Champion Creation Tips v3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS14e59d59b32ce62e1e83c

12-07-2012

Hello, Katsuni! This guide was THE BEST! I couldnt stop reading it. I read the whole thing and I have a question that you dont seem to answer. That is, why DO we design champions? Should the process be done because the league is lacking something and we want to implement it, or because there we simply want something new? Is it acceptable to create champions for the sake of creating champions? Should it have a specific purpose?

ploki122

12-08-2012

Dayum Katsu! Apparently, no matter how hard I try, your repulsive wall of text still brings in more people than my attractive cooperative operations... (It just shows how selfish most of PC is :P). Still, very good work on getting always more people coming in.

Additionally, I dare say I would really like if you could hop by an older concept of mine (although given my current IRL workload, all of my concepts feel older to me) and give a small review. I can't promise I'll put as much time on him as you did for the review, but right now, I pretty much reached a statu quo where I think that whatever could make him better would simply detract from the original concept. So yeah, basically I'm wondering if the initial concept that felt doable and fun, actually is. The two things I can promise you however, is that if I find a way, given your review, to make my champion better without ditching my initial concept, I will invest as much time as needed (there's already been quite a bit racked up behind him ),, and also that whatever I gain from that feedback, much like what I heard from V2 and V3, will be used in the future (concepts or not, amateur or, maybe eventually, professional).

Katsuni

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerTrousers View Post
Hello, Katsuni! This guide was THE BEST! I couldnt stop reading it. I read the whole thing and I have a question that you dont seem to answer. That is, why DO we design champions? Should the process be done because the league is lacking something and we want to implement it, or because there we simply want something new? Is it acceptable to create champions for the sake of creating champions? Should it have a specific purpose?
Well, I'm mostly glad yeu enjoyed it! A little scary that it was good enough to sit through though, considering how long it is XD

Anyway! For yeur question... this is something I can't personally answer myself, as it's up to the individual to find their own reasons and motivations. I can, however, cover a few of the reasons.

First and foremost, the champions in this section are not going to be used in game (though they may be used very lightly for inspiration). As such, the goal to design for the hope of implementation is probably not the best choice. If yeu want to see it in the game, well... yeu probably never will. I would not recommend this.

Still, why do we do it? Some of us just like to create things. Some like character design as a hobby, or perhaps do it professionally and just enjoy it enough that, even on our off hours, it's still fun to do!

The specifics are up to the individual, but I'd generally suggest that it should be something yeu WANT to do. If yeu aren't enjoying yeurself, why bother?

If yeu enjoy making champions, then it mostly boils down, after that point, to things like whot yeu want in a champion that isn't there already. For example, designing a champion that yeu, personally, would want to play, with mechanics or a theme that isn't present in the game.

Regardless, I can't tell yeu how to enjoy doing something; it's personal preference. Yeu either like making champions, or yeu don't. If it feels like a chore that yeu trudge through for the slim glimmer of a chance of seeing it in game, then it's not really worth bothering; even if there's a chance it could get into the game, the chance is effectively zero because yeu clearly don't have a desire and passion for making the champion, so it won't be good enough anyway.

The only thing I can really say with certainty, is that yeu have to have fun making champions. If yeu don't enjoy the process, then nothing else matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploki122 View Post
Dayum Katsu! Apparently, no matter how hard I try, your repulsive wall of text still brings in more people than my attractive cooperative operations... (It just shows how selfish most of PC is :P). Still, very good work on getting always more people coming in.
=P

Yeah, I don't get it either, but whotever. At least it gets them thinking, and for that I'm grateful <3
Quote:
Additionally, I dare say I would really like if you could hop by an older concept of mine (although given my current IRL workload, all of my concepts feel older to me) and give a small review. I can't promise I'll put as much time on him as you did for the review, but right now, I pretty much reached a statu quo where I think that whatever could make him better would simply detract from the original concept. So yeah, basically I'm wondering if the initial concept that felt doable and fun, actually is. The two things I can promise you however, is that if I find a way, given your review, to make my champion better without ditching my initial concept, I will invest as much time as needed (there's already been quite a bit racked up behind him ),, and also that whatever I gain from that feedback, much like what I heard from V2 and V3, will be used in the future (concepts or not, amateur or, maybe eventually, professional).
For those who are asking for reviews, and it's not just yeu, this is for everyone, I do have a limited amount of time. Part of my free time right now is devoted to making my own champion for the MCCC(P) contest thingie going on right now (note that there's still a few days to sign up for this month's!).

