Hero Identfiying = harder than DOTA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ponies Gonna Pwn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

07-28-2009

It's not that hard when the character models vary so widely and on the minimap champions appear as giant face-tags.

Holy Moze

07-28-2009

I agree. Dont listen to ppl who say "spacebar" and think they are smart. Hero Identfiying is really musch harder than in DOTA. Maybe its all about graphics, and the fact that heroes are not much bigger than ordinary creeps... Also I'd like the option to make YOUR hero name/outline abit different color than your teammates, cause I find myself searching my hero on a screen in a mass battle often. SO, my suggestions are:

- make ordinary creeps smaller in size
- make name and outline of champion you control slightly different color, than your teammates (example is color of nicknames of your party and all others in WoW)

Odekuun

Adjudicator

07-28-2009

I wouldn't say it's easier than DotA--it varies from hero to hero. Twitch and Fiddle's dull colors can get lost for a moment, but those are pretty much the only heroes I ever have trouble with.

If there is a problem, it's more a problem with the brightness of everything else rather than anything to do with the champions.

Phantommmmenace

07-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Moze View Post
I agree. Dont listen to ppl who say "spacebar" and think they are smart. Hero Identfiying is really musch harder than in DOTA. Maybe its all about graphics, and the fact that heroes are not much bigger than ordinary creeps... Also I'd like the option to make YOUR hero name/outline abit different color than your teammates, cause I find myself searching my hero on a screen in a mass battle often. SO, my suggestions are:

- make ordinary creeps smaller in size
- make name and outline of champion you control slightly different color, than your teammates (example is color of nicknames of your party and all others in WoW)

- Minions are already tiny as hell, any smaller and you're fighting ants.
- Your name is already big and bold above your Champion, glowing in a bright green color. What more do you need to identify your own freakin champion let alone any others? Take note that Dota didn't even have such a feature.

However I do agree that a unique color for you and your teammates would be nice. I still haven't decided whether or not I want different colors for enemy players. The red indicating that their an enemy suits me just fine.

Teirdome

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2009

I would argue that it is about the same as DotA. I remember the first few times I played it I would loose my hero in a big fight. After I got a few games under my belt it became much easier to identify who was who.

I think it's the same way in LoL, after 10 games and learning who each champ was it became much easier for me to pick them and myself out in a big fight. DotA feels more easy to identify because we have so much more experience with it.

It is a good suggestion to recommend unique player colors, but with the champion skin system that will be in place I'm not sure it's implementable. Perhaps just giving each champ in a game a unique text color (or text background color) and match that color to the circle around the icon on the minimap.

whitingnick

07-29-2009

I would like to suggest RIOT give the Champions a 'faint glow' on the ground similar to DOTA. Why not do it i ask? In no way does it inhibit your gameplay experience. Not only would it make the champions quicker to identify in crowds, but it'd give the champions look more of a 'flare' and uniqueness! After all, they are the most important and coolest characters in the game!

UncleRussell

07-29-2009

2nd on just click the space bar...

765Immortal

07-29-2009

Edit: Oh snap, spacebar? I'll have to try that now.

I think something should be done. But, it's not a great deal. It just happens sometimes.

In DotA, I've had the same problem every now and then. Usually, I set control+1 to my hero or I use F1. There are neither for League of Legends. I think this would definitely help people counter this problem.

Being able to control group is something that is standard in most RTSs and most people have neutral to enthusiastic stances about control groups in general. They're convenient for all.

PuckMyLife

07-29-2009

its not too big a deal provided there aren't mirror matchups

Rev

Adjudicator

07-29-2009

During the hairiest hairballs of full team vs. team fights in the middle of battling creep waves, I have occasionally lost my character in the fray while panning the camera around a bit.

It generally doesn't worry me unless my health bar is plummeting.

However, if you want a quick visual indicator, hit any spell with a ranged targeting mechanism. Your champion will be the one in the center of the green radius. A right click anywhere will cancel you out of the spell so it isn't wasted.
Obviously this won't work for champions without a spell of this type.