[Tanking] How much MR/AR is too much

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chingmeister

12-02-2009

As the game goes on every (decent) caster gets a Lichbane which converts AP into physical damage more or less every few seconds with spells. This means that you will take physical damage from physical dps and a roughly even mix of physical/magic damage from magical dps.

Some resists of each doesn't work since most people have MR/AR penetration. So I would suggest entirely foregoing MR so their -MR items/runes/masteries are all useless and just stacking armor and health.

End game what makes casters dangerous is a nuke>lichbane attack>nuke>lichbane attack which gives them roughly 4x AP damage. You can cut this basically in half with armor since casters are stacking AP and -MR so can't get through armor.

Stacking a Wardens, 4x sunfire capes, and boots makes you pretty nigh unkillable vs. anyone. It also means you do pretty decent damage in the middle of a group fight even while cc'd.

Mundo + Wardens + 4x sunfire capes + boots of swiftness = gg.

So its not MR/AR...its AR/Health. MR is usefull short game and worthless long game.

Edit: Also, armor multiplies hitpoints. So getting a bunch of both makes you very, very tough.

Mr Wednesday

12-03-2009

I'm pretty sure there's an artificial diminishing returns system for armor implemented in the game mechanics. Something like a scaling factor applied for each point above 500. Sadly, I can't find where I read it, although it's referenced in Jonas Sterling's Rammus guide.

JohnCataldo

12-04-2009

Just as a minor point, sometimes you should decide on armor/health/MR/dodge based on what enemy is the most dangerous.

Maybe you are facing 3 casters and 2 physical DPS, so you'd think you'd want more MR. But if the enemy has Master Yi soloing (and he doesn't have weird magic hitting items or such), and let's say Yi gets a few kills, suddenly the one you care about most is Yi. This suggests you should get armor and dodge before health and MR.

It's never quite so simple, but I *often* base some choices on who looks to be the most dangerous enemy on the team (which can change over the course of the game if some enemy ends up fed, but at the start it's whoever is soloing).

JohnCataldo

12-04-2009

Also, for those who don't understand the math behind the fact that there's no diminishing returns, here's yet another way to think about it:

Let's say you have 80% damage reduction (for physical or magic, doesn't really matter). Some people seem to think getting another 10% wouldn't help much. 90 isn't that much more than 80, right?

But: 90% damage reduction means you take HALF AS MUCH DAMAGE as 80%.

Yet, at the same time, that +10% damage blocked is the exact same difference from 0% to 10%. There's no diminishing returns.

There are other ways to think about it that are more confusing, but this is one of the ways that makes the most sense to me, intuitively.

PapaMeltin

12-09-2009

This debate is actually just like the mpg debate.

Going from 10 to 20 mpg is better than 50 to 60. That extra 10 miles per gallon takes you an extra 100% for the first car, and only 20% further for the second car.

Although, that's the opposite effect as discussed with AR. The 100 more armor will make you live 100% longer whether it's from 0 to 100 or 100 to 200. You reduce damage less, but that's not the key number.

So maybe this discussion is backwards from the mpg debate. Diminishing returns from MPG, not from AR/MR. Math is weird. =)