Should I ever-

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ViktorHeartBreak

02-26-2014

Build sorc shoes & void staff on a mage or is sorc boots enough for magic pen?????

Z Grade

02-26-2014

I almost always build Void Staff as a 3rd/4th item, when dependent on how much MR the other team is building. If they have actually not built any MR, I might even push it back a bit and get it as a 5th/6th item, but I always get it.

EmployeNumber427

02-26-2014

What Z Grade said, but don't feel that Sorc. Shoes are a must for your 2nd tier. Though if you do grab Lucidity or Mercury's Treads, Void Staff becomes a bit more necessary.

koalaknight

02-26-2014

It's usually a good idea to get Sorc Shoes early on, since it will significantly increase your magic damage as most mages, but there are a few mages such as Vlad that benefit more from cool down reduction. Sorc shoes will be effective relative to how far ahead you are against the enemy team, where their front line will eventually build enough MR to greatly mitigate your damage and you might need more magic penetration. And some times, if you fall behind in lane, Void Staff might be a great item to get after your first high AP item since it will give you more damage than just buying AP at that point.

But I usually wouldn't get it until the late game, or when I need other items more. Void Staff only provides damage, and no utility, where sometimes you might need some other items. If your team has a lot of magic damage, or if the other team are all getting some MR, then Abyssal Scepter might be a better choice since it gives you MR and increase the damage your team deals. Similarly, Haunting Guise is another great early game item, where its magic penetration along with Sorc Shoes will usually give you enough Magic Penetration for a while, and the item gives you health and can be upgraded into a Liandry's Torment that is great for late game when the other team starts stacking health.