Troubled by Emotion (Garen x Katarina)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mirage Night

06-07-2012

nice job on your latest chapter. I am loving the developments.

GodsEye

06-10-2012

I need moar D:

SV Artixero

06-11-2012

Chapter 12

As the flag of Demacia fluttered in the air, the Dauntless Vanguard said their goodbyes to the people of Freljord. The joint effort they exerted into defeating the void army repaired the trust issues between the population of Demacia and Freljord, and they now clasp each other's hands in camaraderie. It was as if the distrust they suffered only lasted for a fleeting moment, and despite the vanguards' liking to Freljord, many just wanted to go home. Garen and Katarina emerged from the cave systems early morning, and soon, left Freljord on a hike back to Demacia. The 120 men marched, some were somber, while some were excited. Many friends were lost in the battle, but new ones were formed out of it as well. A group of volunteers from both the Vanguards and the Freljordians offered to bury the fallen right there, in the battlefield, so that they will never forget what had happened on that fateful day. With fewer men, the regiment of vanguards moved faster. In two hours, they have left the icy patches of the North, and towards the green fields of the West. The skies were cloudy and windy, signs that there will be rain later on. Due to the clouds blocking the sun, Garen had no way of telling what time of day it was, but the vanguards seemed to be energized enough to continue walking, so he passed up the opportunity to take a break and continued the trek back home.

Katarina was mostly silent throughout the journey, mainly because she had nothing to talk about, and Garen wasn't the kind to strike up a conversation, especially having suffered heavy losses with his men. He knew more men died at the defense of Demacia, but losing 40% of his men in just one engagement was considered a failure, especially since it was the Dauntless Vanguards, men trained to be the first line of defense against any threat. They were also the first to fight, but that didn't mean they were fodder. In competitions with the Elite Guard, the Dauntless Vanguard have outmatched the Elite Guard in multifarious ways. Garen sighed, it was only a matter of time before they saw Demacia from on top of a hill. Soon, rain drops started falling and the wind picked up, making the Demacian flags that the vanguard regiment carried flutter in the air. There was a clanking noise as droplets hit armor, but it soon became more than rain. It became a deluge. However, Garen continued the walk, not letting weather stop his men from coming home. The deluge made the ground turn into slippery mud, and Garen fell on his chest. A few vanguards helped him up then continued walking.

"You okay?" Katarina asked.

"I'm fine," Garen replied and continued to walk.

Garen labored in breathing and Katarina noticed a hint of red in the water trail that Garen left behind. She paced up to him and pressed against his chest, to which Garen winced. Katarina suspected that his wound from Darius had opened up, and Garen's recuperative abilities failed to regenerate it in time for the next battle he had. The fall probably opened his wound even more, but Katarina was sure that the blood would at least coagulate and stop the bleeding, as long as Garen doesn't fall again. Katarina then sneezed, and she blinked a few times as her eyes got a bit teary. Was she catching a cold? It didn't matter to her, and she kept on walking by Garen's side, and she held his hand and crisscrossed their fingers. After a while, the climb up the small hill at Demacia's doorstep began, and the men became more excited. Home was just a few more minutes away. Something struck the Demacians as not quite right, considering there was smoke coming in from the distance. Garen ran up ahead and bumped into a Demacian scout.

"What's going on?" Garen asked the scout.

"There were two explosions at the palace as well as a few explosions in the residential area and we believe the culprit may still be within Demacia's borders," the scout answered.

"Explosions?"

"Yes. Someone managed to infiltrate our city and plant bombs."

After their exchange, Garen let the scout go, and told the men of the news. Immediately, the morale of the men lowered, and they shook in place. Who could possibly manage to do an act such as this? It was a cowardly act of terrorism, and Garen was not about to let the people within the palace die. Not on his watch. Immediately, the Dauntless Vanguard regiment rushed to Demacia, all of them wanting to go home to check on their families. This sudden attack rattled the heart of Demacia, and now it tried its citizen's steadiness. Upon reaching the gates of Demacia, Garen ordered all of his men to go home and check on their families. The Dauntless Vanguard disbanded and went to their respective homes, and Garen rushed to the palace. In his hurried state, he did not notice he was holding onto Katarina's wrist, and he was deaf to her complains about his grasp being too hard. It wasn't until Katarina pointed a knife to Garen's neck did he finally hear her.

