Low level guides.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZERRES

10-26-2009

Afternoon.

TL;DR : If you are going to write an "advanced guide/build" please be kind enough to note in the title or beginning of the guide that "YMMV" with a low level summoner (i.e. lacking masteries/runes)

I've been playing LoL for 3 days now and i've noticed that every single guide on here assumes lvl 30 masteries and full rune pages. After trying to adapt these guides and item builds with my lvl 1 summoner skills(or lack thereof) and having some mild success and some absolute failures its obvious that masteries and runes are a pivotal part of any "guide" or "build" and should be noted as such in a guide.

I think the most important lesson i've learned from following guides is that there is no 100% cookie cutter build. Your opponents team make-up and your own teammates greatly factor into what item builds you should aim for and if you selected the correct runes/masteries for that current game.

For any new players looking here i have a single bit of advice. Take any guide here as a grain of salt. They may do a good job of explaning skill training, what you should be doing early/mid/late game or how to best exploit your strengths, but they are not cookie cutter builds, and playing as such you'll find yourself feeling very underpowered and defeated if you try to play a build made for a maxed out summoner.

HereticalCrab

10-26-2009

Awesome, bump.

SG GodFlow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-26-2009

I've been following nearly all of the guides with high success except for those that ARE mastery/rune dependent, such as Anivia with a full page of mana regeneration runes or carries with critical damage runes.

Elad

10-26-2009

You also need to check the date the guide was created/modified. Several of the guides that can be found in this forum are no longer as viable as they were when created due to nerfs, and other changes to champions and items.

Vangu

10-26-2009

All guides are made for level 30 because that is where you are going to end up. It would be pointless to make a guide for a level 5,7,9,10,20..etc because nothing is really going to change and not all guides are strictly made for leel 30s. The only ones that can't be done unless you are a certain level are ones that require a summoner skill mastery and even that is not 100% needed. The other type of guide where you must follow it exactly or it won't work that well are cd-reduction ones that resolve around getting to 40% a certain way (such as 3 of my guides do) but as I was saying not many of them require you to be level 30 some just need you to be a certain level.

Point is it is pointless to make a guide for lower levels...

JohnCataldo

10-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangu View Post
Point is it is pointless to make a guide for lower levels...
Original poster didn't ask for guides for lower levels, but it's worth mentioning in the guide itself how you can play if you lack certain things. Doesn't have to be a big section, but maybe a single paragraph.

i.e. I enjoy jungling with Warwick. But what you have to do to jungle at summoner level 1 is severely different compared to summoner level 30 with full runes. Lack of Rally, bonus attack speed (amongst other things) etc. all cause major changes. You still CAN jungle, but you've got to get a pile of health potions at the start of the game, and know when to use them. When you start fighting the Lizard the first time you'll need to immediately drink a health potion, or you won't be able to kill him. You (probably) need the added regen for that whole fight or you die! You can't wait until you are at half health or whatever. And if you are walking towards the lizard with partial health, start a potion so you'll be ok when you get there (but don't waste any of the potion, so you may start the battle in the middle of that potion and drink another mid-battle).

ZERRES

10-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCataldo View Post
Original poster didn't ask for guides for lower levels, but it's worth mentioning in the guide itself how you can play if you lack certain things. Doesn't have to be a big section, but maybe a single paragraph.

i.e. I enjoy jungling with Warwick. But what you have to do to jungle at summoner level 1 is severely different compared to summoner level 30 with full runes. Lack of Rally, bonus attack speed (amongst other things) etc. all cause major changes. You still CAN jungle, but you've got to get a pile of health potions at the start of the game, and know when to use them. When you start fighting the Lizard the first time you'll need to immediately drink a health potion, or you won't be able to kill him. You (probably) need the added regen for that whole fight or you die! You can't wait until you are at half health or whatever. And if you are walking towards the lizard with partial health, start a potion so you'll be ok when you get there (but don't waste any of the potion, so you may start the battle in the middle of that potion and drink another mid-battle).
Thanks, this is exactly the sort of thing i was talking about. I'm not asking for specific low level builds, just that those who do decide to make a guide might mention how the build may play on a low level summoner. Just a short blurb to the effect of "i haven't tested this build without runes/masteries YMMV" or "this build will NOT work on a low level summoner".

Perhaps the thread title was a bit mis-leading, i'll see if i can edit it to better reflect my intentions.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-26-2009

People are just used to being level 30 and having a full rune set. It was that way for the VAST MAJORITY of the beta.

Just ignore that part. Runes and Masteries should just compliment your playstyle. Once you get better and knowing what kind of stats you want for your Champion, Runes and Masteries will become automatic.