How do i change avatar in forum?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliehZorfvant View Post
volunteers??? o.- =o how do i become a volunteeer so illbe able to have my own avatar xD
You don't become a volunteer to get your own avatar, you get your own avatar because you're a volunteer.

I know that sounds a bit unhelpful, but if you're in it for the avatar, let me just stop you right here and now. I can't say much about the others, but I know I'm personally somewhere in the 14-18k posts right now, and I had been posting pretty regularly for six months before someone from Riot approached me. You don't get an avatar because you want to look special.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Temphis

Junior Member

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
Banning is reactive and doesn't undo the harm caused by an inappropriate avatar. To allow custom avatars you would either need to risk this happening (and then punish offenders - again this isn't a solution, merely a necessity) or have a team dedicated to personally reviewing each and every avatar.

Some people suggest a selection of available avatars, but this has its own problems. First you need to have enough that you don't see the same dozen in every forum. (What's the point of having an avatar if it looks like everyone else's.) Secondly, if you were to allow champion avatars, they would need to rethink Rioter avatars. Meddler, for instance, is quite recognizable by his Ziggs avatar, just as Xyph (Vlad, whatever his Victorian skin is called), Morello (Noxus Hunter Anivia), and plenty of others. If these avatars are no longer unique to Rioters, what do you do? If you're not allowing champion avatars, there are only so many poses of minions you can have before they all start looking the same.

If you want to be memorable, make good points and have a memorable name. Renekton Bot is well known for instance, even though he doesn't have an avatar, as is RinTheYordle.
wow, lol, I'm sorry, but this is not a good excuse for not having pre-made avatar selection. there are more playable champions available then there are summoner icons to pick from, especially if you included character skins as additional icons. In fact, by your logic, we might as well not even have summoner icons, since there are only 20 something.

in addition, Moderators are not identified by their avatar picture, they are identified by their title, and different color of text, just as you are. if you didn't have an avatar, I'd still know you were a moderator on the forum.

The problem here, is that all of us have the same avatar, a question mark. all that does, is make the forum look like it doesn't have an active community, which, if you ask me, doesn't reflect the community all that well.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scruffy DireWolf

Member

01-22-2013

I agree that they should implement summoner spells/champion spells and item icons to the forums for avatars!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EUniqe

Member

01-29-2013

I'm completely baffled as to why custom avatars are disabled. In all my years, browsing through hundreds of message boards, i've never, EVER come across or heard of people using offensive avatars. It's a non-issue, don't build it up pointlessly. And sure, maybe 1 in ten thousand people MIGHT consider offending, and even then thats a small amount of reviewing to be done for reported avatars.

There is literally no reason for us not to be able to upload our own images. Why has no other message board i've ever seen do this? Are you really that afraid of doing the work reviewing the almost non-existent amount of offensive avatars? If they don't appear offensive at first glance, then their not, move on. Doesn't sound like a huge workload requiring a dedicated team to me. At the bare minimumn you could just remove those people's avatar rights, and then maybe a ban upon secondary offenses.

This really shouldn't be an issue.

But sure, you'll allow someone to name their account "*****anusface" and allow that sort of offensive personality... where is the logic here?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clanmasta

Member

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantuu View Post
Personally I'd also like to be able to make skill icons or possibly even items as my avatar as well. For instance I like Fizz's Urchin Strike image and I use it as my avatar on my Youtube channel. That could easily diminish the amount of people having the same avatar.
Well actually it wouldn't. If 100 people in the world played League, then yes, this would drastically reduce the number of people with the same icons. However, WAY more people play than 100. Look down your friends list in-game, and you will see (if you have many friends) atleast 3 of them will be the same. There are only so many icons, and many more players.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clanmasta

Member

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUniqe View Post
I'm completely baffled as to why custom avatars are disabled. In all my years, browsing through hundreds of message boards, i've never, EVER come across or heard of people using offensive avatars. It's a non-issue, don't build it up pointlessly. And sure, maybe 1 in ten thousand people MIGHT consider offending, and even then thats a small amount of reviewing to be done for reported avatars.

There is literally no reason for us not to be able to upload our own images. Why has no other message board i've ever seen do this? Are you really that afraid of doing the work reviewing the almost non-existent amount of offensive avatars? If they don't appear offensive at first glance, then their not, move on. Doesn't sound like a huge workload requiring a dedicated team to me. At the bare minimumn you could just remove those people's avatar rights, and then maybe a ban upon secondary offenses.

This really shouldn't be an issue.

But sure, you'll allow someone to name their account "*****anusface" and allow that sort of offensive personality... where is the logic here?
Ok well your first point is utterly invalid. PLENTY of people create terribly offensive avatars on message boards. This points to one of two things: You are lying or you have not gone to as many message boards as you think you have.

Second: Riot would not only have to review the bad ones, but also the good ones. Riot believes in the Philosophy that prevention is better than reaction (read through many of their forum posts.) As a result of this a full, dedicated, (and likely) paid team would have to be constructed for an extraordinarily tedious task.

Third: I refer back to my first point for this. You say, "no other message board i've ever seen do this?" Other than bad capitalization, there is something else wrong with this. PLENTY of boards do this. If you have been to hundreds of message boards, and you have never seen this...I really don't see how.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A6yearoldgamer

Senior Member

02-01-2013

Riot should give a select list of avatars as they have done with in client pictures it gives us some form of identity while still keeping it appropriate.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XAlFias

Senior Member

02-01-2013

how about the summoner icons we have in game ? no ?

well atleast remove the question mark


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xtremyst122

Junior Member

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunPewPew View Post
I doubt Riot will implement it. The reason is that it allows people to put whatever they want on there as an image. People can put sexually explicit images there, or offensive images. Disabling avatars prevents having to deal with problems such as that. If you've noticed, a lot of disabled features other games have are disabled as a preventive thing.
Gravatar with PG restriction


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NA EurekaSeven

Junior Member

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
While the majority of Riot employees use champions, there are some that use skills, buffs, or various portions of champion splash art (Skarner's tail). Whether they would be forced to change their avatars or Riot is thinking about not giving avatars at all (or at least not champions) is yet to be seen.
necroing here..

So im stuck being the age old question mark? I understand the employees want to keep their image sole to just them, and for good reason(someone impersonating them.)

I just don't see the huge picture in reducing the social sense of the forums or the website for that matter. You host updates each week on the YT channel and have this very friendly alure to League, but want to keep icons sole to just employees for a minor security reason?