Freeweek Pantheon Guide/Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2012

In honor of freeweek, this is a mini-guide/discussion of Pantheon.

Panth is a very strong Dominion champ and every time I play him, I always do really well. Honestly I feel he is deceptively strong. Looking at his stats, skills, etc it isn't really obvious that he is as good as he is. He's never banned either, for the 3 people that still play Draft. He just has a great mix of abilities, a stun, range, good stats, good AD ratio, great movespeed, and his Block is very good against the common physical attackers.

He is a physical caster which means he is a tough melee-ish range champ that scales purely off of Attack Damage. He does fall off endgame like all physical casters, relative to APs and AD carries but he is very strong early and mid game.

Skills:
-------
Panth has RANGE which is really nice for a physical caster. Skill order isn't a huge concern as you can make a decent case for maxing all 3 first.

His Spear has a huge 1.4 AD ratio and mini-crits vs <15% health foes plus the 600 range. I recommend maxing this first for maximum damage (+40/rank), as its your fastest CD skill.
His gapcloser is also 600 range and STUNS which is incredibly strong in scirmishes. Id level this last as the damage boost is +25, although the -1 sec CD is nice since this is your gapcloser.
Heartseeker gains 10 dmg per rank (x3 hits) and has -1 CD, so I max it second. If you hit 3x, thats a 1.8 AD ratio!

His Passive is really what makes him so strong. There are many autoattackers and burst casters with autoattack resets (Q), and Panth gets a Free BLOCK, and when he leaps, it refreshes it. 2 such blocks can really make a huge difference especially vs someone like Wukong whose Q penetrates armor, or Xin who knocks you up on that 3rd hit (if you Aegised right after his 2nd hit).

His Ult is also very powerful and has 3 main uses, which Ill cover in hints.

The Build:
----------

Panth is pretty straight forward. He wants AD and lots of it. Along with that, a snare would be kind of nice, as well as some survivability and cooldown.
He does NOT want attack speed particularly as his kit makes it really difficult to autoattack. Crit is wasted too for the most part.

Masteries: I personally go 9-21-0 with him because I itemize offensively. Therefore the defense tends to balance out somewhat. Defense also has several really nice things that are not easily found elsewhere, especially the 3% movespeed and 8.1% CDR.
21 Offense works very well for him too, especially now that the crit chance is replaced with AD/lvl. This is a personal preference.

Runes: AD/lvl reds are quite strong as they break even with flat ADs really early in the game and are all profit afterwards. I recommend yellow armor (ideally armor/lvl if you have them) and blue magic resist/lvl. AD/lvl quints. Armor penetration is fine too, though Apen is better than flat AD mid to lategame...but AD/lvl is even stronger still.

Items:

I start with Pros Blade and boots. It is a very efficient start and adds quite a bit of early fighting capability.

From here, my order varies depending on the enemy team, so Ill just go over some items. Note that Panth generally takes multiple small items instead of going for 1 big one. Then he prioritizes which small ones to upgrade.

* Ionic Boots - Tenacity isn't super valuable for Panth in my opinion. He has a gapcloser/stun and works in bursts, so getting stunned or slowed isn't really a big impact on his damage output. Treads are so inefficient for just Magic resist. Plus Panth has Hexdrinker as an option. So CDR = more stun/gapcloser/damage in a sustained fight.
* Ninja Tabi are another good option for boots since there's no obvious armor item for him to take.

* Hexdrinker - Excellent efficient choice for AD and magic resistance. The upgrade to Maw is less efficient though so keep that in mind before upgrading. It boosts your AD as you get less health which isn't a very good combo with a physical caster who does a lot of his damage up front in a burst.

* Phage/Entrophy - AD and health and the snare is basically free on phage. Entrophy upgrade is pretty efficient too and gives a free snare. Way better than frozen mallet which costs about 800g for the snare.

* Brutalizer - Great efficient choice for armor pen, CDR, AD. This, ionic, and defense gives Panth a good 33% CDR. I recommend AGAINST upgrading to Ghostblade though. You dont need the crit or autoattack clickey so much.

* Last Whisper - A great endgame last item. You pay 500 for the armor penetration which can really be worth it with a tankier team.

I would AVOID these:

* Sanguine Blade - Lifesteal ONLY WORKS with autoattacks which is hard for Panth. Building up stacks is a loser too since Panth wants to deal a big burst at the start of a fight.

* Infinities edge - A fantastic item for carries, but due to your lack of autoattack the crit is wasted. So you pay 3800g for 80AD. I am pretty sure that your 150% minicrit is independent of the 250% crit effect that this weapon gives.

* Ghostblade upgrade - as mentioned before. Only take as a very last upgrade/item.

