"Tyrant" Swain?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Klendt

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Faux Pas View Post
We decided to name him "Tyrant Swain" primarily to communicate the power and badassedness of his status. That it was an evil sounding word was a drawback to the name, but calling him "Grand General Swain" implied he was a military leader, not a national leader, to folks who don't have the lore context. The challenge was essentially to find a powerful name for a dictator that didn't imply evil, and there's not a cool word like that. "Tyrant" captured most of what we wanted with only a little of what we didn't want, and like Runaan said, most players do get a surface level impression of evil from Swain.
Just so you know, the word you're looking for there is "despot". "Tyrant" implies that he seized control illegally and against the wishes of the ruling body.

Lint Wizard

05-23-2012

Generalissimo Swain could have worked, as with cultural context - Francisco Franco - the word is associated with simultaneous military and national leadership. Only slightly less evil, though :-)

belthazor3457

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linty McDeath View Post
Generalissimo Swain could have worked, as with cultural context - Francisco Franco - the word is associated with simultaneous military and national leadership. Only slightly less evil, though :-)
There is only one generalissimo.

SPNaedre

05-23-2012

Actually, back in the days of Early Rome or Greece I believe, a Tyrant was a good thing. They were a champion picked by their people who over threw a corrupted government. Tyrants were beloved by the citizens. Eventually though, they became as corrupt as those they over threw. That was my thought when I first saw his name.

A champion of his people that climbed his way to the top, killing his only opposition.

EDIT: Or not.

Struggler9996

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPNaedre View Post
Actually, back in the days of Early Rome or Greece I believe, a Tyrant was a good thing. They were a champion picked by their people who over threw a corrupted government. Tyrants were beloved by the citizens. Eventually though, they became as corrupt as those they over threw. That was my thought when I first saw his name.

A champion of his people that climbed his way to the top, killing his only opposition.
This is 100% incorrect. You have no idea what you're talking about, and I'm curious where you even heard something so stupid and fallacious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrant

Baihu

05-23-2012

They called Robert Baratheon the 'Usurper', Usurper Swain could work too XD

Ah this is why having a non-monarchy system in Noxus is so inconvenient. Emperor Swain would've been perfect...except Noxus doesn't use a feudal system so that position doesn't 'exist'.

SPNaedre

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggler9996 View Post
This is 100% incorrect. You have no idea what you're talking about, and I'm curious where you even heard something so stupid and fallacious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrant
Eh. Guess I was wrong then. My mistake.

Stexe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

05-23-2012

While "good" and "evil" are all relative terms, according to Dungeons and Dragons alignment (clearly, the be-all-end-all authority on alignment), Noxus (in general) and Swain would be classified as "evil."

They are more concerned with the well being of themselves over others, even if that involves hurting others to get ahead. As for "Tyrant," I'm not sure Swain would be classified as a true Tyrant (although he did seize control, meaning technically he is a Tyrant by traditional definitions), but remember that skins are not considered canon, even when they make references to current canon events.

Shadow Master

05-23-2012

I just wish both the Lord Darius and Tyrant Swain skins actually looked like their art in-game...

Iralius

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPNaedre View Post

EDIT: Or not.
You're thinking of Dictator.