Refer-a-Friend Fraud is No Laughing Matter!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-29-2012

Will Ex-Post Facto Laws apply, that being, if you did this before it wasn't allowed would you still get in trouble? I have a few friends who used to do this but no longer do.

Tempestphile

06-29-2012

rise of the dead?

StarBubbles

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvinLawlz View Post
So no refering yourself and making smurfs?
I don't see how this is detrimental to games.

Actually nevermind, smurfs have to level to 5 (or 3?) to get the refered points.

Aesop

06-29-2012

That actually sucks, bad, I liked playing with my low-level friends, and the bonus IP made it even better

Kerizmo

06-29-2012

If anyone has a low level account, please refer me than.. =P

snow OH

Recruiter

06-29-2012

谢谢

Skorrne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-29-2012

Could we get a red post on Riot's stance on smurfing?

I have 2 referrals left until I get a new rune page unlocked. I would love to just get 2 smurfs up, and get the page. However, the OP makes it sound like I could be running the risk of losing everything (including my 8 previous referrals).

Would love some clarification on this.

Kerizmo

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorrne View Post

I have 2 referrals left until I get a new rune page unlocked. I would love to just get 2 smurfs up, and get the page. However, the OP makes it sound like I could be running the risk of losing everything (including my 8 previous referrals).

Who did you get for the 2 referrals?

Sforzando66

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorrne View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRara View Post
Summoners!

We recently popped the cork on the second iteration of our Refer-a-Friend Program, so we thought it might be time to have a little chat with those of you intending to take advantage of this system. Exploiting the Refer-a-Friend program is not only unfair to those summoners who make an honest effort to introduce others to League of Legends, but also detrimental to everyone’s overall experience – particularly when the methods employed can potentially ruin honest players’ games.

Consider this fair warning. We’re going to be treating any attempt to exploit the Refer-a-Friend program the same way that we would any other fraud attempt. This means that our ever-vigilant Fraud Prevention Team will be monitoring the system, ready to pounce on perpetrators of nefarious schemes aimed at acquiring dishonest referrals. And once we found them, they’re going to find themselves subject to some pretty hefty consequences, including:

• The loss of any and all content acquired under dubious circumstances.
  • A permanent ban from the Refer-a-Friend Program.
  • A suspension or in some cases, a permanent ban from League of Legends.

Our commitment to honest players has always been one of our ideals as a company, and the Refer-a-Friend Program is no different. We’re taking this seriously, and we hope that you are, too.
Riot's stance on smurfing: Don't refer yourself.

Garmanda

06-29-2012

I do not bealive the smurfs accounts are the problem here. I have heard of people creating bots and making them play so they could level up upon losing, this simple bots would just run, attack and use their spells poorly. Thats why it was reffered on "can potentially ruin honest players’ games."
Also I have a friend who spams a post of LOL in taringa at midnight, and he hasnt been banned so I guess it is also okay :P though not the best way to introduce new people