Opinions On Crossovers -- Completely OOC

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FilFire

05-28-2012

Krokaska's character is a loyal follower of Thrall, so that one.

Storm514

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eredale View Post
My main character is one huge crossover. How did it happen?.. You really better not know.

However, last time that issue has been brought, Shurelia stated that it's better not to bring actual characters for many reasons. As low as the chance of any RP has of becoming canon, bringing a crossover character drops them nearly to zero (although my canon character and Shurelia's canon characters both use actual Touhou spells, and both are justified).

Overall, justifying a crossover character is titanically hard, and involves copyrights and all that stuff that Riot always has on its mind.
If a person were to change some of the names in the lore, while remaining painfully obvious as to who the character was intended to be, would that be considered acceptable?

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2012

Who said that what's been done is in the past? Does that mean that I'm also in the past then? Sorry, but nothing changed since then - Riot still doesn't want characters from other media in their game, which is a reason for us not getting many great possible skins like Protoss Malzahar, Lu Bu Xin Zhao, etc.

As I have said, characters from other places don't belong in Runeterra, which is already a fantasy kitchen sink.

EDIT: Nope. That has also been brought up - names matter little, the content is what defines the character.

FilFire

05-28-2012

My characters have zero possibility of becoming canon anyway, so that matters little to me.

ColossusCrusher

05-28-2012

While it's a nice idea, there's a time and a place for crossovers. Considering that Riot already steps lightly (older skins like Bowser Rammus notwithstanding) around other IPs, I don't feel that it would be appropriate in this setting. Considering the potential (low, to be fair, but still possible) that some of the material we create could be used by Riot, using blatant third party characters would make it a lot harder for them.

Storm514

05-28-2012

Seeing that copyrights are the largest issue here... I guess I need to run off and research copyright laws and exactly which aspects of the character are under its copyright.

TO THE INTERNET-MOBILE!

Other opinions are still welcome, though.

ColossusCrusher

05-28-2012

Copyright law in the US is brutal. It's life of creator + 75 years or so (thanks to Disney doing everything it can to keep Mickey Mouse under copyright). Riot would have to license the rights, and that could and probably would cost a fortune. Public domain is a different story, but I don't think Macbeth would be a good champion idea...

Storm514

05-28-2012

Legally, would I be out of my rights to make a champion based on a reference of another character?

1Eredale

05-28-2012

Based on it? No. Making a lot of subtle (or not so subtle) references? Yes!

Read: Lux has quite a few references to Marisa Kirisame from Touhou (yes, again, Touhou), but it's very disputable, because very few traits are in common.

Silverling

05-28-2012

My opinion on crossovers in RPs is that its OK as long as you're at least subtle about it. I mean, when Krokaska came in as his orc, I thought "Oh great, WoW char" but he at least didn't rub that fact in everyone's face.....

However, when Greymaneworg came in with his night elf? Some of his posts made me want to start punting puppies.