How to Jungle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MCMCMAN2

05-30-2012

Ive been seriously appaled by the junglers I see in my ranked and draft games. I am currently around B3, so i am FAR from being in the range of great players, but the players I see have really been scaring me. I main as a jungler, but obviously does not mean that it is my only role.

But Just in case I could help one person, here’s a quick little guide.

Part 1- Champ Select

There are alot of different junglers in the game, and all will deal signifiant damage. If you plan to jungle, I recommend learning all the junglers you plan to play extensively, meaning their strengths and weaknesses. I also recommend you do the same for most other junglers, simply because it will help you fight them.
Of course, this wont cover every jungler, but only some of the ones I am used to and other common ones.

Strengths and weaknesses you can abuse on your own champions.

Nasus- Right now, he is one of the most powerful junglers. His slow is basically an exhaust. He can snowball really hard early game. But taking his red practically shuts him down.

Nautilus- The King of CC. He fits in with comps that focus lanes with large damage, but he does 0 damage at lvl 1. Invades are possible, but not always advised.
Olaf- Hes fallen out of favor, but I still love him. He has great clears, and is so powerful, even in mid game. He can duel effectively, but can be invaded on because he normally jungles with low hp.

Lee Sin- Great for teams with burst, as his E is an amazing slow. However, he has fallen out of favor due to a lackluster early game and his ability to be out farmed early.

Cho’gath- One of the fastest clears in the game. The double smite (ult and smite) is a fast 2000 damage to barons and dragons, making them really safe.

Nunu- One of the most fun champions to counter jungle with. Like cho, the double smite is great for dragons and barons, but you have it at lvl 1, not lvl 6, and the 20 second cooldown makes it incredible for early farming. Plus, your W scales amazing into late game for buffing the adc.

Maokai- Fairly easy to counter jungle because of the lack of damage early game. However, he has an incredible clear time on red and blue. Most maokais will start blue and then go immediately to red, saving smite. This lets him get a fast level 3 gank, sometimes before the other lanes reach level 2.

Elise- She can be really dangerous with her stun and rappel. Her clear isn’t amazing the 1st time, but as the game progresses she can demolish camps. She is a strong counter jungler, but she is also fairly mana dependent early game outside of spider form, so 95% of Elise’s start blue. Take her red to slow her early game.

Jarvan- He is an incredible duelist, and his ult is a game changer. After level 6, with EQ, ult, and flash, he can travel half the lane in a split second. There is no guaranteed way to shut him down early, because of his ability to duel and counter jungle.

Xin- Hes a lot like Jarvan. His dueling potential early is very powerful, and he scales incredibly. His ult is too a game changer in team fights.

Sejuani- Post rework, shes scary. Her clear is incredibly fast, her ganks are dangerous, and her ult is one of the best in the game. Her counter jungling is better than most now, save for a few designed to counter jungle.

Trundle- He is still a competent jungler, but now as much powerful now, despite the buffs in his visual upgrade. The lack of CC reduction on his W means he can be kited really really easily now.

Zac- An incredibly scary jungler. His E can come from nowhere, and he is too strong a duelist early game to counter effectively. Being manaless, he can start either red or blue.

Amumu- He is so easy to counter jungle. At the low elo im trying to help, teams will normally only stand near blue, so you can easily steal his wraiths, and even red. If your feeling ballsy, sit with your mid in his wraiths bush ( the one near the lane) and kill him when he walks in, taking his blue.

Malphite- Hes by nature a pretty fast jungler, but also a bad lvl 1 fighter. Pick a champion like Alistar or Shyvana to kill him early.

Part 2- Playing LoL
There is so much to this part, Im going to break it int sub sections.

Part 2.1- Your initial clear.
This is a dangerous time for all junglers. You are subject to getting camps stolen, specificly buffs, primarily red. Instruct your top and bot lanes to scout around your jungle, and watch both you red and your wraiths. Golems aren't as important because when you arrive their, any steals will have respawned. A lot of champions get a smiteless blue, then go immediately to red, getting an early gank.

Part 2.2- Counter jungling ("cj")
This revolves around stealing camps from the enemy, be it dipping in and out for their wraiths, or grabbing the two buffs. Whatever the type, it hurts the other jungler. It is most effective at lower levels, when they are desperate for the creeps, but it is always an option.
Some champions are amazing counter junglers, especially those with fast clear times. Personally, I love to counter jungle as Udyr, even though hes not that popular anymore (until spirit guard). I will almost always steal the enemy wraiths, as well as their red. Shyvana andNunu are also great for this, just due to their speed.

2.3- Warding
Wards win games. It isnt a supports job to ward. Its the teams job. Everyone should be buying wards, save for the AD carry because he has his support. Mid should ward the bushes. Top should ward river and maybe tri-bush. The jungler should be warding jungle entrences. Also, it doesnt hurt to counter ward dragon. Especially when your planning to fight it. These counter wards (pink ones) are essential. Your support may get them, but you should if he isnt.