* Battlefury - Only procs on autoattacks and the 30% Attack speed is really a waste. Last Whisper is much better for Panth.

* TriForce - too many wasted stats on Panth, plus less reliable autoattacking.

* Atmas - Your only real AD/armor item, but the crit is kind of wasted. At 2k health its only worth 30AD (1200g). Your other items are just more efficient.

General Tips:
-------------

* When you wait for 1:20, Spam your Heartseeker to charge your aegis. Mine as well right?

* When you have a charged aegis and have a choice in the matter, try to make sure you get your block in before jumping in to refresh it. This is only when you can engage without jumping in which is relatively rare though. Or if already fighting.

* Your Ult is used in 4 ways primarily:
a) A short-CD revive. Normally you die, pop revive to save 20 sec, run back to battle saving maybe 10s due to the speed booster. Instead you sit there the full death duration, but can save a good 30seconds by jumping back into battle.
b) Tower attacker - When team is about to attack tower, Ult just on the opposite side of that tower. Enemy has to move towards your buddies or abandon the node, or eat your Ult damage. They wind up eating part of your ult damage usually while you pounce on them and block the first tower hit or two for free.
c) Gank dat bot - Many times you can jump behind the enemy bottom, kill him off quickly and you and ally cap that node. This causes a good deal of disruption.
d) Tower-saver - To try to prevent a ninja backdoor. I try to avoid doing this because they will just run off and waste my ult.

* When you Ult, you will see a white circle right after the big circle draws. You are now THERE ALREADY but are hidden. This means you can QUEUE UP commands. Go ahead and click Aegis on an enemy and no matter where they move in the meantime you will jump on them. My best was vs a Lee who used his retreat-shield on a minion and ran. I jumped like a L16 kog ult onto him to stun!

* You really really want to use Smartcast with panth. At least on heartseeker. Clicking it and aiming it and clicking again is terrible. Instead you just point the cursor in their direction and smartcast HS and it will launch immediately in that direction. Panth doenst attempt to move into range first.

* Panth's attack sequence is a bit tricky. Getting in autoattacks tends to make your heartseeker partially miss. Ideally you want to Spear first (600 range), then immediately Aegis jump (600 range), then Autoattack once, then Heartseeker in their direction. The problem is that you are generally trained to gapclose FIRST, THEN use your abilities. This works alright but then you are trying to cram a Spear, Autoattack, HSx3 within a 1 second stun. Since your Heartseeker hits for 53+0.6AD PER HIT (3 hits), you generally want to prioritize landing those hits over an autoattack.
Another problem is that LoL only lets you queue up so many commands in rapid succession, so it's difficult to get off the combo. I tend to spam the keys. I use ALT as smart-self-cast, hit Q,W, hope he autoattacks, then spam alt-E in their general direction until it goes off. Spear first also means that after HS is done your Spear will be up again giving you an extra ranged attack as they are running off.

Good luck and feel free to add your thoughts, hints, etc.

DiscworldDeath

05-30-2012

Your spear's 150% damage doesn't benefit from IE. They're not really crits.

Your auto-crits on auto attacks against targets under 15% health do benefit from IE, so you are much more likely to kill them. These are normal crits.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2012

Thx for clearing that up. Its what I expected, but I couldn't say 100% for sure. My last set of assumptions got me called out. ;-)

KruxisV

05-30-2012

You'll still get popped up if you block the last hit of Three-Talon, you just don't take damage. Seen it many times. Unless they changed it a few months ago or something, I don't know. Haven't played Xin in a long time.

Ueno 54

05-30-2012

I feel bad for Panth if the other team has any type of ranged bind/cc. All you do is waddle out of his big circle, CC him under tower and watch him die.

blackDAILO

05-30-2012

I am still a bit confused on whether to max q or e first.

Dimwitt

05-30-2012

but there's no reason for maxing panths stun first.... ever.

It's literally a 1 point wonder that doesnt get increased duration / shorter cooldown, but still gets increased mana cost.

Maxing spear shot / heartsearker strike are always better ideas.

blackDAILO

05-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimwitt View Post
but there's no reason for maxing panths stun first.... ever.

It's literally a 1 point wonder that doesnt get increased duration / shorter cooldown, but still gets increased mana cost.

Maxing spear shot / heartsearker strike are always better ideas.
Yeah that's what I asked.. Spear or Heartseeker?

Dimwitt

05-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackDAILO View Post
Yeah that's what I asked.. Spear or Heartseeker?
Im not the best panth in the world nor do i claim to be but i personally like heartseeker for the passive scaling that comes with it over spear.

Nny

05-30-2012

Level both at the same time.

Q is your poke
E is your AOE nuke

Only level one and you're gimped elsewhere.