Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


[Champ Suggestion] Faust, the Merchant of Death

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask the Herald

Member

07-22-2012

Quote:
BergMeister:
So, yeh. Not to be nitpicking, but your abilities should flow into what your champion is all about, you have all these money based names, but his abilities are all just random abiliites that any other champion might do. It would be cool if he threw coins as his basic attack, he could have a coin toss ability which either boons your or debuffs your enemy depending on what it landed on, or perhaps an ability where he augmented a random item in an allies inventory. he should passively gain gold or perhaps gain a discount at the shop. Idk, make me believe hes a merchant.


UGH! Guys like you really frustrate me, making me repeat myself once again.

Faust's title is not based on his abilities as shown, it's the title he's gained from the trades and business he's done which has resulted in the misfortune or demise of others. He's called the "Merchant of Death" because most of his wares are dangerous, perhaps even deadly, items of certain doom.

I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO ALTER THE NATURE OF HIS ABILITIES, JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT A STEREOTYPICAL "MERCHANT" CHARACTER! HIS BEING A MERCHANT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW HE WOULD FIGHT ON THE FIELDS OF JUSTICE.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BergMeister

Senior Member

07-22-2012

Quote:
Ask the Herald:
UGH! Guys like you really frustrate me, making me repeat myself once again.

Faust's title is not based on his abilities as shown, it's the title he's gained from the trades and business he's done which has resulted in the misfortune or demise of others. He's called the "Merchant of Death" because most of his wares are dangerous, perhaps even deadly, items of certain doom.

I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO ALTER THE NATURE OF HIS ABILITIES, JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT A STEREOTYPICAL "MERCHANT" CHARACTER! HIS BEING A MERCHANT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW HE WOULD FIGHT ON THE FIELDS OF JUSTICE.


Caps lock doesn't help btw, I come to these forums to give reviews, and to have my ideas reviewed as well, the reason why a lot of people are hellbent on the idea that he would fit that stereotypical merchant role is because that is the first thing people think of when you say merchant. Choosing a title of your champion may sound good with his lore, but not all of us (not including me, i love lore) don't read into lore and its a tad deceptive. Understand, these are simple suggestions not demands.With that said, I in turn refuse to review for people who do not want to hear criticism, which is part of the purpose of this forum. My suggestion was simple, I simply said the title is deceptive for what the champion actually is. Take it as you wish, if you don't like it, you don't have to use it. But I'm only here to help.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Void22

Senior Member

07-22-2012

A fascinating idea. I love how you did your research for this and I must say that the champion looks good.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask the Herald

Member

07-23-2012

Quote:
BergMeister:
Caps lock doesn't help btw, I come to these forums to give reviews, and to have my ideas reviewed as well, the reason why a lot of people are hellbent on the idea that he would fit that stereotypical merchant role is because that is the first thing people think of when you say merchant. Choosing a title of your champion may sound good with his lore, but not all of us (not including me, i love lore) don't read into lore and its a tad deceptive. Understand, these are simple suggestions not demands.With that said, I in turn refuse to review for people who do not want to hear criticism, which is part of the purpose of this forum. My suggestion was simple, I simply said the title is deceptive for what the champion actually is. Take it as you wish, if you don't like it, you don't have to use it. But I'm only here to help.


I gave him a title that fits what his job is, which is in line with what other champions have. It's not mandatory to give your champion a title based on their abilities BY DEFAULT. The point of a Champion's title is to give a hint of what the champion's about. It's not just lore, and your nitpicking the title is pretty redundant when there are champions with titles not related to their abilities (Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow; Jayce, the Defender of Tomorrow; Graves, the Outlaw).

I can understand if you're just giving critique. I love constructive criticism, specifically. If you're able to give actual criticism of his abilities, that is, ways to improve them or tweak them to fit the theme I've offered (not wealth or gold related), then I'm receptive. But all you did was go "Give him merchant powers", which goes against what I stated in the first page.

And I apologize for the capslock, but you were being an idiot.

Quote:
Void22:
A fascinating idea. I love how you did your research for this and I must say that the champion looks good.


Thank you, you really think I did research? I just like the Faustian legend and I've been trying to make champions based on mythic or legendary figures. Faust is the first, and then Gilford (King Midas). I was thinking of doing a "Jack the Ripper" type of champ next.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Void22

Senior Member

07-23-2012

Well then I wish you the best of luck.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask the Herald

Member

07-23-2012

Thanks.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saitu

Member

07-23-2012

A bump war has ensued young sire


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Script Lord

Senior Member

07-23-2012

I see....


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Poeta Somnium

Senior Member

07-27-2012

The individual ideas are pretty solid, but it doesn't quite tie together. His backstory focuses pretty heavily on his career as a dealer of arcane wares, but the abilities are all based on "shadow." Understandable, since Meph is the Lord of Shadow, but I think it could be interesting to see some of Faust's devious wares come into play. Otherwise mentioning them in the lore seems kind of like a tease.

My suggestion is split the kit in half, and have the ultimate switch between the two. Faust's basic abilities make use of a selection of armaments; (Q could be some type of black magic cannon, W a dark shield generator, E an enchanted gauntlet, - just ideas,) and then his ult would unlock the true power of the contract, giving Faust access to Meph's specter and all the abilities thereof.

This wouldn't require the alteration of any of the principle kit mechanics, really; just reword it so that the first set of abilities works off of Faust's arcane weapons and the other is more directly linked to his even darker secret (the summoning of Mephistopheles himself.) That way you have a direct representation of both sides of the character. Just to give him a little more depth.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask the Herald

Member

07-27-2012

Quote:
Poet Ultima:
The individual ideas are pretty solid, but it doesn't quite tie together. His backstory focuses pretty heavily on his career as a dealer of arcane wares, but the abilities are all based on "shadow." Understandable, since Meph is the Lord of Shadow, but I think it could be interesting to see some of Faust's devious wares come into play. Otherwise mentioning them in the lore seems kind of like a tease.

My suggestion is split the kit in half, and have the ultimate switch between the two. Faust's basic abilities make use of a selection of armaments; (Q could be some type of black magic cannon, W a dark shield generator, E an enchanted gauntlet, - just ideas,) and then his ult would unlock the true power of the contract, giving Faust access to Meph's specter and all the abilities thereof.

This wouldn't require the alteration of any of the principle kit mechanics, really; just reword it so that the first set of abilities works off of Faust's arcane weapons and the other is more directly linked to his even darker secret (the summoning of Mephistopheles himself.) That way you have a direct representation of both sides of the character. Just to give him a little more depth.


Hmm....I'm hesitant to make him a direct fighter, because the entire point behind his character was that he holds the Contract of Mephistopheles, which gives him tenure over the Lord of Shadow himself. He's a merchant by trade, obviously, so would it make any sense for him to use his own wares? These are artifacts capable of causing untold pain, destruction, and even death. Things that could even risk his own soul.

If I rework Faust's abilities to utilize his arcane relics, then it would mean making him less reliant on Mephistopheles (which was the point all along, all of his normal abilities currently draw from Mephi partially manifesting himself into this plane).