Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Simple Bottom Lane Question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TeknoWizard

05-27-2012

Okay, so this is not a rage thread about bad supports, or bad AD carries. This is simply a question about play style. I'm assuming both support and AD carry are of similar levels of skill and both able to play their roles well.

I was just in a game with a Malphite support and I was Ezreal. I told him I planned to play passively and farm until level 6-ish. He didn't communicate back. Once we got in the game, he was playing very offensively, and since we were against a Soraka, I told him to cool it until we had some more damage to ignore the heal. Once more, he didn't communicate. So I tried to switch to offensive play style, but we still ended up losing.

So, to make an actual question out of this, who decides the pace of a lane? Assuming that the other side isn't affecting the lane, should the carry "run" the lane, or should it be the support?

DonnFirinne

05-27-2012

The carry is the one farming, so if they are good they can control where the lane is pushed to. Unless both carries are trying to move the lane in opposite directions this should be relatively simple.

Also, the carry has the lane's damage potential, so for initiating, the carry can control how far it will go, Unless your support is ridiculous or the other team is terrible, he's not going to get kills against a carry/support combo without help.

If you want to be passive, be passive. He'll have to adjust. However, if the carry wants to be aggressive and jump on the other side, the support needs to know and had better be ready to help out.

Lady Synvall

05-27-2012

I've had this problem before also. I simply found a middle ground to where we were able to keep the lane stable. My support was pushing too far and on past river bush upon to the enemy turret. My supports aggressive front caused us to die, repeatedly within 15 minutes because of jungle ganks and the opposing team takeing advantage under their turret. Not to mention my support had not warded, and was not at all supporting my lane. This happens more often than you would realize. The way i fixed it was to make sure my mid cld ward river and keep the lane pushed so that they cld gank everyonce in a while. A strong mid is a key component in victory if your support isn't trying to help. With the extra gold they are recieving its easy for them to stay caught up, especially if they assist you on bottom lane. Some players are stubborn though, and expect you to carry yourself. What they don't realize is that you all have to work together to receive the glory. Sorry if this isn't any help.

Ayyy

05-27-2012

I mostly play support, and I agree with the above post. I usually play passively until I get a feel as to how the enemy bot lane works. I simply keep wards up to keep aware for ganks and to watch the enemy in their bush if its, say, a blitz or taric or some sort of support that can easily start a fight that ends in the enemy carry getting a kill. I don't go out of my way to attack the enemy, but if they do to attack my carry or myself I attack back.

Usually I can tell how my carry wants to play depending on how he reacts to me attacking back. If he attacks with me I know that he wants to get kills more so than farm, and may start to go out of my way to attack the enemy carry/support.

Its the support's job to keep the carry alive, not the other way around. If I do something stupid, I would rather my carry back off and not get killed than risk his neck to save me, and that's how it should be. It should be a mutual decision, but if you're in a situation like you described, it's better for you to just farm and try to get that ten cs to make up for it than go in there and try to fight with him. Eventually he should learn "these guys keep killing me when I go in, maybe I should stop". If he's smart that is.

Jiggly Johnson

05-27-2012

you are the boss of him, so he must obey what you say. simple really.

Lady Synvall

05-27-2012

Well even though the carry is the boss, other players don't always want to play the carries way. They want to play their own way. Even if they are not trolling. So i ask of these people, why not play a carry instead of a support?

FusRoDan

05-27-2012

I main support champions and I have a good friend who mains carries so we play bot together in just about every game we play. Normally, my friend sets the pace of the game, and I support his decisions and follow through when he decides to engage in trades. I think it's the support player's job to make sure his carry doesn't die and help secure kills, and it's the carry's job to decide whether he wants to push the lane, harass, or go for kills. Of course, if you're playing an aggressive support or a support with CC (Alistar, Leona, and perhaps Janna come to mind), this can change, since you now have the tools you need to engage trades properly. Other champions like Sona and Soraka are going to mostly focus on harassing while keeping the carry alive, and supporting their decision to engage in trades.

Jiggly Johnson

05-27-2012

no this guy is the boss, it's is not because he is playing the carry. no no no. it is because he is just a random guy who says he is the boss, thus all others must obey. When i shove my religion down your through you must agree, you have no choice. why? because i am just a random guy who said so. Same thing applies to this original poster, he thinks he is the boss, then that makes him the boss. PERIOD.

TeknoWizard

05-27-2012

Quote:
accuracy1st:
no this guy is the boss, it's is not because he is playing the carry. no no no. it is because he is just a random guy who says he is the boss, thus all others must obey. When i shove my religion down your through you must agree, you have no choice. why? because i am just a random guy who said so. Same thing applies to this original poster, he thinks he is the boss, then that makes him the boss. PERIOD.

Umm. I never said I was the boss? I wanted to figure out whether I should be following or leading as carry. Also, the religion rant is very original. I like how well it fits in the thread. /sarcasm

Off of that note, thank you to everyone who's answered. But I'd like to ask another question then. If you're supporting, and your AD carry is doing quite badly, should you start taking over the lane?

DonnFirinne

05-27-2012

Quote:
TeknoWizard:
Umm. I never said I was the boss? I wanted to figure out whether I should be following or leading as carry. Also, the religion rant is very original. I like how well it fits in the thread. /sarcasm

Off of that note, thank you to everyone who's answered. But I'd like to ask another question then. If you're supporting, and your AD carry is doing quite badly, should you start taking over the lane?

If you are a support who is capable of carrying, yes. I did just that when I was support morgana and the trynd kept running into them and dying. He went in so fast, I couldn't even come out of the bush before he was in over his head. So I started farming up when he was out of lane and ended up carrying the game.

That being said, some supports will have a hard time carrying a game, so it may be better to try to talk the carry out of being so aggressive