How to Jungle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shinako

07-08-2012

I think every jungler should start with armor+ 5 pots.

It gives you more sustain so you can jungle more, gank more, and are less likely to die during ganks/counterjungling.

Starting with anything else means you have to go back to base sooner and that costs time that could be used elsewhere.

Misticaltom

07-08-2012

Lots of good information around, altho not nearly incomplete, I suggest reading this, AND looking around the interwebs for more information on jungling.

I've got my own Pot of information to share, so I'ma do it! Lets see, which topic to adress, AH!
Starting Items.
Cloth Armor and 5 Pots is a standard Path, original and totally solid, allows you to jungle, take a hit, and properly sustain up, even if unneeded or slower than Boots. The primary reason you go here is for weaker junglers that need it, or Strong Duelists who can use that Cloth armor to straight up beat down enemy junglers who either Invade, or you counter Jungle. a WW with boots won't be fighting a n Olaf with Cloth armor for very long.

Boots 3 Pots is s a SOLID option for the stronger faster junglers, like Udyr, Lee Sin, and Mundo. it gives you the speed to move thorugh camps to clear them, and really helps out in ganks for those like Udyr, who lack strong gap closers. If you intend to run around ganking, and clearing the jungle fast yet having to back sooner, go for this.

Regroth Pendant, 1 Pot is a strong farmer's option, and great for any Jungler rushing a Philo. It allows you to heal up if say you're low, but need to hold down a lane for a team mate as he just got killed or got that first blood and had to heal up. It lets you regen health without activly jungling, meaning a sucessful gank in mid that left you at 35 Health can be turned into 200 Health in a meh amount of time as you head bot for that easy double gank as Jarvan. Tanks do prefer this as Philo is wonderfull for them, altho many killers like Udyr or Olaf can go this route too, Philo solves some mana problems afterall.

Vamp Scepter - This guy is the if you can use it, USE IT type of item for me. It allows Auto Attack heavy junglers to infinitly farm that jungle, that lane, and heal up a ton from it if they'er good, or go even if they're not. Tryndameres and's Jax's And Gangplank's get this if they prefer to infinitly Farm instead of gank, also allows a faster Maldreds.

Dorans Blade starters.....Do you like Pantheon? Riven? How about ummm......some other killer? Dorans Blade gives far more Bang than a jungler needs, and doesn't build into anything, it's straight early advantage here. Lets that Pantheon jungle, AND Gank without his good sustain, WHILE takinga beating and dealing more damage. It's strong, works well, but if you don't get that early kill, won't help you as much as getting that Maldreds or Philo down would. Also No boots, so only go for this if you've got some form of CC!

Thats my throw in here!

FatMii

07-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinakoX2 View Post

It gives you more sustain so you can jungle more, gank more, and are less likely to die during ganks/counterjungling.

Starting with anything else means you have to go back to base sooner and that costs time that could be used elsewhere.
You are incorrect on the part about less likely to die during counter jungling. In fact, you are more likely to die going cloth and 5 pots because the junglers and laners have an easier time chasing you down compared to going boots and 3 pots.

MCMCMAN2

07-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMii View Post
Surprising to see such a low elo player know pretty much all the basics of jungling. I'm actually pretty curious to see why you are at such a low elo. I'm also wondering why your rune page and masteries are terrible if you follow TheOddOne. Siege Commander and Good Hands on a jungler... And I'll pitch in about Skarner a bit. Skarner is good at counter jungling and chasing but his ult is pretty much useless mid-late game because any competent player would know to build QSS. I'll add you in game MCMCMAN2 so I can spectate one of your jungle games and maybe help you out a bit. Don't expect me to duo queue with you though.

I main jungle but my ranked elo is only 1282 since I don't play much ranked. Pretty sure I can hit silver elo if I play ranked.
The reason I run siege commander in jungle is because i like being able to hurt towers after a good gank, if they want to push. For example, if im on blue team, and we can succesfully push the top tower down by around 11 minutes, that means that i have easy access to their red buff and their golems. However, its been a really long time since i looked into my masteries, and i had set them up for jungling around level 25. I really should be going 9/21/0. But, honestly, I dont know why i still have good hands, because i used that a long time ago when i died alot more often.
As for my rune pages, I got bored of working on em and bought leona, so my quints are out of date. I run armor/level seals because i feel like i dont really need the armor that early against most mobs, and that masteries supliments that fairly well, and i prefer that lvl 18 reduction on damage, for nearly everyone. Most of my junglers have the same rune builds anyway.

MCMCMAN2

07-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinakoX2 View Post

Cloth 5 actually limits you alot. You may win duels, but you wont have the ganking strenth or the sustain to really play effectivly.

doofykid

07-09-2012

I found this post really helpful for i am trying to pick up jungling.

More importantly, can anyone give me some tips for using Malphite in the jungle? tactics, builds, and jungle paths would be much appreciated. thanks

MCMCMAN2

07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofykid View Post
I found this post really helpful for i am trying to pick up jungling.

More importantly, can anyone give me some tips for using Malphite in the jungle? tactics, builds, and jungle paths would be much appreciated. thanks
Ive been doing a lot of jungle malphite, and hes probably the best tank jungler in the game. The path id recomend in a full clear going wolves, blue, wraiths, golems, red, wraiths gank. Easy and basic.

For skill order, id recommend E-W-Q-Q-Q-R-Q-E-Q-E-R-E-E-W-W-W-W.
Get E and W for fast clears, then Q for ganking, as with ult. Then E for damage. W is good for late game tanking, but i dont love it early.

Smaller tips, standing behind the big wraith will let u hit all 4 wraiths. You can see it in TheOddOne's jungle olaf, because hitting his axes is the same as your auto attacks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkZr-W6Jn7Q

For items i start regrowth and 1 pot. Use your 1st pot on blue. After, i B when i am either next to dead, or when i can afford basic 350 boots, and the rest of my philo stone. Then i gank and farm more till i get HoG. Then i grab merc. After i get a giants belt then frozen heart, finish a sunfire cape, then get a guardians angel. Ill grab a Randuins after that, sell my philo stone, and get some more tankyness. I might upgrade it to shurelias, but not always. And of course, elixars.

Hope this helps.

TbXie

07-18-2012

1500 EUWEST player here main toplane/jungle

Skarner is one of the best junglers btw. He counterjungles, clears, scales, has utility AND has incredible L1 ganks even due to the insane duration on his Qslows since you can just spam it like a baws

Play him more and you'll change your opinion. He's a top 5 jungler ingame.

davidkim2106

12-08-2012

I'm sorta new to jungling, can someone tell me how to effectively jungle with Tryndamere?

TheEliteBraxton

02-06-2013

What about Khazix? I play him top lane mostly but i want to learn how to jungle with him, Good idea?