"Let go!" Katarina said, as she pulled her wrist away. Garen let go and stared at Katarina for a while, "What the hell's wrong with you?" Katarina asked.

"I'm sorry... I must-"

"I know what you must do, but when I tell you to let go, you let go! Okay?" Katarina yelled, rubbing her wrist gently.

"...Okay," Garen replied.

"Now, go. I'll follow you," Katarina said before patting Garen's shoulder.

Almost immediately, Garen ran towards the palace, avoiding the citizens who rushed to and fro as they tried to put out the flames in the vicinity. As they arrived at the palace, Garen and Katarina could see that part of it has crumbled and Garen put his sword on his back as he started to go into the crumbling palace. Katarina was hesitant, but she followed after Garen. Sometimes, she didn't know if Garen was brave or just plain stupid. Who, in their right mind, would go into a crumbling building knowing there's a danger it would collapse on top of you? Garen navigated through the hallways and was about to pass through to another hallway when he heard a voice call out to him.

"Garen!" Shyvana yelled.

Garen turned around and looked around for where the voice may have come from, then saw that under a large piece of debris was Jarvan's unconscious body laying on top of Shyvana's body. It seemed that Jarvan protected Shyvana from the falling debris but got knocked unconscious in the process. Garen went over to Shyvana and Jarvan then with a long grunt, he pulled the debris off of Jarvan and Shyvana. He tossed it to the side and grabbed Jarvan as he carried him, then Katarina comes and offers a hand to Shyvana. At first, Shyvana looked insulted by Katarina's gesture, but after a bit of thinking, she took Katarina's hand and stood up. The three started running out of the palace and took the route that Garen and Katarina had followed inside.

"Where's the king?" Garen asked Shyvana.

"He's already been evacuated," Shyvana curtly responded. It was obvious she was quite worried about Jarvan's state even if she didn't show it through her face.

"Alright, we'll get you out of here," Garen said, but as soon as they were almost at the exit, the palace started crumbling again, and debris started falling. After muttering an apology to his childhood friend, Garen grabbed Shyvana and tossed her out the entrance with Jarvan, but Katarina couldn't make it in time so Garen pulled her as well. It seemed like an eternity, just running before the light got shut out, but the two managed to get out safely, with the entrance being blocked by a piece of the ceiling moments after their escape. Shyvana took a moment to comprehend how she allowed herself to be overpowered by a mere human, but she also realized he just saved her life. As Garen turned to look at the palace, he saw that the watchtower was going to fall. He shoved Katarina and made her drag Jarvan away, and one small explosion made the watchtower fall. As it fell, Garen tried pulling Shyvana again, but she didn't let Garen do as he please. She gave Garen a glare, to which Garen tightly hugged her as he braced for impact. Garen counted the seconds to which he thought was going to be his death, but ten seconds have passed and nothing happened. He opened his eyes slowly and looked up. The falling watchtower was obliterated by an anomaly of light, and Shyvana pushed herself off of Garen.

"I'm sorry," Garen apologized to Shyvana.

"You like taking chances, don't you?" Shyvana questioned.

"I was preparing to protect you," Garen explained.

"I know you were," Shyvana retorted. There was an awkward silence between the two in the midst of the chaos going on in Demacia, then thankfully, Lux's voice broke the ice.

"Brother!" Lux yelled as she ran to Garen and Shyvana.

"Luxanna. Thank you for saving us," Garen said.

"Of course! We look after each other."

"Did you see Jarvan and Katarina?" Garen asked, looking around.

"Yeah, they're over there," Lux said as she pointed to what seemed to be a safe haven from the happenings in Demacia.

Garen and the girls walked over to Katarina and Jarvan, and Shyvana knelt down beside Jarvan. After a moment of putting her hand on Jarvan's chest, Shyvana stood up, "He's alright."

"That's good news," Garen said.

"What should we do now, brother?" Lux asked.

"We help out the city as much as we can, then we meet back at our house," Garen instructed.

"Alright, I'll head back to the Academy and help with the repairs," Lux said before running off.

"I'll keep an eye on Jarvan," Shyvana said.

