What do people think: Why are people suddenly stupid/selfish/annoying?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrFwish

05-06-2012

Apologies for the rant; I want an outlet, and I want to hear what people think is the cause of this problem. Skip to the bottom if you want to hear the question.

I used to play a game where people would be nice.
Where the grass was green and you could have a friendly chat between teams and in your team while you're playing.

You used to be able to talk about what you wanted to do, and people would tell you what they wanted to do.

A compromise would be reached. The game would be fun.

This is what LoL used to be like.

It seems that lately, in a very short space of time, all of the nice people in the world have stopped playing LoL, and in their stead a bunch of 12-year-olds have started playing.

A number of times I have gone into a game, having told the team in the champ select that I was gonna jungle. I'm a warwick, I've got smite and flash.

Apparently not, because some kid has decided that he wants to jungle as yi with heal and ghost. I tell him I called jungle from champ select and he says, "i called jungle."
"when?"
"now"

He refuses to move from this spot.
I attempt to lane.
He fails.
We lose.

This is but one instance; It has happened a number of times when attempting to mid as Ryze or Fiddle.

In fact, while writing this I was queuing for a game, and it went into champ select, I took fiddle and called mid. Somebody then said, "im mid, give me fiddle? im soo good as him."

It took the entire team telling him to choose another champion.
He took Fizz.
4/5 melee team ftw.

I'm dead as I write this, he's been verbally abusing the entire team whilst feeding their carries for the entire game.

And it isn't just this, but the entire concept of trolling now applies to all of the 12-year-olds thinking they're witty and clever and trolls, yet the don't understand the concept or meaning of the term. It's strange.

I simply don't understand why they'd do it.

Then of course, there's the kind of guy that decides at the end of the game it would be nice to slander his teammates and call them noobs, tell them they sucked, instead of saying something like "Ah well, gg guys".

Hell, I'd be happy if somebody would say, "Oh, Fiddle, maybe you should time your fears better, just something to work on~"
Or something like "Oh, Ashe, try not to be so aggressive".

Nope. "omg u all noooobss olaf y u suck omg kat ur feeder noob"

What did it, do you think? What happened to replace the population base so?

Perhaps it was a simple invading species effect; the new players were introduced to the community and drove out the other, nicer players.

Or it may be that these people are always encountered as single queue players, and all of the nice players band together to get away from the 12-year-olds in question.

Theories, answers, rage, all is welcome? :P

Dorsia

05-06-2012

it happens. it's a minority though, i feel if you are generally nice and courteous people give it back x10. however sometimes people can't be helped... especially if they are a premade.

i tend to be the first person to have the option of "calling" who i want, but at the same time im usually the first person to change champs so we can get a jungler/support/whoever isnt wanted.

focus on the good games you have, not the bad

MrFwish

05-06-2012

In the first example I would ordinarily have happily given him the spot as Fiddle, but I had been in 3 games where I wanted to play Fiddle but changed to allow for a team weakness and the team was fine; Had he picked, say, Ashe, or an AD ranged, it would have been a great team. Almost perfect.

It was simply that he wanted to be fiddle in middle. xD Just to justify~

And I do try I have a big long list of friends that I've met in the good games, it's just that lately these kinds of people have been showing up alot more~

Laptop

05-06-2012

There was no good old times, the communiyy now is almost identical to as it was on beta. The only difference is the amount of people there are, so you are meeting a relatively small variety of people.

Naedox

05-06-2012

I have a few things to share:

They haven't heard of constructive criticism
They're hellbent on winning just one game in their life and have more sentimental value for it than their childhood toys
They haven't matured yet (And they may never will)

Sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad and take the bad with the good. But for now...

"There is no dispute." ~Shen, the Eye of Twilight.

Masakan

05-06-2012

you wanna know why people are like this? People are sick of losing. Simple

Naedox

05-06-2012

Eh, they'll become used to losing and just do PvP for the sake of trolling or something like that.

Mister Simple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2012

Competition always brings out the devil in people. It starts off as good sportsmanship and slowly gets corrupt.

Naedox

05-06-2012

It gets corrupt like Metroid Prime 3: Corrpution!

JevelFaithful

05-06-2012

Points I'd like to note : the smart people probably got better and are playing higher.
The game is popular and "mainstream" (it' the wow of MOBAs), a lot of people come in, a lot of them are idiots. Aka the few good people are diluted in the mass.
The game is old, some people probably got tired of explaining the same things 1000x. They are also more assured in what they know about the game. Some things became trivial to them. What was "you should try to get only the last hit on the minions" became "noob, stop pushin"