Quinlan, the Electric Hydra

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SephirothWontDie

09-20-2012

ok, so after seeing a few posts including people wanting a hydra, i came up with this. still in the works, so, if you feel something is off, let me know. for a general description, this is what i have: he has a blue colored body and heads, it has scales, it bears no weapon, has no back legs, only front ones, and has a tail that extends behind it a small ways. its underbelly looks sort of yellow-ish, but faintly so. each head is a different color: first head slowly fades into a pruple at the neck, then into red, the second head slowly fades into green at the neck, then into yellow, the third head slowly fades into grey at the neck, then into black.

Name: Quinlan, the Electric Hydra

Lore:

Quinlan had looked innocent and harmless, even walking up to strangers to simply enjoy their company. At least, before it was experimented on. Its life in the hands of these strangers had been a good one. It was fed, cared for, and cleaned up after. However, when the experiments started, it had felt immediate regret for accepting such comfort if they were only going to cause it pain. It had thought that its presence here was to comfort others. This had not been the case. The experiments on Quinlan were quite painful, causing it to escape when possible. The day had come when it had almost reached the end of its long journey. It had escaped, tripping the scientists as it made its way out of the doors, almost reaching the final set of doors standing between it and freedom. As it had tasted freedom, it felt a sharp pain in its neck, followed by drowsiness. It struggled in vain to crawl itself the last few feet between it and the now seemingly enormous gates. It felt its vision slip away into hallucinations before it had passed out.
When it awoke, it had found itself to be seeing in three different directions. As it gazed around, it had eventually found itself. It thought at first, it was looking into a reflective surface of some kind, but instead it found that it had looked different. Quinlan was a beast, one that has been tampered with by the scientists of Noxus in an attempt to make a weapon. it seemed more intelligent too, it heard itself scream. Immediately, within its head, it heard a shout. "Stop screaming you fool", the voice had told it. Another similar sounding voice invaded its head. This voice sounded more compassionate. "Calm yourself," it replied, "We have every right to be alarmed!" He had wondered what was going on and then the voices explained everything to it. He had been experimented on by the scientists, turning it into a more ferocious looking creature. The additional heads had personalities of their own. Although it could not speak the common language of the humans, it understood their words. While listening to the diabolic humans talking, right there in front of it, it realized their intent. It roared with ferocity, attempting its final escape. A sharp pain in its neck once more. This time, it had not been affected, hit was immune to the effects of the mysterious object that had put it into a deep slumber earlier. He had succeeded in escaping and vowed revenge, in secret, on Noxus for doing such things to it.

"This creature is truly a menace, but who can blame it for what was done to it?" - Civillian who witnessed Quinlan's final escape

Role: Melee, Fighter

Abilities:

Passive: One Step A-Head:
When struck by an enemy champions basic attacks, Quinlan grows an addtional head for 4 seconds, stacking up to 3 times(one for each head). The heads remain for as long as Quinlan is in combat. 1 second cooldown before reaching max stacks, 7.5 after they disappear.
Each of Quinlan's additional heads attack nearby enemy units, dealing 10/15/20/25(+.15 Total AD). These heads can not be targeted and disappear 4 seconds after the last head was grown. Each head has attack speed equal to Quinlan's attack speed.

Lightning Strike:
Quinlan imbues one of its heads with electricity and prepares to lunge at the enemy, dealing physical damage. Depending on which head strikes, it will have a different effect.
Red: Quinlan strikes out fiercely with its red head, dealing 30/50/70/90/110(+.4 Bonus AD)(+.2 AP) and fearing the enemy for 1.5 seconds.
Yellow: Quinlan strikes out carefully with its yellow head, dealing 30/50/70/90/110(+.6 Bonus AD)(+.2 AP) and pulling the enemy to it.
Black: Quinlan strikes out viciously with its black head, dealing 30/50/70/90/110(+.4 Bonus AD)(+.4 AP) and causing the target to bleed for 10/20/30/40/50(+.2 Total AD)(+.2 AP) magic damage over 4 seconds.
Cost: 70 Mana
Cooldown: 6 Seconds
Range: 350

Huddle:
Quinlan forms a defensive stance with its heads, granting him 10/20/30/40/50 Armor and Magic Resist for 5 seconds. During this time, Quinlan's auto attacks will deal 10/15/20/25/30(+.4 Armor)(+.5 Magic Resist) additional magic damage.
Cost: 80 Mana
Cooldown: 12 Seconds

