Champion Creation Tips v3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zarkran

07-14-2012

Bump, because this is good, and there are a lot of people who could do with reading some of this.

Personally, it's helped quite a bit in the creation of the champion I'm working on, so this post is for the dual purpose of a bump, and to say Ty.

Johnrulz77

Recruiter

07-14-2012

this post was a great help! i was able to clean up my skills a bit and make it easier to know all about them. alot less confusion that way thanks!

if anyone cares my champion is combo based (kinda)
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...8#post26926938

also; BUMP.

Zarkran

07-14-2012

Bump. Cause really, people should read this. Seriously.

Katsuni

07-15-2012

Thanks for the bumps and support, it helped to get me a bit back on track =3

Got two new sections up today, and hopefully will have another one or two up before bed ^.^

Enjoy!

Katsuni

07-15-2012

A warning - sorries but due to ridiculous situations outside of my control, that may have been the last update, I'm not sure if I'll be able to update beyond this or not. If not... I apologize for not being able to finish >.<

It will depend on how tomorrow turns out.

Anyway, hopefully things will somehow work out.

Katsuni

07-16-2012

The third page is now finished with the inclusion of ultimates. Wewt wewt =3

Johnrulz77

Recruiter

07-16-2012

so does that mean the post will be finished?

also, this thread is extremely detailed, and ive used alot of it for reference, but i cant seem to find tips on keeping the thread alive... its annoying selfbumping a character that took hours and hours of work....

-edit-

for example, tyzone the scholar has 20k views but it seems so horribly unbalanced, with lots of "luck", changing abilties, and extremely complicated, like wtf?
and his ultimates are garbage op / way too hard to implement

Katsuni

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrulz77 View Post
so does that mean the post will be finished?
Possibly, leaning towards probably. I had some semi not so minor issues, but I *THINK* they've been dealt with temporarily... or at least hopefully long enough to finish the post.

Quote:
also, this thread is extremely detailed, and ive used alot of it for reference, but i cant seem to find tips on keeping the thread alive... its annoying selfbumping a character that took hours and hours of work....
There's a few ways. Most of them are bad though, honestly.

You can either self bump it forever, you can stealth bump it (but not that effective either), and you can get friends to bump it as people are more likely to reply if they don't see the creator's name as the last posted all the time.

There's more effective tools, such as intentionally leaving problems in your design to garner complaints... but that's counterproductive. Yes, people are far more likely to reply and bump your post for you if it's got lots of easy to complain about stuff... they're far less likely to reply, however, if it's really good quality. It's hard to get people to reply, when all they have to say is "I liked it". If there's no glaring flaws, they rarely complain, and people prefer to complain rather than to compliment. Most won't bother to say anything until it's especially bothering them.

Fact of the matter is, the better the quality your champion is, and the closer to "done" it is, the less replies you're probably going to get on it, no matter how many times you bump it or provide criticism to other people's posts. I've given out hundreds of remarkably in depth reviews, and rarely get any reply back at all; often they'll say thanks, or ignore everything I say, but they probably won't give anything back, and if they do, it's probably just a simple "I liked it" one sentence reply which is useful for little else than a bump.

Quote:
-edit-

for example, tyzone the scholar has 20k views but it seems so horribly unbalanced, with lots of "luck", changing abilties, and extremely complicated, like wtf?
and his ultimates are garbage op / way too hard to implement
As stated, people prefer to complain.

They also lemming towards herd mentality; if a post has 1,000 replies, it's likely to get 1,000 more, not for it's own merit or interest value, but simply because people figure that if it has 1,000 replies, it must be awesome.

Red posts are another big one for luring people in.

I can't comment on the quality of tyzone myself, as I don't know off the top of my head which one it is, but I can say that it's probable that it has at least one, or more, of the things I've just mentioned in this post.

Johnrulz77

Recruiter

07-16-2012

also if you have the time, even 10 seconds, it'd mean alot to me if you checked out my champion as your thread helped me turn my thread from bad to (hopefully) good

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...2358888&page=3

Katsuni

07-17-2012

A new section is up, and page 4 is where we change over from "light and generic useful tips for everyone", and step into the "professional quality design".

The reading from now on is going to be a bit more complex, and there's going to be some really rough parts ahead. I won't be necessarily holding your hand the whole time from this point on, and there will be areas I'll be teaching concepts, rather than specifics.

Pages 4 and 5 are where you'll learn how to really do the deep stuff that makes your design awesome from the ground up, instead of just easy pointers on minor issues you're having.

So, I hope you people get good use out of this, because this is where **** gets real ^.~