Why do people think Volibear is bad/needs a buff?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GanjaInMeBrain

05-18-2012

Voli is my third most played champ in ranked, if you know how to use him he is unbeatable. I've read so many say that in a team fight all he can do is use his w, and this is complete bull.

First, you can charge and throw back on of the opposition's carry and e to slow, making it difficult for him to escape.

Second, his ulti is overlooked, and I'm really dumbfounded by this. At lvl 16, it does 155 damage to 4 champions. How is this not op? If you are a good voli you have built him tanky. If the game gets far enough, you should build a phantom dancer or any other high AS item. If you manage that, you are inflicting a LOT of damage in a team fight. But even if you don't get that far, if you have built tanky you are unlikely to be focused so you are likely to survive the entire 12 sec duration of your ulti, you are still doing a lot of damage that normally a team would not get from a tank.

You should be at least the 3rd/4th champ focused, so this means a second w is not all that unlikely.

As cliche as it is, a great champ once you've learned him.

waaxz

05-18-2012

he can get kitted to hell, he can get shut down in lane.

I dont think hes bad, hes situational and can be extremely good, but i would never first pick him.

GanjaInMeBrain

05-18-2012

I don't know about that, he is a great solo top who is hard to counter. Early game, up until level 6, he may be out laned but if you manage to match their top in minions until then, you're golden. He is really hard to beat 1v1 because of his passive heal. Who do you think would shut him down at top?

BaII

05-18-2012

garen since all his skills are pretty much melee u have to run up to harass or get minion kills.

GanjaInMeBrain

05-18-2012

Rush a thornmail, and proceed to dump on any garen.

SaveTheMaids

05-19-2012

Someone I know mains Volibear and he just can't seem to have a bad game with him.

He kills his top lane opponent (and the jungler) nearly every game I play with him.

Then he comes down from top and kills everyone.
Fed Voli is pretty much gg.

He seems kind of like a Singed that does damage.
Just take Cleanse or QSS and that unbearable Ashe can no longer kite you.

Vikaryous

05-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBringer91 View Post
Rush a thornmail, and proceed to dump on any garen.
Spin to win doesn't care about Thornmail. Warden's Mail would be a better choice, as you're not wasting gold on a passive that he won't proc enough to make it worth it and it builds into something that's always useful (Randuin's) as opposed to sometimes useful

In other news, I've never lost to a Volibear. He's not bad per se, just not a good pick all the time. Ignite shuts down your passive brutally, you can still be burst down through it, and while his ult offers decent AOE damage he's all auto-attack meaning anyone building Randuin's/Frozen Heart is going to counter your damage as well as your carry's. Also vulnerable to kiting, and his fling is a little lack-luster when you can have a Nautilus fulfill the same role but better in every way. He needs something , but I haven't played him enough to say what

Edit: I should add that anyone building a moderate amount of MR is going to ignore your ult anyway