Blue Vs. Purple

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AdamasHaima

05-16-2012

Lots of anti-purple sentiment lately in the forums so I wanted to put this out there.

I really see both sides in the arguement.

the visibility of useful map areas is less when playing purple.

unlocking the screen fixes it, and the best players have their screens unlocked, so everyone should.

there are people here who only play casually though, we aren't interested in being the 'best' we want to have fun.

Here is what I propose. For those of us who desire to have our screen locked, add the option to lock your character in various screen locations, top left, top, top right, middle left, middle, middle right, bottom left, bottom and bottom right of the screen (i believe a similar suggestion was made in regard to spectator mode). this will benefit both sides evenly, allow the UI to be moved out of the way and provide the full range of skillshots while firing down (inparticularly skill shots like Olaf's Undertow, which is adjustable in length, and even with the shrunken UI that I use, it only has about 50% range when firing strait down as would be the case in top lane after taking blues first tower

truely, in bottom lane with all towers up, so long is the lane is not push, gankes from behind are unlikely, having the blue ranged ad locked on the middle left will give better view of minions. locking a (blue support character in the bottom left of the screen while in bottom lane allows one to stay in the bushes but still see what is happening. A xerath in mid would be able to lock the screen farther out for ranged spells. Junglers would be able to adjust the screen so they could better watch for people walking in on them, top lane would be able to shift vision so they could see the enterance from river better.

More importantly, the logistics issues are not present. to flip a map that is not identical on both sides and not 3d (since 3d can be rotated more easily because there is a "back" to each object) requires a good deal of work on RIOTs part. However, to add options for locking the screen in various positions would be a modification of what is already present, and would still achieve much of the same result.

Lastly, I don't understand what those who argue against making a change to address this issue will feel that they will lose. should RIOT impliment an option to flip the view what will you have lost? Similarly, should RIOT impliement my suggestion (and realistically I know they won't) what will you have lost? sure, an option you don't use will have been added, but that just means you will not see any change.

So to those who think I am wrong: Tell my why this will not resolve the issue, why it would not be logistically possible to impliment, or what would be lost by implimenting it.

Bukumber Express

05-16-2012

When playing purple, why not just create an option to move the toolbar to the top of the screen as opposed to the bottom?

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornley View Post
When playing purple, why not just create an option to move the toolbar to the top of the screen as opposed to the bottom?
They don't necessarily have that option, but on my screen is fairly itty bitty, so it has no effect on my bottom laning in the least. Just make it small.

That said, I'm not sure I ever understand this argument seeing as I have never locked my screen. I no longer have the hotkey to center myself, either. I didn't use it.

People who are constantly finding reasons why they are losing bug me, though. This is a game, you're going to win and you're going to lose. You're not going to lose a game against someone who is worse than you are because you can't see the bottom right hand corner of your lane. If you do, you deserve to lose.

NEEDmoarPSI

05-16-2012

First, i'd like to say, if you're playing with your screen locked... stop. there is no reason for this and it only hinders your ability. Don't get me wrong, i can understand why people do it but you'll only become a better player by unlocking your screen. Secondly, in trems of having a long ranged ability and not being able to target beyond your screen, regardless of where your mouse is on the screen a skill shot ability will target in the direction of your mouse. A single missed skill shot has NEVER and will NEVER be the reason you lost the game. In terms of a target ability (such as Brand's pillar of flame) move the screen. Now, i understand if people who play with a locked screen don't get this but say i tell Caitlin to place a yordle snare trap in some brush that is out of the range of the ability she will move herself untill she can do so or i interrupt. Same with brand or olaf or Teemo or Master Yi ect. The point is STOP B****ING and get better.

OriginalJack

05-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamasHaima View Post
Lastly, I don't understand what those who argue against making a change to address this issue will feel that they will lose. should RIOT impliment an option to flip the view what will you have lost? Similarly, should RIOT impliement my suggestion (and realistically I know they won't) what will you have lost? sure, an option you don't use will have been added, but that just means you will not see any change.
Not trying to take one side or the other but I think one of the reasons people don't want it changed is because they feel there are more important things riot could be spending it's time on (stealth remake etc.) instead of fixing something that people could be fixing themselves by unlocking the camera or just dealing with it.

NinjaChopsticks

05-16-2012

I kinda understand why people refuse to unlock the screen, as I used to be one of them, however I tried unlocking the screen and after 5-6 games it became so much easier to use the unlocked screen.

You can still play casually and use an unlocked screen. Try it, play a few games with it, and soon you'll find you're far more used to it.

AdamasHaima

05-17-2012

and everyone missed the point

starting with needmoarPSI. I said that this is for people who want to play with the screen locked, unlocking the screen is not a solution. people are going to play how they want, and if they do not want to unlock their screen, they will not. next time please read the full post as I address this there. Also, the reason I specifically mention Olaf's Undertow (which either you didn't fully read or aren't familiar with) is because it is a skillshot which has variable length, it does not continue past the cursor. having the cursor close the him means the skillshot ends closer to him. as the skillshot cannot be cast through the UI on the screen, its length IS limited by the UI.

NinjaBhopsticks. Same issue, this is about what people want to do, telling them to do something else is not a solution.

Original Jack. Yes, Riot has limited resources, but the team that manages champion design is almost surely not the team that manages in game UI-type features. The team that would likely be doing this would be the team that implimented colorblind mode, and the recent UI update. furthremore, and again, unlocking the camera is not a solution for those who do not wish to.

Thornley and Reimie have their own thing going on so i'll leave them to it.

terror kay

05-17-2012

I hate how everyone thinks that because the best players have their screen unlocked you can't be good without it

Iraldain

05-17-2012

I'm going to have to agree with NinjaChopsticks. There is an option for you if you like having your screen locked but don't want to miss skillshots: Unlock your screen. Being able to control your screen is really something any PC gamer should already know, no matter how casually you play. In the reasonably common situation where you need to recenter your screen on your champion, you just press space.

OriginalJack

05-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by terror kay View Post
I hate how everyone thinks that because the best players have their screen unlocked you can't be good without it
Actually it seems to me like people who want it changed are saying that they can't be good with it because it puts them at a disadvantage and they are looking for a better solution than just "Unlock the screen noob". I don't think it has anything to do with what the best players are doing.