Champion Creation Tips v3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Katsuni

05-08-2012

Well, we're in business now ^.^

The first few sections are up, the reference to other posts system is working properly, and the guide is now as large as the Champion Creation Tips v2 post was already, and that's just the index O.o;

Creepy stuff!

Feel free to start browsing now, and I'll start adding full length, more detailed articles as the next few weeks go by, as this is an awful lot of writing to do, and I'm doing several other important tasks at the same time, here.

Still, it's more than enough to get started with, so feel free to make use of what's there. Let me know if there are any particular articles you'd like me to begin work on before others, as there's no need for this to be done in order =3

Katsuni

05-08-2012

Wewtsauce, the first full fledged article is finished! I hope to have the entire first page done by the end of the night, but we'll see how that goes =3

----
EDIT: In actuality, I don't think I'll be able to do the other two. I have another project on the forum here I've been meaning to do for awhile, and have been putting off. Not quite sure why, since I've been eager to start it.

Anyway, I'll be writing the back story to my Nemhain champion design tonight, and I'm looking at about an 8,000-10,000 word short story, preferably. It may end up being a little overrun, but whatever.

I'd like to also be doing a short story for each of the individual champions involving the lead up to a major event, vaguely similar to the methodology by which the Black Library has the Horus Heresy novels set up, but a little different format.

An idea of like following one champion at a time, and providing a story that follows that one around, but is part of a continuing story arc, where each new champion moves a little bit further in the plot line, but covers much of the same previous material, showing what had happened elsewhere at the previous time.

I'd give more details, but I'm afraid those are confidential! Don't want to give it all away early ^.~

ObscureClockwork

05-08-2012

Holy katsuni
this is crazy, imma favorite this!

Katsuni

05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureClockwork View Post
Holy katsuni
this is crazy, imma favorite this!
XD

Yes, yes it is.

I've been saying for months that this has been under development, and I guess peoples now appreciate the reason behind why it's taken so long to have it prepared for release.

Even now, it's still not done, by any means, but since it has separate modules that I can just dump in as they're completed, it'll work far better than the previous version, able to both provide a "short, quick overview of an idea", as well as a ridiculously in depth discussion on important aspects of the game that I was forced to only touch partially upon previously due to character count limitations.

I literally have 300,000 words worth of space at my disposal this time, and a sane organizational system to keep it from just turning into a mess.

I hope yeu, and everyone else, get to make full use out of the contents, since it has taken a great deal of work to get it even this far =3

Also, I even went through and edited for spelling and grammar, just to make it easier to read. If I'm going to tote it as the "ultimate champion creation guide, never to be replaced by anyone, ever", then it really deserves at least that much ^.~

Anyway, feel free to check back often, as I'm far from done adding new articles to it. It's about as informative as the v2 version was, so far, but it should soon heavily surpass that point ^.^

Katsuni

05-11-2012

Woohoo, over 1,500 views, and 1 reply! Yay! XD

At least it means peoples are reading and learning, so that's a start, though it does strike me as irrationally hilarious.

SolarXclipse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2012

so long............

Katsuni

05-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarXclipse View Post
so long............
Why do I feel an obligatory, and compulsive need, to say "That's whot she said"?

Icraig33

05-12-2012

umm... quick question:

Have you ever thought about making a simple google doc? I have a feeling it would be much easier to manage that way

Katsuni

05-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icraig33 View Post
umm... quick question:

Have you ever thought about making a simple google doc? I have a feeling it would be much easier to manage that way
I actually considered making it into a wikipedia format, originally.

In the end, there were a few reasons not to do so.

First off, this would mean it would be an external link, which would mean that many would not bother to follow the link, and would learn nothing from it. That's problematic in and of itself.

Additionally, by doing so, it would become able to be viewed more readily by Riot's competitors. The stuff contained in this guide is more advanced than whot DotA2 apparently has to work with, considering their design decisions so far, and to be perfectly blunt, I don't really want them to have easy access to this. By keeping it within the forum, here, it's assumed it's only generic, crappy, fan fiction quality stuff, and they won't bother wandering into our forum to nab the stuff.

The only people who are likely to read this, at the moment, are those who make fan champions for League of Legends, and that's actually how I want it. I'm not doing this to be famous, or to get attention, I'm doing it to help yeu guys out in bettering yeur own champion designs, and to have my own thoughts written down in an organized manner, so that I can follow my own information when I'm stuck on something and having issues trying to sort my thoughts out. It's easy to know so much that yeu don't know whot yeu know anymore XD

Anyway, the point is, this is here for yeur use, specifically, and a little bit of use for myself. I don't want it labeled as a design document and put out in an easy to stumble across wiki entry for just anyone to see. As long as it looks like generic fan-fic quality ****, GOOD. At least, until yeu people actually get inside here and start reading up on it.

Yeu're being handed professional level documentation on how to go about character design. Yes, it's ridiculously long, but really, there's an awful lot of information to cover in detail.

This post is designed to be the final word on fan-champion design, and to give yeu all the information yeu could ever hope for on any given topic related to champion design. If yeu get stuck on something in particular, scan through the index, find whot the problem is, and go read up on it. This should be more than enough to cover any questions, and help yeu along considerably.

Anyway, I need to add a few more sections today, and shall be doing so after I've had breakfast. Please take this for whot it is: an enormous depository of information that is, quite simply put, for yeur eyes only.

Riot has their own design documentation and supervisors to fill the role of this guide, so they probably don't need it so much, and their competitors, though probably in need of this, equally in probability, should not have their hands on it.

Anyway, I'm sorry that it's long, but this is why it has been broken into so many sections with both a short, consumable version, and a full fledged article on each topic. I'm trying to cram several years worth of college level design courses and on the job training into a single post, so it simply can't be made into brief "point form explanations", because it wouldn't cover the information that needs to be covered in the detail I need to cover it in for it to make sense.

So, I'mma go have breakfast, sorries again for it being so long, but hopefully the method of organization is adequate enough, given its purpose. I also kind of hope this answers yeur question, too XD

ElementSteel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-13-2012

HurrdeHurr.
Bump for you, Cat.