Why is 3s not as popular as 5s?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Threetwoone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-22-2012

So I'e noticed by talking with people, that most never even enter into a 3v3 games. I personally like 3v3, but wish the map was a little larger.

No tournaments are done in 3s, everyone I've talked to sees 3s as some kind of a bad joke.

I'm just wondering when should I play a 3v3 match? If ever.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Just Tyrant

Senior Member

05-22-2012

There are a lot of champions that can safely take on two other champions. In Summoners Rift you have to coordinate and stay with a group that syncs well in order to win. In Twisted Treeline all you have to do is pick three of those strong champions to ensure that even if your enemies are well positioned and focused that you are still all but guaranteed a win.

Unless riot decides to balance out the advantages, serious players wont find enjoyment in the facerolling that is Twisted Treeline.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

halfNakedNinja

Senior Member

05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by posdrums View Post
There are a lot of champions that can safely take on two other champions. In Summoners Rift you have to coordinate and stay with a group that syncs well in order to win. In Twisted Treeline all you have to do is pick three of those strong champions to ensure that even if your enemies are well positioned and focused that you are still all but guaranteed a win.

Unless riot decides to balance out the advantages, serious players wont find enjoyment in the facerolling that is Twisted Treeline.
there are only two characters truly capable of 2v1(under normal circumstance), singed and jax, and they both have counters if you really feel the need to counter them.

the real reason why people dont play 3's is because theres this stigma placed on it by many because most players either A: havent played tt at all and just randomly badmouth it because others are or B: have only played tt a couple times and decide they dont like it. its like the first time you played dota or lol, did you automatically like it? i can guarantee the answer is no, the first time you played a moba, you were probably like "**** this **** this is bs" and then you came back a couple days later to give it another go. with a different map the feelings going to be similar because tbh the playstyle of the map is different.

an example of how this works is: guy has friends, they all play lol, sr to be specific, guy starts playing lol, lvls up playing sr, gets to 30, all he plays is sr, he solo queues one day, makes a friend, and the friend asks him if he wants to play tt. the guy then refuses on the premise that tt is imbalanced and not fun when he himself has never played it.

no one i know whos played tt a decent amount of times prefers sr over tt, people like the bandwagon, the bandwagon is cozy.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Just Tyrant

Senior Member

05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfNakedNinja View Post
there are only two characters truly capable of 2v1(under normal circumstance), singed and jax, and they both have counters if you really feel the need to counter them.

the real reason why people dont play 3's is because theres this stigma placed on it by many because most players either A: havent played tt at all and just randomly badmouth it because others are or B: have only played tt a couple times and decide they dont like it. its like the first time you played dota or lol, did you automatically like it? i can guarantee the answer is no, the first time you played a moba, you were probably like "**** this **** this is bs" and then you came back a couple days later to give it another go. with a different map the feelings going to be similar because tbh the playstyle of the map is different.

an example of how this works is: guy has friends, they all play lol, sr to be specific, guy starts playing lol, lvls up playing sr, gets to 30, all he plays is sr, he solo queues one day, makes a friend, and the friend asks him if he wants to play tt. the guy then refuses on the premise that tt is imbalanced and not fun when he himself has never played it.

no one i know whos played tt a decent amount of times prefers sr over tt, people like the bandwagon, the bandwagon is cozy.
Almost every bruiser is competitive against more than one person.

That being said, the entire premise of your argument is opinion. All you said is that people don't like TT because people don't like TT.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

halfNakedNinja

Senior Member

05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by posdrums View Post
Almost every bruiser is competitive against more than one person.

That being said, the entire premise of your argument is opinion. All you said is that people don't like TT because people don't like TT.
no, i said, people dont like tt because they havent played tt

and no a bruiser is not automatically strong enough to take on two people, your dumb.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Just Tyrant

Senior Member

05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfNakedNinja View Post
no, i said, people dont like tt because they havent played tt

and no a bruiser is not automatically strong enough to take on two people, your dumb.
I wish you could see the irony in that statement.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

makkii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by posdrums View Post
I wish you could see the irony in that statement.
the **** are you talking about bro?

just sayin


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VIOLENTxSHINOBI

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkii View Post
the **** are you talking about bro?

just sayin
I think he is saying people don't play a "substantial" amount of TT (enough to finally enjoy it) because they don't enjoy it to begin with and can not make it to the point of enjoyment. Both arguments make sense to me, TBH.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

makkii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOLENTxSHINOBI View Post
I think he is saying people don't play a "substantial" amount of TT (enough to finally enjoy it) because they don't enjoy it to begin with and can not make it to the point of enjoyment. Both arguments make sense to me, TBH.
thats the thing though, i dont know about you, but most people I have introduced to the game quit either on the 1st 2nd or 3rd day, the reason they start playing again is because everybody else is playing. its kind of an inadvertent "support group" , TT doesnt have a big enough player base to do this kind of thing, and its especially brutal when players just have sr to fall back on anyways.

the argument OP is making is that most players behavior towards TT mirrors their behavior for the moba genre in general when people start playing it, basically extremely judgemental and misguided.

posdrums is arguing that the map is not as popular because of imbalance, which simply isnt true, the truth is the majority of players dont know a thing about tt, they just stay away from it because everybody else tells them to, or stays away themselves. you talk to the general player about TT, they think they know it all, they spout nonsense they believe to be true when they are in actuality, dead wrong and use it to justify having never or rarely played TT. behavior like this is actually very common among people, say your going to high school, some new kid transfers in and your particular classmates dont really like new kids, if they stay away from him and tell YOU to stay away from him, theres a good chance you will, even if he happens to be a very nice guy or even the next billionare.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yankowich

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-22-2012

Zero visibility, small community. There are no TT games featured for spectating, ever. There are barely any streams dedicated to TT. Twisted Treeline won't even be mentioned in a joke April Fool's video ("first there was SR... then Dominion!"). Until now (Taco<3) Reds would barely even say hello to the community, let alone address any problems.

I once bumped into a premade playing their first TT match. They couldn't really get the hang of it and after losing they said they'd probably just stick to Summoner's Rift (I tried to tell them to just try to get used to it first). I'd guess many newcomers give up just like that and just stick to the safe and familiar map.

Between all that and the general shroud of mystery covering Twisted Treeline, "outsiders" hear things like "pick only these champs and you autowin, otherwise you lose" or they're told TT is **** because... someone said so. Cast aside and inaccessible.


12