Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is it okay to be a one-trick pony?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zint

05-24-2012

So basically, I main/mostly play only one champion (Ahri), but I can play EXTREMELY well with her. Is it okay to be a one-trick pony type player? Good feedback would be nice!

StealthB2

05-24-2012

You are gimping yourself from overall game knowledge by NOT playing the other roles / characters of the game. No one says you need to be amazing at them, but you should at least frequent them sometimes in order to better benefit you as a player.

IMO that is.

Mambazo

05-24-2012

Focus is good, but don't let it narrow you.

-Witch Doctor, Diablo 3

ExecutionerK

05-24-2012

Over 20% of platium players are one-trick pony

It depends on how strong your trick is.

Syfylegend

05-24-2012

Quote:
Mambazo:
Focus is good, but don't let it narrow you.

-Witch Doctor, Diablo 3

*hate you*

just becuase I am a truck driver on the road right now and cant fricken play diablo 3 becuase it came out when I was on the road,,*rage*

lol

but really I am a new guy here to this game but I hve found out that indeed it is bad to be a one trick pony so to speack because once you get to 30 and do rankeds and somebody takes youre spot and you are forced to say go support youll be uhhh **** now what.

good to be great at two or three spots...but great to be good with all spots.

acosn

05-24-2012

Depends on your ELO, and how much of an ass you want to be. I'd probably be at least upper silver if I played nothing but Ahri just going by win frequencies on my characters, but mid is a very popular role.

Mambazo

05-24-2012

Quote:
Syfylegend:
*hate you*

just becuase I am a truck driver on the road right now and cant fricken play diablo 3 becuase it came out when I was on the road,,*rage*

lol

but really I am a new guy here to this game but I hve found out that indeed it is bad to be a one trick pony so to speack because once you get to 30 and do rankeds and somebody takes youre spot and you are forced to say go support youll be uhhh **** now what.

good to be great at two or three spots...but great to be good with all spots.

Trust me bro, you aint missin out...

Diablo 3 is a crappy unfinished product that I regret buying, the existence of the auction house ruins the game completely.

Ebonclaw

05-24-2012

Quote:
ExecutionerKen:

That's not true. While it can be said that a large amount of top tier players focus on one champion, I defy you to name one who sucks with everyone but that one champion.

It just happens that they are superb with one particular champion, and are thus known for their play with that champ. With draft pick, and counter picking, yada yada, they wouldn't be platinum long, otherwise.

Short answer: No, it's not okay. Especially if your one trick is a very common pick or very common ban, where your odds of getting to play that champ are significantly less than 100%.

corallein

05-24-2012

Quote:
ExecutionerKen:

Oversimplification.
Doublelift used to be regarded as a one-trick pony based on how good he was with Blitzcrank. But even then, he was way better with other champions than most players, even if he didn't play them nearly as well (or as often).

And many skills with a single champion will carry over to all champions. You could be awesome with chaining Ahri skills and be able to pull off some amazing ult charms, but if you can't last hit worth ****, you'll still never reach high Elo. So there's a limit to what being a "one-trick pony" can get you. Certainly, you'll probably be able to reach a higher Elo than you would be trying out many champions. But there's still a plateau that you'll hit where your basic skills are insufficiently strong to get you past.

Not to mention that you're never guaranteed that you'll be able to pick the champion (especially one as popular as Ahri) or that it will also work in the team comp (or against the enemy comp).
Only playing one champion greatly increases the chance that other people will rage at you, which has a tendency to make the game very un-fun. What are you going to do if someone on your team demands AP mid? Or the rest of your team decides to go heavy magic damage already? Or if the enemy team picks a hard counter to your champion (note: Ahri doesn't really have any hard counters, which is part of the reason she's so popular and common).

Also, where's the fun in playing one champion ALL the time?

Proletaria

05-24-2012

Depends on which champ imo. If you're really amazing with kayle or some other champ that could be amazing in one lane and at least passable in others, that's one thing. If your sole focus is some champion that is worthless outside of a single lane and doesn't have many favorable matchups you're a liability.

I also agree that playing one champ all the time (presuming it was never banned or picked often ahead of time) would be boring as hell in the long run.