Riot, please increase queue dodge penalty for normal draft mode

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Timolawl

05-11-2012

First off, I really like that there is normal draft mode for players who wish to transition smoothly into ranked play. It's a fantastic idea. Unfortunately, there does seem to be a problem with how the mode is currently set up. Today, I spent a good 30 minutes trying to start a draft game, but every single time, someone queue dodged, the dodgers many of which dodged at the very last minute. Given that drafting itself takes about 5 minutes from beginning to end, most people would easily give up five minutes of their time to queue dodge for the smallest of unfortunate circumstances.

I don't know if this is the typical, but I would not be surprised. I think a good way to combat this extensive queue dodging is to make the queue dodging penalty time longer for normal draft mode - perhaps 10 minutes instead of 5. That way, people who want to play normal draft can actually play it.

Lastly, I hope that the change to requiring 16 OWNED champions (i.e., free champions no longer counting) for ranked carries over to normal draft mode as well. That way, there will be fewer queue dodges for not having a champion one knows how to play.

Masakan

05-11-2012

oh sure let's punish players for dodgeing a trainwreck just waiting to happen.

ChiefMasterKush

05-11-2012

first dodge is 5mins, second dodge is 15, third is something ridiculous like half an hour or an hour. Maybe even more.

Timolawl

05-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masakan View Post
oh sure let's punish players for dodgeing a trainwreck just waiting to happen.
Same can be said about ranked play, but there's the ELO penalty for dodging, hence the fewer dodges. That system seems to be fine. Sure, occasionally you'll get trolls, but I'd argue that the ranked system is a lot more tenable than having only a five minute penalty in normal draft mode. The five minute penalty is nothing, really, and allows for queue dodging for more frivolous reasons beyond that which you mention.

Timolawl

05-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefMasterKush View Post
first dodge is 5mins, second dodge is 15, third is something ridiculous like half an hour or an hour. Maybe even more.
My point is that the base penalty allows for queue dodging for more frivolous reasons. I'm not referring to a specific player that dodges multiple times, though that may occur, too. Besides, most of us know that others will suggest to others to queue dodge if things look crappy just to avoid the longer delay in queue time if one has already queue dodged recently.

The problem isn't with a single player dodging, but with the current system allowing for players to dodge with really miniscule drawbacks. Five minutes to wait for dodging a queue because I didn't get to play the champion I wanted to play in draft mode? Sure. Draft mode itself takes about 5 minutes to run through before play commences anyway.

BlindingRain

05-11-2012

Well some players like to dodge to get to 800 so they can have a friend use it to boost them out of elo hell (can easily hit around 1400 doing this). This makes for a lot of dodging!

CounterSnipe

05-12-2012

People would still dodge. Chances are when they sit down to play they're going to spend atleast an hour there. If they have to dodge, they're just going to do so and go on addictinggames.com or something for 10 minutes, and then re-do the queue.

Noctis XV

05-12-2012

timonski, if you think about it this way, you say that draft mode purpose is a smooth transition to ranked, and would you really play a ranked game with the smallest inconvenience? It should be perfect, and the ones that qeue dodge are probably the ones that know what is wrong with the team. To practice for a ranked game, it should be set up like a ranked game, not a normal blind game.

lockpooh

05-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by timonski View Post
My point is that the base penalty allows for queue dodging for more frivolous reasons. I'm not referring to a specific player that dodges multiple times, though that may occur, too. Besides, most of us know that others will suggest to others to queue dodge if things look crappy just to avoid the longer delay in queue time if one has already queue dodged recently.

The problem isn't with a single player dodging, but with the current system allowing for players to dodge with really miniscule drawbacks. Five minutes to wait for dodging a queue because I didn't get to play the champion I wanted to play in draft mode? Sure. Draft mode itself takes about 5 minutes to run through before play commences anyway.
See, I believe the opposite. I think 5 minutes per dodge should be the only penalty for any queue (even ranked). The amount of times I wanted to dodge, but didn't want to take the penalty and ended up in a train wreck game. I really don't want to play with a Riven that takes clarity. Sometimes, I'm just sick of picking up the slack. There are games where no one wants mid and I end up playing mid 10 games in a row. Tonight, i've jungled like 5 games and just dodged a queue where they were telling me to go jungle.

If I was forced into the game, i'd prob just get sick of it and if it looked like a loss I'd consider just exiting the game. I'd rather have people dodge then get stuck in a game with someone who doesn't want to be there for whatever reason. Your chances of winning go down imo.

Floreal Ruiz

05-24-2012

bump, i getting tired of wasting my time