Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is it okay to be a one-trick pony?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExecutionerK

05-25-2012

Quote:
corallein:
I'm sure they're still at least gold level with other champions.

gold is far away from plat....just look at the population man

acosn

05-25-2012

Quote:
Mambazo:
Trust me bro, you aint missin out...

Diablo 3 is a crappy unfinished product that I regret buying, the existence of the auction house ruins the game completely.

Diablo 2 had an AH too. The only difference was that it was a non-indorsed gray market that'd join your games to spam advertising.

Blizzard would have been stupid to ignore the money to be made there.

Don't get me wrong, Diablo 3 is a game of good ideas. It's just crippled by some god awful implementation and execution. It's a 30$ game with 60$ production values.

That aside, no, you really don't want to be a one-trick pony. While you don't necessarily need / want to play every role, it's not a bad idea to have a group of characters you're competent with.

azurefishie

05-25-2012

I think that it is good to know a few champs very well but try to be familiar with most. Even if you don't play everyone, try a few and know almost everyones abilities. So I say have your main, just know how to do other things too.

ProPlayerEd

05-25-2012

You can be a one trick pony if your in a coordinated ranked team which also prevents those high solo/duo elo ranked players but if you are only doing solo/duo then I would suggest being able to do at least 3 different roles.

corallein

05-25-2012

Quote:
ExecutionerKen:
gold is far away from plat....just look at the population man

I did say "at least". How many points lower are they with different champions, maybe 200 points? That's not that much.
Of course, you have to make the assumption that they're not also playing a role they're uncomfortable with. You're not going to expect someone who always plays AP mids to be a good jungler, even if they do have a good basic understanding of what junglers are supposed to do.

Say you take Karthus away from PhantomLord. Give him Ahri instead. Sure, he probably won't be as good, but he's not going to play like a 1500 Elo noob player.

ExecutionerK

05-25-2012

Quote:
corallein:
I did say "at least". How many points lower are they with different champions, maybe 200 points? That's not that much.
Of course, you have to make the assumption that they're not also playing a role they're uncomfortable with. You're not going to expect someone who always plays AP mids to be a good jungler, even if they do have a good basic understanding of what junglers are supposed to do.

Say you take Karthus away from PhantomLord. Give him Ahri instead. Sure, he probably won't be as good, but he's not going to play like a 1500 Elo noob player.

Maybe you don't know much about what 200 elo means even in plat, but it is a huge skill differences..

btw, omgigotganked can't even play at 1500 without his nidalee, he was on my tournament team and I know it

corallein

05-25-2012

I wouldn't say that 200 Elo is a _huge_ skill difference. It's sizable. It's noticeable. But an 1800 player can still compete with a 2000 player, and sometimes even win out depending on teammates and some luck.

And looking at OmgIGotGanked's match history:
Last 4 games, ranked, all wins. Nidalee, Vlad, Kayle x2. You can't really tell from the score screen of how well he did, but while his scores don't look that impressive, they also aren't terrible. So it does seem that he can compete at the 2k Elo level without Nidalee.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to raise your Elo by just playing one champion and getting great at them. I'm saying that there are some basic skills that you need to raise your Elo that are transferable between ALL champions. Basic stuff like last hitting. Map awareness and control. Balancing farming with objectives.

You can know all the tricks with a champion and have all the matchups memorized and know how to deal with them, but if your basics are sound, you will still never be able to reach platinum (barring incredible, 1 in a million luck).