This means I don't have an awfully large amount of time left over to do personal reviews. If/when I go to do a review, I would request putting as much time and effort into making it nearly perfect before I get there, so as to not have to repeat the things already in this guide. That way, yeu get more useful information for yeur specific design, instead of just a rehash of whot's already written here. =3

Anyway, I'll have time for a few reviews, but it's not going to be in large quantities, so don't form a parade of people asking for every champion yeu own to be reviewed pleaaaaase!

ploki122

12-08-2012

hehe np, as long as I get your input before 2014, I'm ok with it :P. As for making it as close to perfect as possible, like mentioned, I can't find a way to make it better without going too far awy from my initial concept, that's why I wanted an external opinion on what were the problems in his/her opinion.

Katsuni

12-09-2012

Yarr, it wasn't intended "just for yeu" ploki, more of a blanket statement in general for everyone =P

blackkat101

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsuni
For those who are asking for reviews, and it's not just yeu, this is for everyone, I do have a limited amount of time. Part of my free time right now is devoted to making my own champion for the MCCC(P) contest thingie going on right now (note that there's still a few days to sign up for this month's!).

This means I don't have an awfully large amount of time left over to do personal reviews. If/when I go to do a review, I would request putting as much time and effort into making it nearly perfect before I get there, so as to not have to repeat the things already in this guide. That way, you get more useful information for your specific design, instead of just a rehash of whot's already written here. =3

Anyway, I'll have time for a few reviews, but it's not going to be in large quantities, so don't form a parade of people asking for every champion yeu own to be reviewed pleaaaaase!
Completely understandable. Time constraints can be a pain (personally going to school full time and two jobs).

I have spent a little over 40 hours now on Shia, The Void's Timid Doppel. Had a one and a two hour conversation with two different friends on it (posted for reference). Had a small conversation with Wulffe and Moby the White on what they thought of Shia and have asked one of my college English professors (even though I'm not taking any English classes, just found a free one) to correct my Lore for grammatical errors. After taking into consideration those 4 people's thoughts, I've done multiple rebalancing of skills and stats and hopefully Shia is now close to perfect (though of course there could always be room for improvements, which is why I'm asking for a review).

Of course if you do not have time to do a review for any reason, I'll perfectly understand. I'm just looking to improve Shia in any way I can.

- Kat

Katsuni

12-09-2012

The first part of yeur review is up blackkat. I'll be doing it in sections as I have time and inclination to do so, but I was interested in yeur statement that yeu brought it before some English professors to poke it apart. They may have fixed the grammatical errors and spelling, but I can see they clearly aren't professional authors ^.~

I've given yeu a bunch of stuff to think about her lore, hopefully yeu find it of use. I'll get back to yeu with abilities and such later ^.^

Moby the White

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
The first part of yeur review is up blackkat. I'll be doing it in sections as I have time and inclination to do so, but I was interested in yeur statement that yeu brought it before some English professors to poke it apart. They may have fixed the grammatical errors and spelling, but I can see they clearly aren't professional authors ^.~

I've given yeu a bunch of stuff to think about her lore, hopefully yeu find it of use. I'll get back to yeu with abilities and such later ^.^
actually i am a published author...I just didn't spend tons of time doing her review, I attempted to fix and correct as much as I could catch in the time I had.

ploki122

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
actually i am a published author...I just didn't spend tons of time doing her review, I attempted to fix and correct as much as I could catch in the time I had.
I lol'd very hard at that awkward moment (bump this thread)

Katsuni

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
I meant the english professors from the school, and I suppose I meant more along the lines of novel writing in specific. There's a great deal of difference when writing things like biographies, non-fiction, self-help, textbooks, or novels, obviously. Much of the stuff I covered really only applies to fictional writing in relation to character development, so may not have mattered either way =P

Still, my apologies if this was somehow inclusive of yeu. Perhaps I let my little ego swell a little too large after all, and it needs a good kick again XD