How do you make an RP adventure?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brwn Trout

05-25-2012

Ive been reading the forums looking at all the RP stories and I would just like to know how do you go about creating the adventure with all the twist and turns. Do you have an actual story line? Do you just make it up? I guess what Iam trying to ask is how do you start an RP adventure?

Ask the Janitor

05-25-2012

All you really need is a background of the situation.

Ask the Monkey

05-25-2012

You need monkeys. If your RP doesn't involve monkeys, ur doing it wrong.

Shinozaki Ayumi

05-25-2012

Ok. includes a million monkeys, with ten million bananas. happy?

Necromonger

05-25-2012

Either of those two methods you mention are fine.

I just make stuff up in mine, usually :X

Ask the Monkey

05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreymaneWorg View Post
Ok. includes a million monkeys, with ten million bananas. happy?
Make those monkeys female, now we're talking.

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-25-2012

Are you asking how to DM things? That's a really big and complicated question.

First, you have to be a good player yourself, so that you know what the players feel like in various situations, and to be able to make decisions taking their reactions into account.

Second, having all the setting in mind - think of possible event developments, and prepare for a few. But don't railroad - players don't like railroaded adventures with strict events. Half of the decisions are made on-spot, after the players make their moves. So you only have a general storyline within which the players move.

Three, having control over your players - it'd be your job to see that they don't act out of character, godmode or all that stuff. Also, taking irrational decisions or generally derailing the plot is also usually bad. Make sure that you have a way to sort out problems softly - DM has power over EVERYTHING, so you could use bad luck on those who don't act nicely. That is, get their character injured, or make them fail at something; but don't overdo it with super strict measures that ultimately keep everyone on the right path.

Four, be patient , have good writing skills, and treat people nicely - there are tons of various people out there, from newbies to veterans, and all act differently. Help the new ones, and rely on old ones.

And finally, be creative and have motivation to play - don't recycle old stale plots, and be fascinated about what you do. You are likely to get few people and get bored at an average fighting RP; and you would have many volunteers for something that requires thought and is a novelty - you will be interested in seeing the player's behavior in unusual situations too.

Shinozaki Ayumi

05-25-2012

Makes half of the million monkies Female. With Ten million more bananas.

Ask the Monkey

05-25-2012

Nope, no deal. I said all of the females. What use are half a million females if I have to smash half a million faces to get to them?