A couple of things on Varus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Blat

05-13-2012

So thus far, from what I have seen in-game and while reading all the whining on the forums, I am the only person in the entire world who can use Varus effectively. Yeah, I know that's not actually true, but why are GOOD Varus players so few and far between? You have an amazing champ on your hands and you don't even know how to utilize him properly. I have played over 10 games with Varus so far, and have been in a negative K/D score once. Every other Varus I've seen, either on my team or the enemy's, has been stomped on by everyone for either making stupid mistakes or not playing Varus as he is intended.

So I thought I would give my top 10 tips to help out all the Varus players out there.

1.) Charge your Q to its fullest, unless they're up in yo grill. Don't worry, they won't be able to escape, the ability's god-like range ensures that. Unless you are terrible at skillshots, you'll be able to hit them pretty nicely.

2.) His W is there for a reason. Max it second, after your Q. Every time someone says his W is useless I cringe on the inside. Stack 3 Blight on someone, hit them with a full-charged Q and you'll see how useless it is, especially against a squishy carry. 15% of their maximum health in magic damage IN ADDITION to the physical damage from the Q itself. It hurts, people. A lot.

3.) Do not use his E as an offensive ability. Save your mana. Do not harass or shoot it into a teamfight. Use it when escaping, or to help a teammate escape. If you wish you can use it to proc Blight on multiple targets, but this isn't recommended, as the same effect can be reached with a well-placed Q.

4.) Don't over-extend, you have range. Varus' Q supplies you with enough range to stay away from the tower while still being able to poke at tower-huggers and remove them from the premesis. You don't want to be ganked as Varus. Without a sufficient CC it will be very difficult to escape without some work and a blown flash.

5.) His Ult is a snare. Use it. Every time you're being chased by multiple enemies, every time you're trying to track down en elusive foe, every time someone's trying to take baron and you can screw over their tank, pop your ult. You'd be surprised how amazingly useful it is, and how often it will save your life or land you a kill.

6.) In teamfights, target their carry and take them out. Varus is such an amazing anti-carry in teamfights. Once things get heated, get those stacks of Blight on their carry and keep hitting them until they realize they're being murdered. When they start to retreat, as soon as they start to retreat, start charging your Q. You know what to do.

7.) Build attack-speed and crits. Attack speed is vital for Varus, as it allows him to stack blight even faster. I'm going to be honest with you, I find the Champ Spotlight build to be complete garbage, and you'll have much better odds going for something like THIS. Whenever I see an allied Varus buy boots and pots at start, I shake my head, and about 10 minutes in my assumptions are usually proven correct.

8.) Varus can mid with hilarious results. I've mid-ed with Varus several times, against a few different popular mid-champs, and I can safely say that he is a very strong middle lane contender. Once you get to level 2 and have your Blighted Quiver, you should be winning lane rather quickly, if you don't have a gank-happy jungler on the enemy team.

9.) His Q goes through walls. That is all.

10.) 2 stacks of Blight is the minimum. If they have one stack, unless they're about to retreat, do not settle for the reduced damage. Try to get 2 or 3 stacks of Blight every time you fire your Q. Lategame once you have 85% crit and are landing about 400-500 damage per crit on them, this should be an instant kill on a carry that isn't stacking armor.

I hoped this helped you understand Varus a little bit. To me, he's definitely one of my favorite champs to play, if not my favorite.

However, to everyone saying Varus is OP, he really isn't. He's a carry with an exceptional laning phase, but he is very squishy and has no ability-granted escapes, especially if you pincer him. His E is simply a slow, and not even very effective at low levels. His R does snare, but if the enemy team is in a group and chasing him they will most likely be out of its range before it can spread to them as well.

In short, Varus is fine where he is, stop complaining, and please, stop embarrassing him by playing him badly.

Xquirtle

05-13-2012

From what I have seen E is the mos reliable way to pop the % hp damage. I guess some players level Q first, but to me it seems like W should be leveled first to open up the max % hp damage as early as possible. I could see Q being good lane control though.

Tigercule

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blat blat View Post
3.) Do not use his E as an offensive ability. Save your mana. Do not harass or shoot it into a teamfight. Use it when escaping, or to help a teammate escape. If you wish you can use it to proc Blight on multiple targets, but this isn't recommended, as the same effect can be reached with a well-placed Q.
If they have people that heal or have lifesteal (Soraka, WW, Vladimir, anything witha Bloodthirster, etc.) that E is going to be a MAJOR impact on a teamfight or even small skirmish. Also, your Q has a cooldown. Using E to proc blight stacks is perfectly acceptable.
Quote:
Whenever I see an allied Varus buy boots and pots at start, I shake my head, and about 10 minutes in my assumptions are usually proven correct.
Boots+Pots is a very strong start when you don't have a sustain support or against certain supports (like Blizcrank) or Urgot. Doran's Blade is a luxury that you can't always afford to start with.

Other than that I mostly agree.

