"Tyrant" Swain?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS13ff69c642974b3ec23a7

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkRavenMad View Post
Upvoted for bringing in Game of Thrones.

I count Swain as a Varys/Tyrion/Baelish combo. He holds the wit and charm of Tyrion, the network of information of Varys, and the cold hearted efficiency of Baelish. So, this brings the question: What kind of leader is he? That's hard to tell. I hope the new lore allows deeper depth of this, portraying Swain to, at first, give much power to the Black Rose once more, and of course, going to LeBlanc to discuss some of the happenings, but is actually making Noxus back into the old ways.
If he brings Noxus back to the true old Noxian ways, that would potentially mean bringing back the old monarchy system. I don't think he would do that, not unless he actually had some kind of royal claim...

...well now, isn't that an interesting thought?

Also, just to continue our GoT talk. Swain can be Varys since he has literally, his own 'little birds'; and he probably wouldn't have an 'adipose rex' problem like Robert or Joffrey. He'll definitely know how to wield power better and ably, hence being more like Tywin when he raised House Lannister back to prominence.

I see LeBlanc in Baelish's role, except funnily enough, being a lot more trustworthy. Maybe channeling a bit of Baelish's fixation on Catelyn/Sansa into her...relationship...with Swain, but considerably less creepy and annoying.

Darius is basically The Mountain.

PS: Btw, I'm a fan of your fanfictions, hope you're still considering continuing some of them?

StarkRavenMad

05-23-2012

Oh, it's you Baihu. Hey there, man.

Yes, I see what you mean. I, personally, meant Old Noxus as the IDEA. Not the Government. Swain holds great disgust with being played with, as shown in his judgement, and would probably only be kept in check by the ambition and desires of Leblanc. Now, moving on. Yes, I'll be working on my writings soon, but for now, I fear my life has taken major hold.

Also, Runaan. If you see this, I have one more question. I notice that Swain's Tyrant skin is shockingly similar to the Raedsel guard. Was this by accident, or was there a specific reasoning for this?

Insípid

05-23-2012

I saw a katarina mention and it made me instantly think! Ashe remodel....no kat remodel?
Can a red please tell me if kat is getting all new splash arts, except her default, and an in game hair remodel? If you ask me she needs it more than soraka.

Broseiden

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
I don't mean to imply either of these things is good. Our goal is to leave it up to our players/readers to decide who is in the right.

Man, this is why I should stay the heck out of anything smelling even slightly of a Demacia vs. Noxus debate. :P
WHY YOU HATE AMERlCA BRO?

Torenia

05-23-2012

Quote:
I did put "evil" in quotation marks. By his visuals, it's easy for an average player (who hasn't invested time in Swain's lore and backstory) to guess/interpret that he is probably an evil dude, or at least a villain--and that's what we go for, we like at-a-glance readability and clarity in our characters. We also like depth and nuance, so yes, "evil" is an entirely surface-level statement, Swain's character--and Noxus' by extension--are up for moral debate.
Fair enough, I should've paid more attention to the quotes around evil. Either way, love me some Swain especially after this new item update.

The Graveman

05-23-2012

I personally like the evil look. The shades of grey argument that everyone makes is starting to get a little stale IMO.

belthazor3457

05-23-2012

Quote:
While the skin is directly related to the JoJ story, we generally aspire to name skins for wide appeal. "Tyrant" Swain certainly has its villainous connotations, and while I'd argue to the death that Swain is a much more nuanced and complex character than what 'tyrant' would immediately imply, the name of the skin captures the broad, surface level appeal of why the skin is cool: Swain is a badass, powerful, and "evil" dude.
We could also note that people called Caesar a "tyrant" plenty of times, though he was a benevolent dictator who did many great things for rome and forgave most of his former enemies, and well rewarded those loyal to him.

Except pompy, who he chased around and stabbed repeatedly.

Then those greedy corrupt senators murdered him. = (

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by belthazor3457 View Post
We could also note that people called Caesar a "tyrant" plenty of times, though he was a benevolent dictator who did many great things for rome and forgave most of his former enemies, and well rewarded those loyal to him.

Except pompy, who he chased around and stabbed repeatedly.

Then those greedy corrupt senators murdered him. = (
But Caesar was ill, he was slowly but steadily going mad, probably do to a brain tumor or something (or so the theory goes).

Of course, before that he was a totally cool emperor.

Cha0sniper

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulking View Post
Are you implying that extreme capitalism is evil and hyper monarchy is good? =/
That's Zaun, not Noxus :P

20thCenturyFaux

QA Analyst

05-23-2012
4 of 4 Riot Posts

We decided to name him "Tyrant Swain" primarily to communicate the power and badassedness of his status. That it was an evil sounding word was a drawback to the name, but calling him "Grand General Swain" implied he was a military leader, not a national leader, to folks who don't have the lore context. The challenge was essentially to find a powerful name for a dictator that didn't imply evil, and there's not a cool word like that. "Tyrant" captured most of what we wanted with only a little of what we didn't want, and like Runaan said, most players do get a surface level impression of evil from Swain.