Cobbling together an essay arguing for Ranked.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arblis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2012

So I'm putting together a big giant post about why Dominion is ready for ranked, to throw it into the Competitive Discussion section because hey why not.

I'm sure that there'll be lots of little details to disagree with, but I just wanna make sure I'm not leaving out any good possible arguments while writing this thing. So, here's some of the things I'm going to throw in. Tell me what I'm missing.

- Big changes with how Dominion works have pretty much stopped. It's stable.

- A common metagame exists
- - 4 top to attack and control the area, 1 bot to either push and force an enemy gank or withstand all harrassment and keep the bottom allied point safe.
- - General community agreement on which Summoner Spells have their place and why (One spell is even as common as SR's Flash)
- - Knowledge is power, and good players know how to watch where enemies are moving throughout the map.

- Champion Viability: There's nothing really wrong with the roster at the moment is there? Like with SR, there are permabans. There are situational picks. There are generally good champs. There are really bad champs.

- Frequent tournaments: There's obviously an interest in competition

- Time: They said Dominion needed time to mature before Ranked is implemented. It's been 8 months since Dominion was released, and both players and Riot know more about how League of Legends works than back at Release- where it took 9 months to get ranked. The game is far more balanced these days, and yet it's taken almost as long to get Ranked now as it did back when everyone was clueless. I think we've had enough time to get how to play.
- - (bonus snarky comment that won't be included cause it actually hurts the argument a little): They seemed to think TT was ready for ranked after less than four months. That didn't exactly hurt the mode any more than its already existing wounds.

- Sob Stories: I, and I'm sure many other Dominion lovers, don't really want to queue these days. We don't want to tank our tryhard rating when we're feeling tired or want to practice new things, and when we want to tryhard it up, we don't want to be paired with people who are practicing or uninterested in trying to improve or are really cold and have reflexes worse than a second at the moment.

Yup. All that's left to do is to make sure I didn't miss anything, and then write all fancy-like.

traxvenom

06-01-2012

You could also add how there won't be a lot of rage about "ELO hell" if they implement ranked. In Dominion, if you have one player constantly getting caught off guard and not knowing how to use their champ properly, it's much less of a problem than it is on SR because 4 strong players who know what they're doing can still do a lot of damage. In fact that one player who's not doing so well could serve as bait for crucial moments and be a vital part of the game.

Since Dominion is more about fun, fast-paced action, there will be a lot less rage and that will undoubtedly attract a lot of SR players who are tired of stressful ranked games. Since it's pretty hard for one "bad" player to ruin the whole experience, the ranked community for Dominion will therefore be more collaborative and willing to accept newer players.

Glorious Bird

06-02-2012

1. Not balanced
2. Not large enough playerbase to fuel ranked
3. No balance changes are ever added to Dom because it's not popular or important

/thread

Phourc

06-02-2012

Not that they post often, but Rioters claim they 1) know we want ranked and 2) are totes working on it, you guys - but they can't tell us what it is until it's out of 'subject to change' territory. Hopefully, this means working out the few remaining kinks of the mode (wave respawn, especially - maybe even a tweak or two for the aura).

Quote:
has riot forgotten about dominion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
nope, and i'm not just talking about myself. i can't/won't say much else since it belongs to live design, but it very much is already 'on their radar' as it were. i know things might not be progressing as quickly as everyone might hope, but that team has a lot on their radar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
The question of ranked in Dominion is bigger than just flipping a switch and turning it on. Our ultimate goal is to create a really solid experience for players, and before we make changes to our services we always evaluate how it will affect our players first. Since a lot can still change with our plans for Dominion, the live design team isn't really comfortable talking about specifics yet.

Our goal with Dominion has always been to create a powerful and engaging game mode that pushes the envelope of the MOBA genre. There are lots of ways to approach that, and we don't want to talk about something you might not actually see in the game. That's never a good experience for you as a player.

That doesn't mean we're sitting still, though; it just means we're keeping our work behind closed doors until it's strong enough to be examined and scrutinized. I appreciate how passionate you guys are and that you took the time to post your concerns in this thread. Sorry for the "no comment," but I hope I've at least given you some insight into how we think about problems and how much we care about our players' experiences in League. (Hell, they put it in my title.)

Sauron

06-02-2012

Fun fact: statistically speaking, Dominion is not very far behind SR for overall champion balance. TT on the other hand is quite unbalanced.

Here's my tired opinion/rant:

The main problem with Dominion is Catch-22:

1). Riot wants the map to "mature" before moving it places, which can't happen when the Live Team isn't doing a dаmn thing.