Spark Bite:
Quinlan slectrifies its jaws, causing its next basic attack deals 25/40/55/70/95(+.7 Bonus AD)(+.5 AP) additional magic damage.
Cost: 55 Mana
Cooldown: 10 Seconds

Wrap:
Quinlan wraps its heads arount a target champion, causing them to be suppressed for 3 seconds. During this time, Quinlan is rooted in place because of the wieght of the champion. It may not cast Lightning Strike during this time, but may still cast Huddle and Spark Bite.
Over the duration, Quinlan deals 125/275/425(+.5 Armor)(+.5 Magic Resist) physical damage to the suppressed champion.
Cost: 100 Mana
Cooldown: 80 Seconds
Range: 400

Taunt:
~a series of growling sounds come from each of the heads as they nod and gesture towards the front of them, they then make gorwling noises that sound a little like laughter~

Joke:
~Quinlan's heads begin fighting with one another, eventually ending in them getting tangled up, then untagnling them~

Upon champion selection:
~a growl sound is heard~

Other quotes:
(Quinlan has not mastered english and has nothing to say other than growling sounds)

so? its just a little idea i came up with quickly. feedback would be nice, so tell me how to balance it.

CardianChevalier

09-20-2012

Probably the most balanced hydra idea ive seen. And very well done, too. My only question is, how is it determined which head bites with the Q skill? Is it random? Because if it is, it might be a little hard to plan around. The effects are good, but what if you wanted the snare, but wound up with the fear? Also on the ultimate, is this an only surpression skill, or does it deal DoT? Cause I can picture him squeezing the champion he's targeted. And if he can still cast Spark Bite and Huddle, how would that affect his ultimate?

Over all I really like him. Like I said, probably the most balanced idea for a hydra I've seen so far.

SephirothWontDie

09-20-2012

the q is based off of twisted fate's red/gold/blue card ability, it has the same mechanics, so it randomizes and then you hit it again to select the head you want. also, i forgot damage on ult, lol. but generally, it will be a DoT and huddle and spark bite wouldnt affect it. it woul go on the same, reason he cant use lightning strike is cuz the heads will be tangled up. spark bite is on basic attack, which he will still do, and huddle gives him armor, mag resist, and damage based on both, but overall, nothing changes except he now hold a champ, cant move for 3 seconds, and cant use lightning strike. thanks for your review.

CardianChevalier

09-20-2012

Ok. I understand now. I can picture this more clearly.

If you could take a look at Neppy, I would be real appriciative. I've been following your comments on here and I think you would like him or at least give him good feedback. :3

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ight=nepenthis

And if you've already looked, then nevermind. lol

Ancient Pire

09-20-2012

okay, i like the concept but 2.5 sec root at level 1 is op among other thingsa

JustValiant

09-20-2012

Very nice idea, would the Hydra be somewhat of a look-alike with baron?

SephirothWontDie

09-20-2012

no. i included a small description at the top of the thread, read through it all if you want a general idea of what Quinlan looks like.

Venedicae

01-22-2013

Lore - Nice, I liked the words you used and the story itself.
Abilities - The numbers are not too high, not too low, nice. Q looks like TF's Q, but doesn't matter, I guess that, as the three effects are good to start a fight, either in early or late game, one of them could deal a little less damage, maybe the red one. I liked how both the passive and the spells are related to how the champion looks like, and it's lore.
Quotes - I liked them. In the selection, the first head could do a thicker growl; the second one, a normal growl and the third one, a bit thinner growl. (idk haha)
Overall - The name is nice, the idea of a electric hydra is unusual. This champ would be great to start a teamfight. I like it.

shadowcrusnik

02-27-2013

This is an extremely balanced hydra champion, and would fit this game perfectly, but using spark bite during ultimate doesnt make sense, since it requires a head to attack, wouldn't that same head be able to use lightning strike? Anyways overall a pretty well made AD/AP hybrid bruiser, if you want please check out my Sea Serpent champion

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3169890

SephirothWontDie

02-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcrusnik View Post
This is an extremely balanced hydra champion, and would fit this game perfectly, but using spark bite during ultimate doesnt make sense, since it requires a head to attack, wouldn't that same head be able to use lightning strike? Anyways overall a pretty well made AD/AP hybrid bruiser, if you want please check out my Sea Serpent champion

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3169890
spark bite is a basic attack modifier and lightning strike is lunging out at enemies. thus, since the heads will be wrapped around an enemy, they cant lunge out for the strike. but, they can still attack a champion in melee range, so they can still use spark bite.