"Katarina, come. We have fires to put out," Garen said before offering his hand to Katarina. She took his hand and stood up, then followed behind Garen as he went around the town, taking buckets of water and pouring them into fires.

Water mages did their best to put out the fires, and the citizens made sure they all got their families safe. Garen and Katarina helped with rescuing trapped citizens as well as putting out flames from homes. It took a few hours to get one sector of Demacia stabilized, and another few for the whole city. Garen was exhausted at the end, and he gave Katarina a quick kiss to encourage her. Katarina was conflicted. All her life, she was taught that Demacia was the enemy, yet seeing them in their time of need made her sympathize with its citizens. He saw that Demacia was no different than Noxus when they were under attack, and the women and children were always evacuated first, the men risked their lives to save other people, and the elderly throw away their age and help out to the best that they could. She kept silent, knowing she had no right to speak a word considering that her people was the one that caused so much trouble and suffering for the people in this city. However, she knew that Demacia has brought much pain and suffering to the people of Noxus through the battles that they have fought, and it was just this vicious, endless cycle of revenge.

After the ordeal of killing fires and saving citizens and helping with the repairs, Lux, Garen, Katarina, Jarvan - who was now awake -, and Shyvana all met at Garen's house. They were all gathered around the table, tired and weary except for Jarvan, and Garen went to take a shower. He was finished in a flash, and he walked back to the table as Lux went to take a shower as well. All of them spent time cleaning themselves and when they were all settled, they had a grim look on their face. No one dared to speak, but someone had to break the silence and address the matter that needed to be addressed. Jarvan, being the leader that he was, spoke up first.

"So, who do you think is behind this terrorist attack?" Jarvan asked.

"Noxus," Lux and Shyvana said in unison. They both shot glares at Katarina, but Garen deflected them with a glare of his own.

"Noxus may be behind all this, but that's no reason to blame Katarina for it. She was with me and the Dauntless Vanguard when this happened," Garen explained.

"The better question, Jarvan, is what do we do now?" Shyvana proposed.

"Tonight, we rest."

-------------------------------

Hey guys! I'm sorry for not updating on time. I'm in a pinch for time since I got a job recently and finals are coming up. From now on, I'll try to update at least once a week. I expect more free time to come around by Friday considering my last day in school is on Thursday this week.

OH! Before I forget!

I'm in need of suggestions of what to happen on the next chapter! My sugar rush in terms of plot for this fanfic is dying down and it's about time I asked my readers what they want to see! Of course, should I incorporate your idea into the plot of the next chapter, I'll give you credit for your idea at the top of the post I make so that everyone knows you helped me out.

It's a team effort between writer and reader from now on! I'll be counting on you guys to give me support and I'll try my 9001% effort to write more chapters for you to read. Our goal is to end this fanfic with 18 chapters or more! Let's make it come true! <3

BarcIay

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Yaneza View Post

OH! Before I forget!

I'm in need of suggestions of what to happen on the next chapter! My sugar rush in terms of plot for this fanfic is dying down and it's about time I asked my readers what they want to see! Of course, should I incorporate your idea into the plot of the next chapter, I'll give you credit for your idea at the top of the post I make so that everyone knows you helped me out.

It's a team effort between writer and reader from now on! I'll be counting on you guys to give me support and I'll try my 9001% effort to write more chapters for you to read. Our goal is to end this fanfic with 18 chapters or more! Let's make it come true! <3
It would be interesting to see Demacia fully mobilized against Noxus, blaming them for the attack. Of course, Noxus might not be behind the bombings, (you didn't give any evidence to as such) so it would also be really interesting to see Noxus try to defend itself against a Demacia that is pissed to all hell and back.

Mirage Night

06-11-2012

So much possibility. I cant wait to read the next one.

GodsEye

06-12-2012

What about that Garen and Katarina find Darius in the woods near Demacia, finding out he was the one who set those bombs. Garen steps up to fight, but Katarina decides she must fight Darius this time, since she has seen the pain Garen has suffered?

GodsEye

06-19-2012

Bump so it wouldnt get lost

BarcIay

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-20-2012

As someone who would be really upset to see this fanfiction die, bump.

06-21-2012

What about some. . .
MUNDO!

AlAlva

06-21-2012

keep going
im enjoying reading it