Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Meta in random

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MoonStomp

05-22-2012

OK I play mostly random pick 5v5 and I see jungles every now and then. The problem is that in random pick If our team has a jungler and they don't our top is usually 2v1 and. Gets. Creamed.

I understand jungle in draft games or ranked high elo whatever but in low lvl play I see it hurting more than helping.

What's your opinion on low lvl random pics? Or how can I effectively solo top 2v1?

Licestr

05-22-2012

If your top is good there should be no problem, they can hold top nicely if they know how to, if they are too used to a 1v1 top then don't let them go top.

OOOMM

05-22-2012

At low levels, you are right. Having a jungler can often times hurt more than it helps. There are a few things that the team can do to turn everything back to their advantage though.

1) Make sure the jungler is taking advantage of both jungles. That is 2 of every camp for him. He already has their blue? He can give his blue to the mid, giving mid more of an advantage. He can potentially do the same with red buff to the AD Carry if he doesn't need it. He isn't losing anything and now 2 of your lanes have a big advantage.

2) Your jungler needs to gank the hell out of mid and bottom lane. At the level where most teams don't have a jungler, most people don't ward either, it should be easy. This is again to give those 2 lanes a big advantage. It doesn't matter if top is losing when your mid, jungler and AD carry are all obliterating their lane.

3) Play solo top yourself. This is huge. You are willing to ask the questions and figure out how to effectively handle the situation. Unless somebody else really wants the solo top, take it. You will probably do better at it than 99% of the people because they won't ask this question.

Now for how to actually play a 1v2 top. There are three things that make a champion that does well 1v2 (imo.) High sustain, very naturally tanky, good under tower farming abilities. Ideally you will have all 3 of these, but most of the time 2 will be good enough. The third you can make up with items. Examples of characters I have either seen do well 1v2 or done well with myself are Nasus, Gangplank, Malphite and Udyr. I will use Malphite as an example, since he is who I used for 1v2 top.

Malphite has excellent under tower farm (his E) and is naturally very very hard to tower dive. He has an armor steroid, an AOE attack speed slow, a speed boost/slow and his ult can serve as either a knock-up or an escape if things get tough. He lacks sustain however. The solution to this is simple. First, do not push your lane and farm under turret. I repeat, DO NOT PUSH YOUR LANE. FARM UNDER TURRET. Learn to last hit under turret and max E first so you can AOE clear if needed. You will be taking less damage if you are under turret, assuming they are not double ranged. Second, get some sustain. I would advise a Philo Stone and a Heart of Gold. The later is not so much sustain, but helps his passive which mitigates harass. Plus, since you will probably be a little underfarmed (even if you do it right), 2 gp10s is very nice.

As the solo top, don't call for ganks often. Your jungler needs to be elsewhere wrecking those lanes and getting everybody fed. Your job is not to carry your team or get fed, your job is to not feed the other team and not get so underfed you are useless. Jungler can stop by occasionally, and sometimes you will get kills. You will out level your lane and the jungler will be fed off other lanes, so it might work, but it should not be needed. Having him cover your lane can be very good though, so they can't free push when you back.

Also, build tanky. I don't have anything else to say to this...it keeps you alive. Most champions who do well 1v2 are good when built beefy anyways (malph, nasus, gp, etc)

Hope that helped. I am sure there is more, but that is exactly what I did to win my games until I managed to carry myself out to the point where most teams always have junglers.

TL;DR Always top yourself. Be a tanky champion. Farm under turret. Don't feed. Other lanes should be very fed. GP10 is a good thing. Sustain is good too. Just read the whole thing, it isn't that long.

EDIT: I meant to go in to detail about how to last hit under turret. I will keep it short and sweet since this is in lots of other places out there. If it is a caster minion, hit it once, the turret hits it once, then you hit it again to kill. If it is a melee minion, let the turret hit it twice, you hit it once and it dies. You shouldn't need to farm with abilities all the time, they can help you farm but they shouldn't be a crutch. You may need them if they dive you. The rules I gave vary once you hit certain AD levels and with certain champs (not to harp on Malphite, but the passive on his W can make this rule hard to follow and takes practice to not splash on everything.)

Oh yeah, they WILL dive you. Most of the time I went 1v2 top I would get dove constantly and get fed as a result. Chuckle quietly to yourself at their foolishness and proceed to keep farming. Don't get cocky. There are still 2 of them with potential help from champs with global ults or mid.

Technician Tim

05-22-2012

in a 2v1 top situation the tops job changes a little, their job is to safely farm, and defend their tower, not to try to push and get kills. if that one top can just defend his tower for 10-15 minutes, then you have 3 champions that will have more gold and experience because they were in a solo lane or the jungle, where the other team just has their mid, so the meta is basically used because it does work

Strikerfox

Recruiter

05-22-2012

It's all about sustainability when you're 1v2. Hug your tower if need be. They will get aggressive and your jungler will gank. The best thing you can do in that circumstance is not dying and preserving your turret. Mid and bot will win because with the jungler they will be fighting, 2v1 and 3v2. This assumes you have a decent jungler. Pretty soon the enemy is ignoring top to focus on the other lanes and you are a singed or rumble ahead in levels and gold. We all know how scary that is.

MoonStomp

05-23-2012

Wow thanks for the good responses guys. Sounds like my problem is that I'm pushing too hard.

Shen, my favorite tank sounds like an ideal pick for divers. I'll try solo top tonight and report back on how it goes.

lighttigersoul

Recruiter

05-23-2012

Quote:
OOOMM:
As the solo top, don't call for ganks often. Your jungler needs to be elsewhere wrecking those lanes and getting everybody fed. Your job is not to carry your team or get fed, your job is to not feed the other team and not get so underfed you are useless. Jungler can stop by occasionally, and sometimes you will get kills. You will out level your lane and the jungler will be fed off other lanes, so it might work, but it should not be needed. Having him cover your lane can be very good though, so they can't free push when you back.

This is opposite of advice I've seen in many other places. I think part of it is your advice stems from using a tank top, instead of a solo-carry like Gangplank or Tryndamere. It seems like so many other times advice is asked for: It all depends on team comp.

MoonStomp

05-23-2012

Quote:
lighttigersoul:
This is opposite of advice I've seen in many other places. I think part of it is your advice stems from using a tank top, instead of a solo-carry like Gangplank or Tryndamere. It seems like so many other times advice is asked for: It all depends on team comp.

Interesting point. How do you play tryn solo top 2 v 1? I almost all ways get at least 1 ranged opponent up top.

sebsauve34

Recruiter

05-23-2012

i play normal alot, and when I am 1 vs 2 at top, I'm in heaven, because they will push like idiots, letting me last hit under the turret and i get lvl 6 while they are still lvl 4-5. Once you hit lvl 6, ask for a gank and you'll be able to dominate the lane from now on.

SchiefSalmon

05-24-2012

In lower elo, Alistar is GOD in solo-top.

Take flash if you can, people in lower elo usually tend to think that pushing as hard as possible is a good idea, and if they get too close to your turret without minions you just scored a safe+easy kill by ramming them into it.
Ali is also a support-tank so he has great sustain and doesn't need to be fed to have a good endgame.

Galio does well with this strategy too and doesn't need flash for it, his Ult will score you kills under your tower with ease if the opponents can't see it coming.

At higher elo: as others have said, pick someone tanky with some sustain, preferably with an AoE and maybe some CC. Farm like mad and don't push, your job is to hold top, deny the enemy top lane kills and not get too starved.