Hero Identfiying = harder than DOTA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burial

07-29-2009

I definitely agree, it's much too easy to lose track of some of the heroes in the fray. This would be a really easy fix, just swallow your pride and steal the glow effect from WC3, it's prefect.

Badvibration

07-29-2009

i haven't really had a problem with this, because of the names always above the champions. but a glow wouldn't hurt.

PewPew

07-31-2009

I believe that this is a big problem for new players, or the players that will inevitably hear news about this game and give it a try.

For us experienced players, it is of little consequence. This said, I believe that any inexperienced player will be very confused with all the HP bars, spells and character models that are presented in team fights.

Who is doing what? Is that a hero, or a creep? If I cast a spell, will I be absolutely sure I'm going to hit the hero I want to hit? What hero is using what spell, from where, and is he hitting me? New players do not know how to distinguish these things, whereas "seasoned" players do.

This problem does not lie in the art direction, as every champion has their own distinct persona and uniqueness. I think that the WC3 glow idea is great, and it would solve all problems with regard to differentiating the champions.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

07-31-2009

Heroes do not stand out enough against the super cartoony, hyper colored world of LoL.

I'm not sure what you can do about it

Zeta

07-31-2009

Quote:
Heroes do not stand out enough against the super cartoony, hyper colored world of LoL.

I'm not sure what you can do about it
I'd just like to see a map set in the daytime. The torches and light sources are what I find really distracting.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

07-31-2009
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Much of this is a brightness/saturation balance issue. Basically, the most important stuff needs to be the brightest and most saturated. Unfortunately, the environment and minions are in some cases the most bright/saturated objects. We are correcting this by making sure that the brightness and saturation of art corresponds to its game relevance -- our art director is doing a pass of all assets in the game and correcting where there are issues.

We are correcting this over the next month. Should be a major update in about 3 weeks that massively improves this.

A Cute 8 YO Girl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2009

I'd be one for maybe like a gold lining just around our own heroes name/health plate perhaps?