The Blat

05-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMehDo View Post
From what I have seen E is the mos reliable way to pop the % hp damage. I guess some players level Q first, but to me it seems like W should be leveled first to open up the max % hp damage as early as possible. I could see Q being good lane control though.
It's true that an early % skill is helpful, but a level-5 Q is more versatile when out of lane, when you aren't always in a position to get those stacks of Blight off. Maxing W would be best if you were attempting AP Varus, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercule X View Post
Boots+Pots is a very strong start when you don't have a sustain support or against certain supports (like Blizcrank) or Urgot. Doran's Blade is a luxury that you can't always afford to start with.
I suppose I should have specified, when they also start with Heal and Ignite as their summoner abilities. This almost always means they'll be following the Champ Spotlight to the tee, and I have to say... The spotlight doesn't have the best advice.

Foofm

05-13-2012

You can use both Q and E to pop Blight, just use Q first because it has priority.

You can, Auto x3 - Q - Auto x3 - E.

Or Auto x3 - Ult - Autox3 - Q - Autox3 - E

etc...

Its the lowest priority to use (unless they have self heals or lots of lifesteal/vamp).

The Blat

05-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofm View Post
You can use both Q and E to pop Blight, just use Q first because it has priority.

You can, Auto x3 - Q - Auto x3 - E.

Or Auto x3 - Ult - Autox3 - Q - Autox3 - E

etc...

Its the lowest priority to use (unless they have self heals or lots of lifesteal/vamp).
I didn't consider the Ult as a proc for his Blight, nice one. I dunno, I still don't like using his E to proc Blight, especially lategame when your Q is up nearly all the time. I mean, I'll use it when I need to, but you should always prioritize Q.

Also, if they actually remain alive through that second combo, god ****, that's one hell of a tank.

AndreMR

05-13-2012

I sincerely disagree with most of the suggestions.

The problem of having many bad players with varus, is by insisting on playing with it like any another right click.

Hes bad in x1 ... and so choose heal, to try to stay alive in combat.
Insist on going with him on the bottom line with aliastar or leona ...

That is ... insist on playing with Varus like MF.
This can even work ... if you're playing in a premade.
However, to play with a right click, get a Graves or Caitlyn. They are much better in this regard.

Varus need very good support. Support for HEAL and MANA.
Soraka is best for him. Only with this support, you will be able to use your Q and W effectively without dying in the process.

If you do not have this support, you're in trouble.
In this case, you better invest in some mana reagent to continue shooting the Q. After all, the varus is an excellent Nuker ..... keep throwing your Q until it comes time to finish the opponent.

The range and damage of your Q is the greatest weapon of varus.
So in my opinion, the more you can shoot the Q, better.

and guys..plz..auto x3 - Q - auto x3 - E ?? ??!??!?!?!??!
Is more like: auto x3 - Q - auto ARRRGG...DIE!!! LOL!!!!

Foofm

05-13-2012

Quote:
I didn't consider the Ult as a proc for his Blight, nice one. I dunno, I still don't like using his E to proc Blight, especially lategame when your Q is up nearly all the time. I mean, I'll use it when I need to, but you should always prioritize Q.

Also, if they actually remain alive through that second combo, god ****, that's one hell of a tank.

Hah no you are right. E is the worst move you can use to pop Blight, but if everything else is on cooldown, its viable. I don't like to use it if I'm gunning someone down with autos, but if they run or i need to back up I might pop one off for a kill (I've gotten a few kills this way). Its not worth it as you say, if you are constantly shooting because you lose too much damage.

And yea, I don't think I've had anyone ever live through that second combo.

The Blat

05-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreMR View Post
I sincerely disagree with most of the suggestions.

The problem of having many bad players with varus, is by insisting on playing with it like any another right click.

Hes bad in x1 ... and so choose heal, to try to stay alive in combat.
Insist on going with him on the bottom line with aliastar or leona ...

That is ... insist on playing with Varus like MF.
This can even work ... if you're playing in a premade.
However, to play with a right click, get a Graves or Caitlyn. They are much better in this regard.

Varus need very good support. Support for HEAL and MANA.
Soraka is best for him. Only with this support, you will be able to use your Q and W effectively without dying in the process.

If you do not have this support, you're in trouble.
In this case, you better invest in some mana reagent to continue shooting the Q. After all, the varus is an excellent Nuker ..... keep throwing your Q until it comes time to finish the opponent.

The range and damage of your Q is the greatest weapon of varus.
So in my opinion, the more you can shoot the Q, better.
The more you spam your Q, the more of an idiot you are.
He doesn't need any mana support, and if you're playing intelligently and using his range to your advantage you shouldn't even be getting hit in the lane-phase.
Have you even played Varus?

AndreMR

05-13-2012

Quote:
The more you spam your Q, the more of an idiot you are.
He doesn't need any mana support, and if you're playing intelligently and using his range to your advantage you shouldn't even be getting hit in the lane-phase.
Have you even played Varus?
man ... how to play with varus will depend on who is on your side and the other side.

Apparently you think like most ... and that is why many people have bad playing with varus. He is not a simple right click. your combo mechanics is complicated, dangerous and very slow (for stack debuffs).

As a right click, I think varus horrible compared to most other champions of LoL

For now, varus is new. however, he will disappear from matches to give place to corki and graves. This is inevitable. Ranged AD Carry with little mobility is more like a feeder.

Do you see MF in spactate live? Or at the championships?
The same will happen with the varus.