Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

the unholy grail

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

black w0lf

05-29-2012

the grail is good but it needs a bit more magic resist and a litte bit more ability power i hope riot games can and the change to the grail

xXCrocmonXx

05-30-2012

I'm pretty sure it is just fine the way it is. If you want more MR-tank on your AP Carry, build an Ezonya's and/or Merc Treads for starters.

Technician Tim

05-30-2012

its real main purpose is mana and mana regen, the ap and mr are just added bonuses

Giggle

05-30-2012

i dont find this item attractive enough. By the time u get it (cuz god bless u if u rush this as first item), mana regen is irrelevant. +36 MR +80 AP wont cut it for me. I rather buy something else.

Sephïroth

05-30-2012

Quote:
Nightmareking77:
i dont find this item attractive enough. By the time u get it (cuz god bless u if u rush this as first item), mana regen is irrelevant. +36 MR +80 AP wont cut it for me. I rather buy something else.

You've obviously never played a mana heavy champion. Anivia is free this week, even at 18 with Athena's and a Archangel staff, you'll still run out of mana quite quickly in long teamfights.

Technician Tim

05-30-2012

Quote:
Reimie:
You've obviously never played a mana heavy champion. Anivia is free this week, even at 18 with Athena's and a Archangel staff, you'll still run out of mana quite quickly in long teamfights.

champs that totally depend on spells like viegar, ahri, and galio really benefit from this too, yo almost never have to go back to base

Giggle

05-30-2012

Quote:
Reimie:

u must be doing something wrong, I have played most of the champs already.

Blaine Tog

05-30-2012

Quote:
Nightmareking77:
Hey! Do I have to separate you two?

The Grail is a really cool mana solution for a lot of champions that couldn't quite get the most from an Archangel Staff or a RoA. Not everyone champion is going to need that much mana and even with mana-hungry champions, it's possible to play them in such a way that you don't need to itemize for mana, but most people cast their spells more often than solely when going for the kill.

And really, the thing about the Grail isn't that it offers amazing extra stats (80 AP is really rather a lot, though) but that it gives you so many different stats which hit all the notes for a lot of casters.

Blaine Tog

05-30-2012

Quote:
accuracy1st:
i never tried unholy grail yet. I just play mana regen runes and masteries with a phil stone, on a champ like nunu who has a passive that saves mana, or gragas who has a move that restores mana. On top of that if i manage to run out of mana, i can always go get a blue buff and heal it back.
Blue access is highly unreliable in solo queue. Sometimes I'll get a nice jungler who practically crams it down my throat, and then other times he'll get invaded early and need it for the rest of laning. I like being self-sufficient for mana concerns, though it also means I can hand off blue to someone else who otherwise couldn't have itemized for mana in the first place. An early blue to our Tristana or Sona and they'll just dominate their lane, plus I don't have to worry about my Chalice timing out.

I do suggest giving the Grail a try. I've been running it on all my AP mids since it came out and though it's extreme overkill on a lot of them, on some it seems to fit just right.

mambawarrior

05-30-2012

Quote:
Nightmareking77:

U must be trying to autoattack ppl to death if you've never had any mana trouble