The Non Ajustable Camera Angle - Removing Fast Terrain

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pookie26

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-23-2012

With the new and improved Summoners Rift map, it is expected to have and need small fixes. This is regarding the text/hud scaling or making things easier to read and such. None of that I am bothered by or am here to complain about. The one thing that really frustrated me was the removing of the option 'Fast Terrain'.

I know it might not have been the most commonly used option, or needed now with the new improved map with reduced lag and loading, I never used the option for those reasons. I used it purely because of its change in camera angle to a more vertical view of the map and champions so that it was easier for me to play the game well. It drastically improved my last hitting, map awareness, ability to hit skill shots, ability to target the right foes, and to in general have a better sense of the game. I have played with it on for the past 2 years totaling over thousands of games and loving every minute of it. Now with it removed, i simply cant stand playing.

Without it, for my screen set up and what i am used to playing with/as, i can no longer play for longer than a game at a single sitting because it hurts my eyes (not being sarcastic or rude, just to be able to try to play at such an extreme angle is to hard). My accuracy with skill shots has just gone down the drain, with the angle the character depth is extremely hard to be precise with, at least for me. Its harder for me to select the right for that i want to in either team fights or trying to last hit because of models being infront of each other. Its just become a lot harder to judge situations as they should be and to adjust myself accordingly.

Please either make the camera angle ajustable or bring back fast terrain. I hate to be one of those guys, but i honestly cant see myself playing this game for much longer without being able to adjust the camera angle to a more vertical birds eye view. I hope this is read and taken under consideration by Riot. I also hope this opinion is shared by others. You might not have used fast terrain, but im sure you can agree that a change in camera angle is screwy and needs some adjusting.

Thank you for your time and for reading.

LadyAzalea

05-23-2012

I can't play with fast terrain on because I have motion sickness and it makes me sick!!!! SO MAD right now.

Meridius White

05-23-2012

I second everything OP has said. Please fix this. Please.......

Pookie26

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-23-2012

Im sorry Riot but the reasons that you have gave the LoL community in response to the uproar of complaints about the unwarned or noted removal of fast terrain is simply inadequate as a excuse to what people actually use it for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viz View Post
The purpose of fast terrain was to provide an increase in performance. With the new performance changes in the patch, fast terrain no longer provided a performance improvement. Additionally, it does not fit with the direction we want to take the art in LoL, so it was removed. At this time, there are no plans to put fast terrain back in.
A large majority of us didn't use to to increase performance, we used it to not get motion sickness, to have a better view of what is going on, to make smarter decisions, to be better at LoL and to play the game more. Since it was a OPTION that was provided to the players, having it 'not fit with the direction we want to take the art in LoL' is not a valid excuse to those of us who use to play better, not look better. We know how awesome the LoL art is, and we know if we want it, we can just click the option to have it back. However removing it entirely with no warning when there is a large amount of players you legitimately need it to play is silly to say the least.

As of now, i can't play league because of it, and seeing that i am a gold ranked player, who plays maybe 3-5 games a day, with over 3 thousand normal games played, I am rather upset. A more direct response to the needs of your community regarding this issue and its future is dearly needed.

LadyAzalea

05-23-2012

we're **** outta luck, they won't bring it back. :/

hohums
??
Software Engineer

1 of 2 Riot Posts Today, 03:14 PM
Unfortunately we won't be bring this back. Supporting this feature with the current changes is not practical with the number of people that used it. We want to focus our time on continuing to improve the maps in general.

Pookie26

Recruiter

05-23-2012

I can not even express my frustration with this... I have spent money, i have dedicated time, i have been a riot supporter since they released League of Legends over 2 years ago. I have made several friends, am on several ranked teams with them, and all throughout this time i have rarely had any complaints. And for what? To be thrown to the side with no warning or discussion, with no apologies, just a big 'your an inconvenience and since your part of a minority community we dont have to care about you'. If this happened 2 years ago you would have changed it back because you didnt have such a large community and you needed to have everyone you could. Thats how you were able to grow this large. I was part of that small community. Now am unable to play because of this utter ****. I have tried my best to not go off or rage but now its just gotton to a point... Im ****ing pissed.