2.4- Items
Starting items
After the start of Season three, the only real starting items are Machete and 5 pots. Save for a few champions, such as fiddlesticks, doing anything else only hurts you drastically.

Right now, most junglers are going for a support build. Primarilly, a Bulwark AND Locket. The support can sometimes get some gold for the items, but if not it is your responsibility. Otherwise, tankyness is almost always a must.

2.5 Know the timers.
Every mob has a respawn timer. Know them. Memorize them. Know when the have died, and when they will respawn again.
Wraiths, Golems, and Wolves-50 seconds.
Blue Golem and Red Lizard- 5 minutes (approximatly 7, 12, 17, 22 mins is when you need to know)
Dragon- 6 minutes. Tell your team 1 min in advance so they can get into a position.
Baron- 7 minutes. This requires alot of prep, so I dont think the timer will help you alot.

Always let your team know when the buffs, drag, and baron will respawn. It is your job to know, not theirs.

2.6- Buff control.
This is important. Never, ever, ever, gank a far lane if your blue buff is up soon. Always try to donate blue to the mid (or whatever lane, if the mid doesnt need it). Red is iffy. Normally, you can take the red for yourself, but it is also beneficial on the AD, so if you dont really care, tell them to get it.
*Note* Regardless if you or a team mate get the buff, its always better to have your team it than an enemy. If that means you take your mids blue as opposed to the other jungler, take it. The same goes for invading buffs. No matter who gets it on your team, its better than them having it.

2.7- Smite Control.
Smite has around a one minute cool down. That means if no major objectives are around yet, then use it. You can use it to steal the enemy's wraiths or golems if hes trying it. You can use it to get out of the jungle faster. But, if your torn between using it on your red and using it on drag, save it for drag. It’s better to secure the dragon than get a faster red.

2.8- When to smite.
There are certain times when you need to save smite for the last hit. This includes most invades, dragon, and baron. Also, any time you feel you are going to be pressured. But when securing your own blue the 1st time, or most of your reds, you can smite it as the 1st hit. This just gives the ability time to cool off.
But remember. Never try to use it to rush a drag or baron, as it will only screw you over.

2.9- When to CJ
Counter Jungling is always a risky venture. Obviously, stealing buffs should always be a target, but you shouldnt always go out of your way to steal the other jungle.
1st, if ever you see that mid is missing, counter jungling is a bad idea, unless they literally just recalled.
2nd, if they side lanes are missing on the side your CJing, then you are most likely screwed. Dont do it.

Why you want to steal their jungle- The reason behind it is that it is stealing farm from them. If you take their wraiths for example, then they have 2 options. Take a risk and go into your jungle, or deal with you getting ahead. Either way, they arent getting a great deal. Going to CJ is something you do when you are ahead., as your jungle is the same as theirs, but taking theirs just duplicates your income, and hurts theirs, but if they catch you, they cant stop you. I know it sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many people cant understand it.

Another reason to CJ is if your in the area. If you are in mid river bush, and you see the jungle far away, then dip into their jungle for some wraiths, only if sitting in mid isn’t getting a gank. The reason I cite the wriaths so much is because they are quick, easy to get, and spawn quickly.

2.10 (yeah, I know.)- Ganking
The easiest lanes to gank are as follows, top, then mid, then bot. Top because they only hav 1 way to run, back or into the river. Next is mid because they have both rivers. And finally bot, because its always warded. Everywhere.

Because of that, place your attention accordingly. However, dont stop ganking bot. They will most likely need it the most. After you get your oracles, then start ganking there alot, unless your lane is kicking ass. Of course, they're are exceptions to this rule. If they have a tryndamere top, or a similar snowballer, then basically babysit the lane. Dont leach xp, but try to zone trynd out. After lvl 6, ganking him wont really work. Your top shouldn’t lose anyway, but helping him will just make sure.

2.11- Feeding lanes.
The jungler is almost always going to be the weakest on your team, tied with the support. Assume your WW is 0-3 to an olaf. It doesnt matter if their jungler helped or not. Olaf is probably 2 or three levels ahead of the both you. He can probobly kill you both at 1 time, so there is no reason to suicide. Let them stick under there tower. Its better than 2 more kills for them. Go focus on other lanes. I know this sounds odd to hear, but if they are losing, dont gank. Obviously, if they are losing by maybe 1 kill and half a bar of xp, yea, go for it. But when they have snowballed that much, it is a huge risk, that most likely won’t pay off.

Thank you for your time reading this, I hope it helped. Let me know by the poll above how much it helped, and how much ill keep revising.

Also, look on youtube for OddOne Jungle/Rage dailies. They actually help, a lot.

DirtyJs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2012

there are ppl in low elo not because they're unskilled, or because they feed - but because they're too scared to make plays. they sit at tower, the nurse their kda, but at the end of the day, the enemy will get farmed and tower dive them for kills - and they think.. hmm i couldn't help dying, team mates fault for letting them dive me..

they get dived 11 times, lose 11 towers, lose game.. and still think they lost through no fault of their own. it's better to feed 11 kills for 11 turrets, than get 11 kills and lose 11 turrets

Hextech Fizz

05-31-2012

very nice read, i recently started jungling and i think its fun , i read threw your champ list, i have used skarner to jungle a few times and hes very good at farming once you get bluebuff (just smash that q of his and move on)

whats your thoughts on him?

