Character Rebalancing Thread

1234511 ... 27
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ColossusCrusher

05-24-2012

Have people told you that your character is too OP? Have you been threatened with harm because of it? Do you think that it might be more interesting to play a flawed character who can't do everything? Then this is the thread for you! Just submit your character's major abilities and we the community (or at least me) will try to rebalance them so that they remain powerful, but not super broken. Also, if anyone sees an argument forming over character abilities, just redirect them here. Together we can keep these boards nice and civil.

DISCLAIMER: I am not setting myself up as the subforum's DM. This is a help and advice thread for people who have questions about their characters. In other words, feel free to ignore my suggestions, but if you came here because of complaints, they'll probably come back too.

Lord of Apoc

05-24-2012

Garic is rather op being that his special abuility is prety much an insta kill if it hits something but has extreamly low hit rate (0.00001%). What do you think

ColossusCrusher

05-24-2012

In my experience one hit KO's are generally anti-fun because the only counter play is generally a binary effect such as a save (as in D&D with save-or-die), and nobody likes having their character get one-shot. If the ability is a natural extension of mechanics (doing TONS of damage, for example, can result in an effective OHKO but without the automatic dying bit - psychology matters here) then it is generally more acceptable.

If it's just an ability given to a character in a setting that has very loose mechanics (such as here), less so. Garic may have a one in ten million chance of hitting, but that one time it works is going to piss someone off A LOT. Besides, the odds are so low it might as well not exist. Assuming you want to maintain the flavor of doing a lot of damage and probably deciding a fight, you could change it to a large percentage of current health and a bunch of status effects. Since it wouldn't be lethal anymore you could then boost the accuracy by a good amount, maybe to about 5-10%, and getting hit by it would still probably cause a surrender.

Shinozaki Ayumi

05-24-2012

What do you think of Lijaena? I thought something was off....But I needed Advice. What do you think?

Lijaena's Profile

Jaykoboy

05-24-2012

My guy is a magical void, but isn't able to cast spells normally, but when he wears a gauntlet, he can cast spells but is then vulnerable to magical attacks. He can also absorb minor spells and convert them into his own. Would you say that's unbalanced?

PS: I know his Multiple Personality Disorder is unbalanced, but I'm working on that.

Lord of Apoc

05-24-2012

The Abuility also has a AOE effect to it but at signifcantly reduced damage that can be easly shruged off and has a buff to Garic though i should note that Garic cannot use this abuility until he can go into savage mode and until then he uses masterblow.

(edit) ill also not that Garic doesnt have much to defence and is easy to one hit once in savage mode assuming he doesnt use photon feild.

ColossusCrusher

05-24-2012

@GreymaneWorg
It looks fine to me, although the Sun/Moon abilities feel a little out of place on a character that's explicitly referred to as a Druid, but I'm assuming you're going for the Warcraft 3 feel, right? It's powerful but balanced, especially with her weakness to fire.

@Jaykoboy
Sounds fine, but I would ask *how* vulnerable. Just normally affected or increased vulnerability?

@Lord of Apoc
Please refer to my detailed comments above. The problem with the ability is the certainty of death in the eventuality of success. League has no insta-kill abilities for a reason - there is a massive amount of anti-fun in just dying (even combo burst assassins have counterplay), but a single ability that 100-0 kills someone is not a good idea. You know the "better nerf Irelia" meme? It's basically like that. The ability just does too much, even despite its restrictions. Given your absurd miss chance for it you'd probably be better off just changing it so there's a better chance of success, but it no longer vaporizes its target.

Shinozaki Ayumi

05-24-2012

What do you mean Out of place? I was going to give it an "eclipse" state. depending if shes using sun or moon. in Lunar state her Moon powers are increased. In Solar State her Sun abilities are increased. And I was going to use Sun Wrath as a Damage over time. What do you think?

Ask the Janitor

05-24-2012

Shraido's ability to instantly become captain is sooo op.

ColossusCrusher

05-24-2012

@GreymaneWorg
That combines power and flavor in one nice package. Awesome!

@Ask the Janitor
I have no idea what you're talking about.

1234511 ... 27