card on every cooldown you're doing it wrong.

Reep

11-02-2009

If I understand what you're saying correctly, you're talking about lane dominance.

I talked about being aggressive in the beginning, and I guess I should clarify to be aggressive the whole game. Picking a gold card (and sometimes a red card) will cause the player to run away. I like to chase champions away from their creeps to deny exp, because it works. I remember laning against a Soraka. I had gold card above my head as much as possible, and she would run away fairly far every time I started to chase her. I just stood between her and the enemy ranged creeps, and I was actually several levels ahead of her purely because of the fact her being out of range of the EXP bonus from creeps dying.

WhiteBlue

11-03-2009

Absolutely - I think PAC definitely adds some mind games into the mix. I've played games where I'd fail up PAC on purpose and when people thought I was vulnerable, I'd start spamming gold cards.

In early game, people see the gold card and stay away from your creeps, which denies them not just exp, but gold too, which is pretty frustrating for carries that depend on a lot of gold.

Auralynx

11-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
Aye, Tear is a great item and it eventually turns into Archangel's Staff (which means more ap)

The only problem I have with it is the fact that you have to recall if you want your mana back. If you get stinger/Fiendish codex/Nashor's Tooth + Chalice, unless you enjoy spamming like a madman, you should never run out of mana. Chalice also offers a bit of magic defense (which is more than you think) that has, and I repeat, has saved my life.

Twisted Fate in my opinion doesn't have to have a ton of "staying power" to do well. In fact, I like it when my oppenents push lanes, it gives me opportunity to get a turret kill. Besides, even if you insist on having that staying power, why not just get Catalyst the Protector and eventually Rod of Ages? Catalyst the Protector gives even more staying power, especially with the HP regen at level up. Since TF is such an awesome farmer, you should be leveling up pretty damned fast. Rod of Ages gives you a ton of HP as well.

Now that I mention it, Rod of Ages gives a ton of MP as well. I might have to try getting Rod of Ages + Archangles staff.

Rod of Ages, Archangles Staff, Nashor's Tooth, and Trinity Force... I like it.

I'm gonna try that! Thanks.
Nice guide.

I've been doing much better with Twisted, though I'm still not especially good at him, since I started getting Rod after boots and some mana regen. The extra HP makes the difference between dying more or less incidentally in team fights and sticking around long enough for several gold cards, and the mana and AP don't hurt. I run Ignite, however, which makes a really excellent gold card followup for ganking purposes and saves me a little trouble in the need-more-ap department.

I've been trying to put together an item build I really like with CM, and this should help, but one observation: I've been finding that Guinsoo's Rageblade + Sheen works out better for me than a Trinity Force. Again, with the Rod coming in early it's not too difficult to stick around long enough for the cumulative attack speed to kick in, at which point you're pretty scary. There are other ways to do it (Nashor's Tooth is pretty excellent for AS purposes as well!) but I enjoy the extra phys damage stacked on as well.

feardragon

11-03-2009

I guess my ultimate opinion of TF is the following:

-Lane pusher
-Early game ganker
-Quick reinforcements
-Screws up carries
-Backdoorer
-Minor DPS
-Very squishy

The thing I've realized is he cannot carry a team. He can help a LOT but he really relies on the rest of his team to REALLY deal with the other champions later on. But if you guys work together and have reliable teammates, he's a great addition to a team. Ult, see team at nashor, gate, gold card team, wild card nashor and steal buff. Classic. Managed to do it 3 times so far. ^^ But then again I'm probably just getting lucky. But hey, it's just the luck of the draw.

123456 ... 9