Fangorn

05-31-2012

Main jungler here, around 1100 ELO.

Skarner is pretty boss. He's a strong tanky/ganky jungler. His clear is pretty decent, and his ganks are fantastic. During teamfights, just pick on the carry and grab him or catch someone out of position.

I would take skarner if my top was more of a bruiser, and my bot support was squishy.

BiG Dsamuss

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-31-2012

Main jungler around 1200-1300

Skarner isnt bad in any sense, and his post 6 ganks are amazing, but i dont like him personally. Just an opinion, nothing to do with this champ. I am more of a Nocturne/Udyr player myself. They are both really solid junglers, really nice and sustained in the jungle if they need to farm cause all of their lanes are pushed up, and have really good ganks if their lanes are being pushed.

also both of them are pretty fast at CJ (too bad noct gives away where he is too much with his Q) and are also pretty good duelists. I just came out of a normal game where i went 10/2/14 on nocturne. against a lee sin who brought exhaust. normally he would beat me majorly, but i somehow was able to consistanly beat him until I was fed, and then promptly carried the game.

Nocturne is a really efficient skirmisher. In dragon fights, he can jump from one person to another effortlessly and with his carry usually melt people. I dont know, he is just really awesome. Im currently rocking a 100% win ratio with him.

MCMCMAN2

05-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneKnight View Post
very nice read, i recently started jungling and i think its fun , i read threw your champ list, i have used skarner to jungle a few times and hes very good at farming once you get bluebuff (just smash that q of his and move on)

whats your thoughts on him?
I dont actually own him, but I have played him in free weeks. Hes ok. He was a lot better before, but now I find him pretty dependant on blue buff. His post 6 ganks are even stronger than his pre 6 (using the perma slow). I dont think hes in an awful spot, but hes defiantly been better, and is getting out classed a little bit. Of course, hes absolutly perfect for fights. When I did play him, id go regrowth 1 pot, get merc treads, then double gold and build tanky. You can simply grab their carry, bring him back, and then go after some one else. This is even easier and safer with a GA.

As of now, Ive been playing primarily trundle. Actually, hes been my jungler for the past month now, nearly with out fail. I feel like he is ideal. His Q reduces the targets damage, and he can siphon armor and MR with his ult.
Q-W-Q-E-Q-R-Q-W-Q-W-R-W-W-E-E-R-E-E
For items, i start vamp scepter, then get merc treads, finish wriggles, and a warmogs. After, i pick between Witts End (if they have alot of magic dmg coming out), Last Whisper (are they building armor), GA (if im getting focused), Atmas, Randuins, and a Maw of Malmordeus (only if they have either 2 really strong APs, such as an akali top and any mid, that are both doing very well that game.) Also, if you get a Witts end, investing in a Madreds Bloodrazor may be effective because your contaminate gives you great AS.

As well as trundle, Ive tried Riven jungle. it works surprisingly well, although she does need to start cloth 5, as well as a get a hard leash for red, as well as some extra damage on it.

Also, ive been doing some malhpite. His clear is good, and his ganks are expectional, especially after 6. Hes alot like skarner, but with a better late game, and a slightly ****tier early game. I focus more on farm, less on ganks.

IS1eae7cbb510cc9b1e2028

06-07-2012

To op:

agreed, Vamp scepter on trundle is just awesomesauce: pretty much ensures he's going to to be running around his jungle full health only from lvl2 on. If he got a leash it's lvl1 full health jungling. It also enables him to gank early, and recover all health at an amazing pace by simply returnign to jungle.

iKrazyness

06-07-2012

dude come on guys fiora!

MCMCMAN2

07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKrazyness View Post
dude come on guys fiora!
I really dont like fiora. She doesnt have anything exceptional. Her Lunge is a good gap closer, but if a bush will counter that (which makes trynd a better choice). It also does less damage than yi's. Plus her parry ability is useless in ganks. I also feel, as a hyper carry, she lacks compared to trynd and yi. What do you look for in a jungler? Gank potential with alot of kill power? High mobility to pressure lanes, but maybe not get a kill? Ability to deal damage? Ability to farm? Ability to counter jungle?

FatMii

07-07-2012

Surprising to see such a low elo player know pretty much all the basics of jungling. I'm actually pretty curious to see why you are at such a low elo. I'm also wondering why your rune page and masteries are terrible if you follow TheOddOne. Siege Commander and Good Hands on a jungler... And I'll pitch in about Skarner a bit. Skarner is good at counter jungling and chasing but his ult is pretty much useless mid-late game because any competent player would know to build QSS. I'll add you in game MCMCMAN2 so I can spectate one of your jungle games and maybe help you out a bit. Don't expect me to duo queue with you though.

I main jungle but my ranked elo is only 1282 since I don't play much ranked. Pretty sure I can hit silver elo if I play ranked.