What are some good basic strategies for Noobs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HellaJihad

10-28-2009

Hey, I'm brand new to LoL and I never played DoTA much. What are some basic strategies(beyond the obvious, destroy the nexus, don't die to towers, etc.) that would be easy to do for the unskilled.

nekitamo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

10-28-2009

Play Master Yi or Ryze. Look up guides for them in this section of the forums.

Drexl

10-28-2009

Watch and learn from other players. Play a few games against bots to get used to things and a certain character, then jump into a game with some actual people, many people you will find in game will be willing to give you some advice and some sense of direction, how they do it however may not always be pleasant!

Holepuncher

10-28-2009

Dota, LoL, and other similar games are all about rapid decision making. You need to learn how to quickly assess a situation to determine if you have the advantage or the disadvantage. If you have the advantage, attack, if you don't, retreat. It sounds really simple, but this seems to be a concept that new players to the genre are slow to grasp. This game does not play like quake deathmatch, and kamikaze tactics are rarely beneficial to you or your team.

Heres some general tips:

-keep an eye on the enemies on the mini-map. If any of the enemies are missing, assume that they are coming for you and be cautious

-keep track of your health and mana. The lower they are, the more cautious you should be and vice versa

-communicate with your team. If you need help in a your lane, ask for it. If an enemy goes missing, call it out.

-practice getting the last hit on minions. This can dramatically increase the rate that you earn gold.

-while it is good to get a sense of what each hero can do, at some point it would be beneficial to focus on just one hero and stick with it until you know it well. When you know your hero well, you can focus less on hotkeys, skill order, or item builds (because you will already know theses) and more on strategy and teamwork.

These are just a few very basic concepts to keep in mind while you learn. Mostly, just be patient. Although LoL is a new game, DotA skills carry over pretty well so anyone that has been playing DotA for a while will have a huge head start on you ability wise.

Jothki

10-28-2009

Be careful. Diving into a tower with no minion cover is obviously a bad idea, but running into a group of champions that you don't have an immediate way of killing is just as bad. Once you get better at the game you're going to want to play aggressively enough to keep your enemies off balance as much as possible, but that takes familiarity with the game and the limits of your champion that you don't have yet.

Ideally you should be at least vaguely aware of the capabilities of enemy champions, but since this is difficult when you haven't played most of them at least once yet, play it safe and try to pay attention to what the abilities that they're using appear to do. Most champions have some sort of ability to slow or stun at range, so expect that and don't leave yourself open while your health is low. Try to learn the capabilities of your own abilities, and how to use them effectively against minions and champions.

The in-game suggested items are probably good enough if you're just randomly picking heroes that you have no experience with. I wouldn't worry about developing an actual item build strategy at your point, just grab stuff on the recommended list that looks useful.

Getting the last hit on minions is good, you get gold and more experience than you would have gotten from a minion or tower kill. You probably should be attacking enemy champions as much as possible as long as you can do it safely, but if you can't do it safely (which is most of the time, if the enemies are being careful) you should be trying to deliver as many last blows on minions as possible. Get familiar with the damage you do per attack, and try to make it so that as often as possible, if a minion would be killed by that attack, you target that minion. This takes a bit of practice, but you should be getting plenty of practice on it in the early game. Some champions have area of effect abilities that can deal significant damage to enemies in a large area, these can be very effective against minions if used correctly.

Make sure you understand how tower AI works. Normally, towers will always target minions over champions, meaning that if you're accompanied by a group of minions, you can safely run right up to the tower and attack it directly without needing to worry about it hitting you until the minions are all dead. However, if you attack an enemy champion within the range of a tower, the tower will immediately switch to you. This means that towers are usually safe to stand by if your health is low, though a particularly aggressive opponent or opponents might still try attacking you if they think they can kill you and get out before the tower kills them. This is obviously risky, and I wouldn't suggest trying it yourself with a melee hero unless the enemy's health is low enough that you can one-shot them. If you have a good ranged ability,though, you can probably run within tower range, use it, then run back out without taking much or any damage.

Edit: I'd suggest not starting with any particular hero beyond what the random button or your own caprice provides for you. The best way to understand what an enemy or allied champion is capable of doing is to use that champion yourself. You don't necessarily need to be any good with that champion, just vaguely remember what the champion's four abilities do so that you don't get surprised by anything, like having cannonballs rain down from the sky in a large area (Gangplank) or suddenly going from low health to dead despite having no enemies nearby (Karthus).

Gimpb

10-28-2009

Actively try to predict in your head what's going to happen in a given situation. You'll often be wrong to start with but eventually you'll get to the point where you are rarely surprised, are confident in your actions, react faster, play smarter, and just do better.

For example, if kassadin is in a lane and he nukes someone from range, that person will often run backward for no good reason. It's something I have to fight to this day... it's some sort of habitual compulsion and it drives me crazy but I know that I can judge how well I'm playing on a given day by how much of that type of stuff I do.

So create your plan and the outcome in your head. If you like the outcome, execute the plan. If you don't like the outcome try again. If you're wrong, learn from your mistake.

HereticalCrab

10-28-2009

Read up on ALL of the heroes so you know what to expect in game.

Find out what your playstyle is and choose heroes that work well with that play style. ie defensive/aggresive/support etc

Pick a hero you think seems cool and play him a lot.

Read the non specific hero guides that are out there (you can find them in the sticky post detailing the list of existing guides)

Khamo

10-29-2009

i would especially read the newbie and how-to-get-better guides (non-specific-hero). this will give you very good advices.

its also very useful to play every hero at least once, and be it just for 10 minutes in a password practice game with bots (if you're playing alone you can leave a practice game without a leaver mark), to see his skills from the inside. its difficult to predict other heroes if you never played them yourself. start with the heroes you see often, so you get a feeling how to handle them, by knowing their abilities and limits.

h4rdcor3

10-29-2009

The best skill to learn is knowing when to run. Not dying equals less gold/exp for the other team, you get back into the fight faster so you can get more gold/exp and it could mean you save a teammate or defend a tower.

Kanashii

10-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4rdcor3 View Post
The best skill to learn is knowing when to run. Not dying equals less gold/exp for the other team, you get back into the fight faster so you can get more gold/exp and it could mean you save a teammate or defend a tower.

EXXACTLY! I would always say this to my friends when they played DoTA for the first time. "Stop taking needless damage" If you see creeps are attacking you (when your screen flashes red) step away, If an enemy is attacking you make a proper judgement DONT ALWAYS ATTACK BACK! If you're a noob should probably always step away 'til you know what you're doing.