Solo Top Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

plutinoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-13-2012

As solo top is a lane that is full of counterpicking, its difficult to get a grasp on who counters who (just hit 30). With the updates changing a couple of characters and making them more viable AKA Kayle, Irelia getting rebuffed, and Shen becoming more viable from recent buffs and nerfs, i was wondering who the most reliable solo tops are. I already own Irelia, Riven, Olaf, Fiora, Dr. Mundo, Urgot and Volibear. I was thinking around the lines of Kennen and Vladimir being in the highest possible reliable characters, and i hear that Renekton and Rumble are really good, along with Lee Sin. Anyone mind putting in their input on who i should focus on purchasing/learning to increase my chances of being successful in the top lane? Thanks for your input I appreciate it.

SaxDude95

06-20-2012

I'm no expert in solo top but I've done a fair amount. If I'm solo top and have an early pick ie I can be counterpicked then my best choices are vlad and kennen.
Vlad can swap and go mid so isn't forced there if countered hard. IMO the best top for "any" game regardless of the opponents is Kennen, you can go AP or AD and get good at him you have no mana and can sustain and bully your opponent really well, plus he's ranged. Also kennen is very viable mid or bot too so the other team can't counter you reliably since you just go somewhere else if you want to. Great fun to play
I wouldn't suggest doing volibear top, he's very easy to kite for a ranged counterpick (vlad, kennen for examples I already mentioned), I'd only jungle him but I've seen people pull it off.
If you need to be tanky then Shen if he's not banned otherwise I've had some good times with Jarvan - have a look into that one
These just my opinions but I hope they help

Cheers

DonnFirinne

06-20-2012

Renekton is the best thing since slice and diced bread.

That's all I have to say.

LunarisDream

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2012

The first 3 champs you listed are your best bet, along with Malphite. The latter 4 are not as viable solo top.

b0stekk

06-20-2012

I love Dr. Mundo on top, but u need to play defensive the first levels and use your Cleaver to farm, after first levels u will be a machine and no one will stop you (:

slimjimo10

06-20-2012

Teemo is a nice pick top since he has range, poison, and a blind. Not to mention mushrooms so you won't need wards, and they are easy to secure kills with.
Kayle is also a very viable pick, never tried her top personally.
I never played Yorick, but I heard he's one of the best tops in the game, along with Olaf, who from experience is very good top also.

hureNNN

Recruiter

06-20-2012

voli sucks at top, mundo sucks at top, fiora sucks at top, urgot only fits sometimes top

WatDaWat

06-20-2012

lux or kat if you want a challenge

Manlyskittles

06-20-2012

i usually go akali or shen top.

gusrider2011

06-20-2012

vlad jarvan kennen, i like cho'gath too but havent seen him top in a while...teemo if ur op player lol mundo better at jungle i think