Zerkers Greaves Fix

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Attero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2010

Nobody in higher tiers will choose zerkers over the other boots because the others offer stats that are far too difficult (or impossible) to itemize otherwise.

So why not increase the combine cost of zerkers slightly, and give it a unique effect as well?

What I had in mind...

Increases movement speed by 2% per hit, stacks up to 5 times. Buff lasts 10 seconds.

This will not only give zerkers a purpose, but give melee heroes a chance at catching and killing things that are trying to get away from them. The reason I would give it a stacking effect instead of +10% on the first hit is to give people on the receiving end a chance to survive. They see a zerker coming, they can stand to take a hit or two before they escape/stun/exhaust/whatnot and they wont still be totally screwed.

Naje

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2010

Some do to maximize their damage due to an aggressive playstyle *wink*

mrdudefool

08-18-2010

actually reginaid and other high elo players pick greaves for shaco and kayle and other champs

Attero

08-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin Trainer View Post
Some do to maximize their damage due to an aggressive playstyle *wink*
Fair enough, and in some circumstances when you have a support champion who will be protecting you (Morgana or Taric come to mind) you can sacrifice the survivability in exchange for more face smashing power.

I just personally feel that melee champs need some kind of help, and zerkers need some kind of edge against the other boots to make them worth buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdudefool View Post
actually reginaid and other high elo players pick greaves for shaco and kayle and other champs
I've seen it on Kayle, but nobody else. But look at the champions you're listing here. Both of them have unrivaled survivability, so they can afford the sacrifice. Rarely will normal champions be able to make that decision.

The Reaver

08-18-2010

Quote:
reginaid
lol

Chakki

08-18-2010

I find that some ranged carries that rely on autoattacking use them quite well, I like them on my Twitch because positioning is how you live on him, no amount of stun reduction will save you then. I do agree they could use a buff though, and what you recommended is pretty cool. +1

mrdudefool

08-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attero View Post
Fair enough, and in some circumstances when you have a support champion who will be protecting you (Morgana or Taric come to mind) you can sacrifice the survivability in exchange for more face smashing power.

I just personally feel that melee champs need some kind of help, and zerkers need some kind of edge against the other boots to make them worth buying.

I've seen it on Kayle, but nobody else. But look at the champions you're listing here. Both of them have unrivaled survivability, so they can afford the sacrifice. Rarely will normal champions be able to make that decision.

actually, not really. Using your logic that means that A tris can get greavers because he has his W, or another champ with an escape ability,like ezreal.

Attero

08-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaver View Post
lol
His name is in fact Regina i d (with a capital i), not ReginaLd. Reginald is a ~1600 Elo player whereas Reginaid is a top 10 player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekyzz View Post
I find that some ranged carries that rely on autoattacking use them quite well, I like them on my Twitch because positioning is how you live on him, no amount of stun reduction will save you then. I do agree they could use a buff though, and what you recommended is pretty cool. +1
I haven't seen a twitch that I was happy with having on my team nor a twitch I wasn't happy about seeing on the other time since I passed 1300 Elo. So I can't really say there.

Quote:
actually, not really. Using your logic that means that A tris can get greavers because he has his W, or another champ with an escape ability,like ezreal.
Are you comparing the survivability of Shaco to ... well ANYONE at all?

Captain Patch

08-18-2010

Greaves have their place, but it is quite small. I kinda like the OP's idea, but I think 10 seconds is too much for a stacking buff like that, perhaps 6, otherwise they could just become the better boots of mobility (ones that function at maximum pretty much any time you ARE in combat instead of when you aren't). Also allowing it to stack on minions could cause similar problems.

Speed 2 + 10% is almost Speed 5 for most champions.

If you wanted to use the OP's idea to make greaves good for chasing/disengaging without being overpowered it would have to be more along the lines of:

Berseker's Greaves

Dagger (15% AS) + Boots of Speed + 200
+20% Attack Speed Unique Passive: Enhanced Movement 2. Unique Passive: Every time you strike an enemy champion your movement speed increases by 1.6% for 6 seconds, stacking up to a maximum of 8%.

Essentially 170g extra (50g + 120g worth of AS) in exchange for a chasing/disengaging ability. This is slightly less expensive (though much less useful) than the 8% speed component on the zeal, but will be more readily available in the early game. The downside would be that it would kinda coddle the sorts of players who like to tunnelvision and overcommit, although that isn't necessarily a downside. The only balance issue is Tryndamere, I am entirely unsure of how this would possibly affect his ability to disengage from a fight with impunity. It might make him too good at it.

Vs. Current:

Berserker's Greaves

Dagger (15% AS) + Boots of Speed + 150
+25% Attack Speed UNIQUE Passive: Enhanced Movement 2.

Overall greaves are probably best left alone as a niche item, even if the niche is incredibly small.

Morzas

08-18-2010

You the same Attero that made the SC2 top 200 list? If so, congrats!

As for Berserker's Greaves, they're actually a pretty strong item as they are. A Dagger costs 420 gold, and it gives you 15% Attack Speed. 420/15 = 28, so 1% AS is worth 28 Gold. The Berserker's Greaves recipe gives you Enhanced Movement 2 and 10% AS. The 10% AS alone should cost 280 Gold, but the recipe to upgrade is only 150 Gold! 10% Attack Speed is not that much, but Berserker's Greaves practically pay YOU to get them.

Also, if you're playing a character that's meant to kill towers and champions, every item that you buy should be contributing to this cause. If a ranged or melee carry is buying Mercury's Treads or Ninja Tabi, their tanks are not doing their job right, or they're not applying the proper tactics.

Berserker's Greaves are not super amazing or flashy, but they're really efficient. I think they're in a good place as they are.