Is it okay to be a one-trick pony?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AKG

05-24-2012

in short, no. a ban on Ahri = you're screwed.

BendyBread

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-25-2012

It is quite annoying to be in queue with that one guy who only plays one role/one character.

Get some diversity. You dont have to be amazing, but you have to be half-competent. Not just for yourself, but for your team.

IS1eae7cbb510cc9b1e2028

05-25-2012

I started out the same with with Vlad. Only play vlad. ONLY. For half a year or so.

And pretty much won everything with worst being even with the enemy mid. It works to a certain extent. But then i started playing other heroes, and notice that you have to position differently, cast timings different. Think different.

Trying a LOT of champions, and it all was great fun, but i got into a losing streak so at the end of desperation i picked vlad again. But... i was many times stronger, even with vlad being nerfed a couple of times during that time.

I'm sure if it comes to vlad-only techniques/mannerisms i'm a bit weaker right now, but my play as a whole is going to be a lot better.

So my advice: Play ahri until you are REALLY tired of repeating the same succesfull steps all the time. Then start trying all sorts of kinds of heroes, until you notice you're doing something "wrong" and games just seem to feel. Then go back to Ahri.

Now you're a "One Trick Pony +1"

Kyrim

05-25-2012

Uhm Ego Ignaxio? The guy literally only plays Kennen, and he got to platinum just by doing that. To be honest, if you can truly master a champion, MASTER them; any "counter" would be invalid due to your extensive knowledge. You would be able to know what your limits are so you wouldn't try anything stupid, making you not lose essentially.

Amoc

05-25-2012

but again...if your champion is already chosen, or if it gets banned, you're screwed.

If you refuse to play anything but one champion you're a tool. It's that simple. It means you're a little baby who won't cooperate with the rest of your team to coordinate the right composition, and it's going to encourage a negative experience for a lot of your team mates. If you want to start the game and say something like, "I'm really good at mid with Ahri," there will be plenty of times where your team will let you do that. The thing is, however, that there are going to be plenty of other players who are as good or better at mid than you, and if you can't/won't play anything else then you've hurt the team's chances by not knowing other champs.

Halcione

05-25-2012

Well, the thing is, once you play draft games, you'll find that other people may pick before you, and pick for that role (if not that specific champion) or you might get that champion banned. What then?

Even outside draft games, you WILL occasionally get that player in blind pick that will be hell-bent on playing mid (like you). This will always result in long dodge-spam periods or terrible feed-full games.

Also, playing one champion exclusively carries no advantages. Some champions may be more complex than others, but none of them require constant undivided attention to remain decent with. On the flip side, playing more roles (preferably all), carries many advantages:

1- You can fill any spot, not only making you versatile, but practically guarantees you a spot in any team composition. You may be a pretty bad solo top player, but maybe you just happened to be teamed with 4 non-solo-top players who suck even more than you at it.

2- You are more familiar with the roles. This not only means that you know how to play them, but you know how they work. Being familiar with solo top can let you give valid advice to your solo top if they are doing something wrong. You can also tell much better if an ally in another lane is in REAL need of help.

3- It gives good match-up experience. If you seclude yourself to a lane, you will never deal with certain champs until way late in the game when the big team fights start happening. Knowing what a champion can do in a big team fight is one thing, knowing how to completely shut him down in general is another entirely.

4- Variety is fun. I have my own favorite champs that I use more than others, and some people have more tolerance for repetition than others. But exploring all the roles and their impact on the game does not only present some fun variety, but you get a much more deep understanding of the dynamics.

5- Experience in all roles makes you less prone to rage at others for mistakes that were beyond their control, because you will find yourself doing these from time to time. Less rage overall leads to more enjoyable games and less chance of suspension.

6- Hard to counter. Every champion has a counter. If you always play the same champion, and on the same role, you will always have those weaknesses. What if you are free to pick ahri in a draft, but the enemy team just locked in a hard counter for her?

I can't think of more at the moment, but there are just too many advantages to playing different roles

EzraTwitch

05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post
That's not true. While it can be said that a large amount of top tier players focus on one champion, I defy you to name one who sucks with everyone but that one champion.

It just happens that they are superb with one particular champion, and are thus known for their play with that champ. With draft pick, and counter picking, yada yada, they wouldn't be platinum long, otherwise.

Short answer: No, it's not okay. Especially if your one trick is a very common pick or very common ban, where your odds of getting to play that champ are significantly less than 100%.
Phantom Lord, Ban Karthus watch his true-skill drop by a couple of hundred ELO.

kaleb bartlett

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-25-2012

not only does it limit your ability to play other champs, it keeps you from knowing when another champ is really in a bad position, and when they aren't. a low health karma for instance looks like a good dive option, but if you see she has mana and 2 floating blades around her you better think twice, because that kill could turn into a death for you quite quickly.

ExecutionerK

05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonclaw View Post
That's not true. While it can be said that a large amount of top tier players focus on one champion, I defy you to name one who sucks with everyone but that one champion.

It just happens that they are superb with one particular champion, and are thus known for their play with that champ. With draft pick, and counter picking, yada yada, they wouldn't be platinum long, otherwise.

Short answer: No, it's not okay. Especially if your one trick is a very common pick or very common ban, where your odds of getting to play that champ are significantly less than 100%.
SpamHappy (Poppy) Ego (Kennen) OMGIGOTGANKED (AD Nidalee)

All of these players can play their champion really well and above most other players (and they are plat) but they have a huge decrease of skill in term of any other champions

and YES, I CONSIDER THEM AS ONE TRICK PONY

corallein

05-25-2012

I'm sure they're still at least gold level with other champions.