Champion Creation Tips v3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thayen

08-04-2012

Partially stating congratulations on getting some well deserved recognition, partially bumping this just so it's still on the first page.

Katsuni

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploki122 View Post
Yeah, I see what you mean... and thank you ^^ I'll definitely ask for your review once my rough draft is done (amazingly rough draft includes numbers because this concept can't work without numbers...). I think I should be done with it within 2-3 days... and done with the concept within a month (lol... but seriously at least 3 weeks...)

EDIT : just saw how I never upvoted this thread... just did!
Yarr, well I have a bit more time to work with now, at least to a point, though still likely to be busyish for quite awhile. Still I may be able to do reviews again, now. Maybe not a lot, but if yeu're putting that kind of work into it, it sounds promising instead of a "I finished in 30 minutes!"

Anyway, as for the upvotes, I'm not sure that it's possible to lock a thread with a red post in it... or perhaps it's just posts that were made by red posters. Not sure. Either way, it should make it far harder to close the thread at least by a spammer, so that's something at least.

Thanks for the support though! I don't really care about the upvotes personally, as I've stated, but they do save me a ton of time and trouble to repost the guide again :O

Would really be unpleasant to have to go through and reformat it since a lot of things like images, bolding, centering, and other text formatting doesn't show up properly for the saved text files, so it's not just a "copy/paste" task to do.

So... it's appreciated that it can't be downvote spammed by someone who's just in a generically bad mood. Still annoyed at whot happened the last time; there were a few too many posts that were good that got locked due to one person with like 80 some smurf accounts and way too much time on their hands -_-;

Ah well, it's over now hopefully, and with luck, we shant see their kind again. Even if we do, then the threat has been dealt with. Hopefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayen View Post
Partially stating congratulations on getting some well deserved recognition, partially bumping this just so it's still on the first page.
Yarr, I guess I'd be lying if I said I didn't like a little recognition... but it's admittedly also not the real reason for doing stuff. It's nice and all, but if I had to choose between a little recognition and providing actually useful information, I'd rather be useful than recognized for something that didn't deserve it.

So... everyone gets a nice useful guide at least.

It'll probably still need a bit of bumping, but for the most part, it should stay semi alive on it's own now. It's possible to find by red posts or by the top sticky thread, so it'll be a bit easier. Even so, the ones who often need this kind of information are the ones who often don't know where to begin looking, so it's still preferable to keep it somewhere near the front 2-3 pages.

Thanks for helping out in that endeavour <3

Katsuni

08-09-2012

As stated, while I don't have to bump this nearly as often, now, the ones who likely need the help the most, are the ones least likely to go looking for such on the sticky, and as such I'll occasionally bump it back to the top if it gets more than 5-6 pages off the front page.

ObscureClockwork

08-09-2012

bump
very useful guide katsuni

btw, is the thread for aspiring champions still up?
i did find some people who seem pretty cool

Wulffe

08-09-2012

Hey Katsuni.

I did a very, very simple guide to creating champs. Care to take a gander at it? I gave this thread a link from there and put it on the Fan Creations page due to a couple of prods by the guy above me. >.>

Katsuni

08-09-2012

Ploki, I've not forgotten about yeu, and will be checking yeur champion design soon! Sorries about the delay, got a ton of stuffs I'm juggling right now ;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureClockwork View Post
bump
very useful guide katsuni

btw, is the thread for aspiring champions still up?
i did find some people who seem pretty cool
Thanks muchly! The aspiring champions is still up, but there have been some minor issues.

Villanova and ElementSteel have essentially left the forum due to some rather rotten incidents with people being highly disrespectful and rude, to the point that they've more or less lost hope that it's even worth trying to keep things going. Blind and Bliz are still trying to help, and have recently recruited Craig into joining them, but since Thayen stepped out, and I've been dedicating my attentions elsewhere, such as looking for work, as well as working on the guide here... well... the thread's been rather neglected.

I'll see about asking about a revival, as it may be possible, though it could take some effort. Most of the people here don't have the obscenely high patience threshold I do (which is good, because the **** I've had to go through to develop that I wouldn't desire anyone else to have to go through), and as such, generally can't take the constant and consistent ill behaviour. They burn out fast when they try to help out and it feels like no one cares, or are actively ignoring them.