I hope riot changes their mind and i am able to play again. Until then, i guess... tootles. .. so much for being able to play with my friends.

LadyAzalea

05-23-2012

Pookie, that's exactly how I feel. Of course, I haven't spent money to this point (I'm thankful for that), but they shouldn't care more about graphics and maps that could potentially gain users in the future, they should care about the players and money they are losing RIGHT NOW. I joined to play with my boyfriend. I got my friends to join, and they HAVE spent real money...thanks to me. Guess I won't be getting them any new players anymore. I'll be sure to tell those I know how bad of a company they are for overlooking the minority.

And someone did the math. And I expanded. If 10% of 1 million players used the option, that is 100,000 that could potentially be lost. Only 5%? That's 50,000 players lost. One "tiny" percent? 10,000 users. And if you want to go SUPER tiny. .05% is still 5000 users they are losing money and their reputation from. EVEN SMALLER... .01% is still 1000 users. You all can get the point. 1000 users may be "small" to a company of 100,000, but that doesn't mean their opinions shouldn't matter and that you as a company should not be dedicating to keeping these users... Disgraceful.

Pookie26

Recruiter

05-23-2012

I even know what to say at this point. I doubt a riot employee has even read this thread or cared enough to get past the title that included 'fast terrain' as it being 'just another person complaining about this silly option that didnt do anything'.

Over 2 years... all to just be given a big ol' **** you. Was even looking forward to the new updated map/Darius. The worst thing about all of this is that i can no long play with my friends or even watch their games because even that on new camera angle is unbearable for me. They needed me to play 5's teams and now are pissed off at both me and riot at the fact i can no longer play. League was my only connection with em... :/

LadyAzalea

05-23-2012

I was upset about that too. I love watching my boyfriend play!! Can't even do that anymore. Can't teach my friends. Can't. Do. Anything.

If I really wanted to, I would gather links of all the threads with "fast terrain" in them and compile them in a very well written message to Riot about how their customer service is faulty because although they seem to think--or are using the excuse anyway-- that fast terrain was only used a performance thing that it actually prevented motion sickness for a lot of gamers and allowed us to maintain play (as is my case). I would point out also how maps can be worked on at any point and should not be a priority over maintaining their current user base and the experiences of their users. I understand...we're a minority... I understand...it's a hard thing to do. You'd done it before. It IS designable. You let users have it for 3 years. So why take the option away for those of us who need it to stay? If I'd adapt...I could. Sorry Riot, I can't get over my "illness" persay can't adapt for your game. Graphics shouldn't come before users. And anyone with disadvantages should be acknowledged...They have colorblind mode... this should come before improving maps.

I honestly wonder if they don't KNOW that people use it to prevent motion sickness. I mean, obviously they have proven they won't change their mind because they are insisting it's only about performance... but I would just like to hear that they are willingly accepting the fact that their decision has branded them a poor reputation with some people and lost them users who simply cannot adapt. Some can, and the rest of us have to quit.

(Sorry I know I'm repeating myself. Just disappointed. I thought this company was so great. Now I hate myself for ever thinking that. All they want is money.)

Pookie26

Recruiter

05-23-2012

I was actually thinking of doing the same. There are hundreds of posts, topics, threads and upset users about this silent removal that made it impossible for hundreds of people to play. Not even hundreds, at this point, based off of how many people play and how many actually use the forums, i would have no restraint from saying that they just made playing league of legends unenjoyable to play or completely unable to play to thousands of people. And all they have said is that its 'Unfortunate' with inadequate excuses.

I am not a flamer, I am not a rager, I am not a troll, I however am, a old time LoL players utterly pissed off about getting no response or sympathy from riot after knowingly doing this to their player base.

I couldnt agree more with you more LadyAzalea