Jungling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iceoh

05-28-2012

I really need help with this. Lately I've been trying to learn to jungle, so I wasnt forced into one role when I do ranked games, but more often than not it's been frustrating to the point of tears.

I feel like my health is never high enough once I kill blue+wolves or red+wraiths+golems to actually commit to a gank on anything I play. I generally use all my health pots, and tell the lanes I'll back and try to get to it. More often than not, at that point the lee sin or jax has already ganked multiple lanes and my team is *****ing at me about how horrible of a jungler I am. What do I do to fix this? On shyvana, I start cloth armor + five health pots, and on udyr/amumu/maokai I start with the hp5 item and 1 pot. I generally have armor runes of some kind giving me 10ish.

My other issue is I almost always get outplayed by the jungler. My blue and red is almost always warded, and I always have issues keeping the second round of buffs that go out. When I hit that point, I rarely have money for wards, let alone vision wards to try and flush those out. What do I do about it? Even if I had a vision ward, I cant possibly ward the upper bush, lower bush, and inside of the red buff. Same with blue buff. Do I just expect it, or have someone come with me everytime?

I'm also incredibly uncomfortable with ganking, because I'm worried I'll run into a ward and push them back consistently. Are there certain routes I can take to avoid said wards?

Any help would be appreciated : /

Zachyveng

05-28-2012

Well it can depend on how strong of a leash you're getting when you're doing wolves (there you want to hit them first and have your team put a decent amount of damage out, obviously letting you get the last hits) and have them give you a slightly stronger leash on blue than most players normally do (careful with the mid laner doing this though, most games where my mid stays around to do a longer leash blue resets for some reason). That should help you keep enough hp to where you can do some ganks or continue farming your jungle with enough hp to survive.

Also make sure you're running flat armor seals obviously and do have points in the defense tree. I've seen way too many people thinking they can jungle with pure ad runes or something else similar which is definitely not going to help you out.

As for the ganking when they have wards issue. I usually jungle Mundo so what I do is pick a lane I want to hit when I'm done with my jungle. I don't care if they have wards or not. If they don't I'll gank them if they do I'll zone them and make them afraid that the big bad cleaver throwing tank is always near them. If you're making the enemy back every time you run near you're zoning them and playing mind games. Ganks don't always have to end in kills to be successful. If you're making them play a lot more defense and making them lose CS etc then you're succeeding.

Other than that I can't really help much, I'm not the best jungler and am kind of in the same situation you're in right now. I "learned" how to jungle simply so I could have a role other than bot lane to play in ranked if it was taken and to also give myself a better understanding of the game in general. Anyways, good luck in your future jungling bro.

Chingón

05-28-2012

Hey I read your post and see that you are having problems. I usually jungle on any team I play because no one else ever wants to do it. I jungle with amumu rammus lee sin gangplank maokai wukong ect. Jungling can be very stressful and often times the jungler is blamed for everything (especially if a lane loses). You just need more practice. Ill post again in a bit I am on my phonee and have to go. But add me if you want and ill play some with you. Skyblu

iMagnum

05-28-2012

Let's use Udyr as an example.

Since you're new, start the cloth/ 5 pots. Got to Wolves with your Pheonix and get some help. Then do Blue. Make sure whoever leashes it does so on the other side of the wall. If they attack and run around, the golem will reset, wasting time. Afterwards, head over and get Wraiths. Then go back to wolves. They should respawn by this time. Run over and finally do red. Finish up by doing Wraiths.

This is a safe path, especially with cloth and 5. The reason for this is it gives you the most bang for your buck. The 2 golems are very strong, and that's usually what makes it hard for you. This will also let you have major presence in mid for the first few levels. You can run in if you get the chance for a counter gank or just to help your mid. You can be counter jungled, but honestly, who wants to try that against an Udyr?

Later on, you can start boots if you want to counter or a Regrowth Pendant once you get used to your Turtle stance and how much you can take and heal.

PS. I main jungle. Not as good as pro or anything, but I know most of the tactics.

Chingón

05-28-2012

OK so when you start off you need to have a leash on blue. also you will wanna pop a potion as soon as you start to actually take damage. make sure you have 21 defense 9 utility masteries. and also make sure you are runed for whichever jungler you are playing. for example if you are playing amumu your gonna want magic pen reds and flat armor yellows and usually magic resist per level blues (blues are really a preference) however if your playing maokai your gonna want attack speed reds instead. most champs the cloth armor 5 pots is the safest route. start blue and do a full clear. gank a lane only when the enemies are pushed up real far. punish them for being aggressive. if no lanes are pushed up then just continue to jungle. if you roll up and fail gank just suck it up and go back in the jungle always make sure your doing something you know? anymore questions just let me know. sorry i wrote this in a hurry thats why its so .... hurried

