Champion Creation Tips v3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skyhawke

08-22-2012

Hey Katsuni, just a reminder that I reworked Jilt'aan.

Also, I saw your last comment with ObscureClockwork and I'm not sure about all the background, but I'd like to take a more active role in helping with the champion concept community. I'm sure I don't have the experience that a bunch of the guys you mentioned have, but I have a pretty good feel for this stuff and - perhaps more importantly - I'm eager to help. Let me know if there's something I can do! I'm serious!

ploki122

08-22-2012

Actually, the best thing to do right now is :
1) Try to get some Red to post in here without actually making them post in concepts so that the people who are trying actually see that this forum is looked at without making the toxic part scream for Red (if nobody has red posts, why would they?)
2) Review champions... if they are good concepts, tell them, if they aren't tell them why. Not from a number point of view, but from a concept one... If you've read this thread you should understand what I mean.
3) Post concepts yourself, and make sure that they're top quality (once again, concept-wise). If you're not good at creating them, then you might also do like Ames and simply discuss about themes/mechanics/possible champs or any other things that comes to your mind...

Skyhawke

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploki122 View Post
Actually, the best thing to do right now is :
1) Try to get some Red to post in here without actually making them post in concepts so that the people who are trying actually see that this forum is looked at without making the toxic part scream for Red (if nobody has red posts, why would they?)
2) Review champions... if they are good concepts, tell them, if they aren't tell them why. Not from a number point of view, but from a concept one... If you've read this thread you should understand what I mean.
3) Post concepts yourself, and make sure that they're top quality (once again, concept-wise). If you're not good at creating them, then you might also do like Ames and simply discuss about themes/mechanics/possible champs or any other things that comes to your mind...
Is that directed towards me? If so I appreciate the tips, I actually have done a little of #2 and #3. I'm looking for a more organized way of reviewing champions though, since it's kind of hard to sort through them all.

If that wasn't directed towards me, my humblest apologies.

ploki122

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk47 View Post
Is that directed towards me? If so I appreciate the tips, I actually have done a little of #2 and #3. I'm looking for a more organized way of reviewing champions though, since it's kind of hard to sort through them all
It was directed to you and I had already pretty much guessed that you did #2 and #3 to some extents. As for #1 it isn't really a serious suggestion, since harassing Reds will never result in anything good... More of a brainstorm of something we could eventually do (I've tried some things, I think I might have piqued 2 Rioters' interest and one of them is a champ designer...).

Otherwise, I do reckon that #2 is the hardest to do well... there are billions of concept (just ask Wuffle, you'll see :P) and not all of them (read as little to none) are actually good... On top of that, most of the bad design are made by peoples who won't even understand why the concept is bad even if you point it out clearly...

What I do these days is look at every concepts that mention elements or a similar thread to try and perfect my own elemental and look at a couple of champs with 5- replies. Then if they are actually good enough, I do review them to the full extent of my knowledge and capabilities. If they aren't really good but still shows some effort, I tend to do a smaller, conceptual review. And if the concept is very bad (either conceptually bad, way overpowered or simply written really badly), I usually don't even finish reading it...

So yeah, to sum it up, what I'm suggesting you is be a tryhard and hope for success :P

Lyon Strife

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

Katsuni nice work on all of this tread with all others that helped you

Also with my little team we are creating some champions

Thorren The Shadow Bringer is our first to be presented in some time

ploki122

08-31-2012

hey just stumbled upon this... I think it was way too far back there and brought it back with me!

Wulffe

09-02-2012

Here's a bump for you.

Nyotaika

09-04-2012

Katsuni, I was wondering how people here handle renaming champions? I was trying to figure how I would go about renaming mine, but evedently, can't rename the thread, so either have a bad thread name, or remake it and then coax Wulffe to include that into his log and hope the other gets burried and start anew... What should I do? I'm not sure.

ploki122

09-04-2012

@Nyo what I did is use a wrong thread name by renaming inside it... But most people would simply create a new one and since Wuffle only takes the first 5 pages, you will drop out of that relatively quickly if you don't bump it (somewhere around 2-4 days most probably) and once it leaves the first 5 pages, ask Wuffle to remove it from the list.

Nyotaika

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploki122 View Post
@Nyo what I did is use a wrong thread name by renaming inside it... But most people would simply create a new one and since Wuffle only takes the first 5 pages, you will drop out of that relatively quickly if you don't bump it (somewhere around 2-4 days most probably) and once it leaves the first 5 pages, ask Wuffle to remove it from the list.
Is it ok if I do though? I mean... I want to recreate it, but then maybe that is frowned upon if I do. So I don't know. But this would be the final name for the project, as I feel it fits best. Idk.