ElementSteel, in particular, just broke after a series of incidents, but the final straw for him was the issue with "The Council's Crafts" post, which is used to house the council's own champion designs as they're exempt from being nominated for the aspiring champion's thread. Far too many people not only didn't bother to read the post for why it existed, but it came to be used as an advertising board where people would spam links to their own champions on it, without reading it.

All things considered, I can't blame him, but the point remains that the people who have tried their hardest to help out the community, such as Echoing, or Thayen, have more or less just given up on it.

I can try to see about reviving it again, but it'll be awhile to be able to instill hope and confidence in the members again, just as it will take effort to maintain such without the newer crew just burning out again.

As I'm anything but relaxed the last few days, on top of that, I can't make any promises any time soon. Sorries ;_;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulffe View Post
Hey Katsuni.

I did a very, very simple guide to creating champs. Care to take a gander at it? I gave this thread a link from there and put it on the Fan Creations page due to a couple of prods by the guy above me. >.>
Sure thing, though I'd prefer a link since I have no clue where to look! XD

I'm not sure whot the title is, or much of anything else to go by, so if yeu could post a link I'd be more than welcome to take a peak.

I have a ton to do right now, so it may not be *TODAY*, but I'll look at it definitely!

After all, I like reading guides ^.^ It's nice to see things like that. Sometimes yeu learn something new. Sometimes they explain something in a new way yeu hadn't considered before. Sometimes yeu just get to think of things from a new angle. Regardless, even if it were exactly the same information as I had, but worded differently, it'd still be well worth the read.

Most likely, however, yeu have some stuff I didn't cover, or skimped on, and honestly, we could use more guides! A variety of options and opinions to work with is simply more healthy than relying on a single voice for information ^.^

Anyway, a link, or at least the name of the thread, would be greatly appreciated! <3

EDIT: Actually, scratch that, found it ^.~

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2455957

Katsuni

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petyr Baelish View Post
Congratulations Katsuni for finishing the guide! It is great, and I read it all. As someone who is interested in game design, this is the best piece on it I have read, and though some of the information is limited to League of Legends, a lot of it can be applied to game design in general. It is really an amazing guide.

If you have the time, could you write something on reward systems, like the gold and item system, or the IP and champion unlocking system. Too many good game ideas fail because these systems are imbalanced, either snowballing is too easy, or you are not rewarded for doing what common sense tells you to do. Also, a little about item design would be nice, it is my opinion that Riot should slow down their champion releases and focus more on designing new items, runes, masteries, etc.

Best of luck finding a job at Riot, I can tell from this guide you know how to make champions balanced, fun, and unique. Do you have any champion concepts you are still in the process of working on? I would be interested in seeing what designs you have come up with.
I'm sort of half asleep, so it's a bad time to do this right now. However, I'm in that sort of dazed "barely awake, but can't sleep" stage and am trying to go over loose ends I need to tie up. This is one such loose end, so I'm basically dumping this here as a reminder for myself tomorrow.

Also, I have a handful of champion reviews to do, some emails to send, and to put some more info up on that guide Wulffe made which I keep meaning to do.

Yes, I'm using this post as a to-do list. I'm almost guaranteed to glance at it in the morning, and can do stuff then when I'm hopefully more awake XD

Bleh, anyway, feel like a zombie right now. Still better than earlier today though; I swear, it was like being doped on sedatives... still no clue whot happened to cause that, but it was creepy and quite unpleasant.

So... yeah, brain's still kind of not working. Yeu can tell this, because I'm still typing despite having lost any reason to do so a few paragraphs back.

I think Imma just hit the submit reply button now... might be easier than continuing the rant.

Katsuni

08-20-2012

Sigh still haven't done any of the stuff on the list I meant to. Well, whotever.

Anyway, short term bumpage; shall attempt to get more stuff done. Raaaaawr. Days need more hours in them! MOAR!

Jaykoboy

08-20-2012

I noticed you had a bit of stuff in your thread about reviewing and the such. How much did you elaborate on the subject?

Katsuni

08-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykoboy View Post
I noticed you had a bit of stuff in your thread about reviewing and the such. How much did you elaborate on the subject?
Mmm filled a chapter on it, about 6,000 words in length. Part of it was about why we needed reviews, part about how to write yeur own reviews, part about how to dissect a review to find which parts of valuable to improving your design without sacrificing your personal integrity, and part on how to keep yeur ego down while reading a review.

Pretty much all of the various topics were needed, I felt, to really get well rounded information on reviewing in general.