jadeking

05-28-2012

if they have wards, go into their jungle and and come around near their turret into their tribrush to gank the person which will trap them between you and your teammate. runes and masteries are HUGE. make sure to pick flat armor runes and defensive masteries that reduce the dmg u take from creeps. Ok now on to them warding your jungle. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS. if you know they did this, then do this, have one of your teammates stand out of the wards vision range, and you just stand where the ward is (usually on your blue) and start atking golem or w/e. they will come to try and steal it. As you see him coming, have you and your teammate jump on him and pick up an easy kill. Now on to counter jungling. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. If you are a jungler such as shyvana, then she is not very good at ganking but AMAZING at counter jungling. so after you clear your jungle, then go into their jungle and clear whatever they have not. It is also great to do this after you complete a gank. Oh, and another thing, jungling takes A LOT of time and practice to get used to it. It is the hardest position and probably the most valuable to have a good jungler. A great jungler to start with is shaco. He is an easy jungler due to his boxes and he is such an amazing ganker, especially if you are not highly ranked. When ganking, make sure to have PATIENCE. don't just jump on them right when u get there. wait for the PERFECT opportunity. maybe they try to harass your teammate, or move to ward the brush you are in, take that time to JUMP on them and make for an easy kill. Also, some junglers can start with just lifesteal. Usually the ones that can do this are the fast junglers ( shyvana and such) and only do this when you are fully runed up. If you plan to gank at level 2, i suggest gettting boots and pots. if you plan on ganking at level 4 or 6, then armor and pots is good. make sure to get boots as fast as you can if you do not start with it, as they help a ton. Another thing, communication is HUGE. always tell your allies when you are coming to gank and ping a lot. make sure to move AROUND the obvious warding spots ( brushes by the lanes) and go through their jungle to gank, which helps a lot. Hope this helped Oh and something i forgot is that if you fail a gank, do not give up. go and counter jungle while the other jungler ganks then try again for another gank. if that fails, then try again and again. If after a few attempts you realize that there is absolutely no way you will ever get a successful gank ( which happens if they are pushed or have safe heroes) then just jungle and counter jungle more. Remember, wards only last for 3 mins, and a lot of times people will forget to ward after the first one runs out, so wait for that time to gank. Ask me if you have any other questions about jungling

TeknoWizard

05-28-2012

As said, try focusing on your runes and masteries. Even with my incomplete rune page, I can still finish a Malphite jungle clear with a Regrowth and one potion with around 450-500 health. It can't hurt to invest more heavily into the defensive tree, especially when starting out.

FatMii

05-28-2012

I could help you a bit with jungling but I don't jungle shyvana, amumu, or maokai. Reading you post, I noticed one mistake already.

Your jungle route is wraiths, red and golems or wolves and blue. Golems are harder to kill than wraiths and wolves so a jungler with a red start may go to wolves after red instead of Golems. Since you jungle with aoe junglers, golems are a waste of time. You should focus on taking your wraiths, enemy wraiths and your wolves as your main source of gold and exp.

Depending on who you are jungling, the amount of times you gank varies from jungler to jungler. Lee Sin, Jax, Alistar, Nautilus etc. are incredible gankers so they are going to be ganking more often than champs like, Udyr, Shyvana, Dr. Mundo who are consider to be farming junglers. One key concept you have to remember is to create a balance between ganking and farming. With sufficient practice, you should get a feel for it.

I don't know what is your win/loss ratio in normals because lolking.net is down currently so I can't judge at what normal elo you play at. Personally, I don't have an issue with counter junglers unless if I'm falling behind.

A good way to protect yourself from counter junglers is warding the entrances to your jungle. Your laners should help ward it. Make sure you smite to kill something. Get your laners to help you trap the counter jungler down so they would stay out. Since I don't know what elo you play at, I can't tell you if oracles or vision wards are worth it or not. At my normal and ranked elo, they are not.

Depending on who you are jungling, red or blue buff may have a higher priority. For Shyvana, red buff has a high priority because it is your only form off cc. For amumu and maokai, blue would have a high priority.

When you gank, you have 3 paths to take. Usually the top and mid laners would only have 1 of the paths warded and bot lane may have 2. Ask your laners where they have warded so you can go around the ward. The 3 areas where you gank from is, the lane brush, the tri brush and the river brush. For mid there is the side river brush and the lane above it.

I looked at your runes and masteries and that is where some of your problems may be coming from. 3rd tier armor yellows are a must have when you are jungling. The blues should be mres or mres per level. Depending on who you are jungling, the red varies and quints also vary from jungler to jungler.

Some possible marks is, arpen, flat as, flat armor, or flat ad. I'm not sure what maokai or amumu use because they use AP and I don't jungle them. For quints, I usually run flat ad, arpen or ms. It all comes down to what jungler you are using. There are many great websites for builds to help you on these things. They can also provide you with the ideal masteries.

Custom games are a great way to help you figure out what your champion is capable of. If you are jungling Udyr for example, you shouldn't have a sustain issue at all otherwise you are doing something wrong.