2). Riot doesn't want to make ranked for something that isn't popular, but Dominion isn't popular because it hasn't had ranked for so long.

3). Riot wants the mode to be competitive, but doesn't advertise it at all.

Ultimately Dominion's popularity problems and ranked problems both boil down to "Riot hasn't done a dаmned thing since release, even with tons of feedback." It isn't a problem with the community, and much like our sibling TT community we really are trying our hardest to keep the mode alive:

1). People like TheFeedski and the shoutcasters who sacrifice much time and even personal money into bettering the community and running tournaments.

2). Anyone who runs Dominion streams. None of you are obligated to do this nor do you make any money by doing it. So you're cool guys that don't afraid of anything.

3). Players of competitive teams that actively gather together and participate in tournaments even when there aren't any rewards. We give input and interviews to Riot's game analysts which get ignored somewhere along the line.

4). People like me who applied to Riot offering to help with Dominion and got turned down because loldominion.

5). Other high Elo players who brave through the queue times day after day, and stick with the mode and all its problems instead of leaving for other games. Its good to know I'm not the only crazy one.

6). Posters on this forum who are eager to engage in constructive criticism and gameplay discussion, which sadly gets 99% ignored by Riot (thanks rickless).

So what else can the community do? With the limited avenues available we have been trying our hardest at filling in for the missing Live Team for many months now. This is not the Dominion community's fault in the slightest. Its not the TT community's fault in the slightest for their predicament either. So, in short,

Report Live Team for Going AFK in company pl0x.

Also,

Report Live Team for Assisting Enemy Team (Blizzard) pl0x.

Report RiotMontag for Refusing to Communicate pl0x.

Report Tamat for Negative Attitude hurpadurp.

Zeiro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2012

I know you guys on the higher elos probably won't have problems like "omg he doesn't (literally) know how to play dominion and he's ignoring our advice", but I think we should first start something more basic.

A dominion tutorial.

If you play a game, they generally give you a tutorial (esp current games), and that would be about the "main part" of the game. Anything that the game didn't give a proper tutorial to - you can practically ignore. The tutorials at the start of the game are usually the more important one.

I'm not a high elo player or a competitive one, but until I see a Dominion tutorial, I don't see this mode becoming popular.

Dominion is so different from SR that it needs its own tutorial. I also believe that it's lack of tutorial is makes it seem that Dominion isn't "innately advertised" by the game itself. The second part of the tutorial gives you Summoner's Rift. (TT is still the same mode as SR, only different map and diff player count that leads to its champion balance problems)

It's a basic thing, but also fundamental.

Phourc

06-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Report Live Team for Going AFK in company pl0x.
****! I forgot to report before I left lobby ):

Arblis

06-02-2012

Well... Dang, yeah. Now I am sad.

I wonder what exactly they're working on. What could be so sensitive or calamitous or revolutionary that it needs to be kept secret? I know they've been burned by announcing things too early multiple times, but.. this isn't announcing a brand new amazing thing, is it? From the sounds of it, they're working on infrastructure to make ranked play better or something. Is that really something that must be hidden? Especially from a community that has little faith that there's actually work being done to support them?

Bleh. You know, it'd be nice if Montag could give us frequent reports like "Secret Infrastructure Project A has hit a few hitches, but Secret Team Member R brought up a neat idea so we're brainstorming Secret Infrastructure Project C, which might even replace A if it turns out as good as it sounds"
Even that would help the tiniest littlest bit.

Scuse me, I'm gonna go drown my sorrows in ice cream.

Cherokeepimp

06-02-2012

3 words why you shouldnt bother:

RIOT DOESNT CARE

Phourc

06-02-2012

Cherokee with upvotes? fixed. Seriously dude, you only post to be a negative Nancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arblis View Post
I wonder what exactly they're working on. What could be so sensitive or calamitous or revolutionary that it needs to be kept secret? I know they've been burned by announcing things too early multiple times, but.. this isn't announcing a brand new amazing thing, is it? From the sounds of it, they're working on infrastructure to make ranked play better or something. Is that really something that must be hidden? Especially from a community that has little faith that there's actually work being done to support them?
It's not so much secret, as 'subject to change'.

Look at the steath rework - it sounded awesome, it looked awesome on paper, players fell in love/hate with the new system, then oh lawl it didn't work out. Why not? Well, we didn't know but the people testing it, who are most likely to know, didn't like it for some reason. Maybe it actually sucked? Really, all it did was make us want something we'll never have, and Riot learned from that.