Xerath Lore is Totally Ruined and a Blatant Copy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

crims0nangel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2014

Riot has totally ruined xeraths lore, he went from becoming an all-powerful mage from shurima who sought nothing more than to fully understand all the knowledge that magic had to offer, to a behind the scene conniving mage to Azir. Everything about him no longer makes any sense whatsoever. Firstly his sarcophagus tomb which he was imprisoned in that took the power of all the mages of Shurima to do (according to old lore); his new lore makes no sense to his character design. Renekton just tackled him into tomb which Nasus sealed according to new lore. So why is he in a sarcophagus now and why is it that something that took the power of every mage in shurima to do equivalent to renekton tackling him into a tomb?

His entire personality also changed, he originally appeared as a humble intellect who had ascended to a point far beyond that of mortals and had no care of their dealings anymore. The only reason he was imprisoned in the first place was because the mages feared his power. His original end quote was, “I have no need for vengeance. Time has brought ruin to the mages of Shurima and I alone remain”. His in game quotes don’t even reflect the rewrite of the shirima lore:

"The affairs of mortals are beneath me."
"Bound, but not broken."
"These chains cannot hold me."
"I will be free" (free from what you already got out of the tomb)

Also if you go to the lolwiki on xerath and scroll down to league judgment, there is an entire 3 page article relating on xeraths backstory and how he came to be. It honestly makes no sense why they are trashing these detailed champion lores to replace them with a several sentence generic load of rubbish.

In fact the new lore is nearly exactly the same as the lore of full metal alchemist brotherhoods the fall of Xerxes.

SPOILER ALERT
The story of the fall of Xerxes, pretty much goes dwarf in a flask homunculus who becomes the king of Xerxes chief mage, tricks him into preforming a ritual which is meant to grant him immortality and unbound power. However dwarf in a flask homunculus tricked the king into the location where he was supposed to be to receive the power and instead dwarf in a flask homunculus was in that location. The ritual was carried out and it destroyed all of Xerxes and granted the power onto dwarf in a flask homunculus.
END SPOILER

Does riot possess any creativity whatsoever, or do all they do now is dumb down everything they touch and rip off ideas.

Old Lore:
In the ancient civilization of Shurima, the mage called Xerath practiced magic with undying passion. He believed that with enough magical power, he could gaze into the heart of Runeterra to know the secrets of history and the universe beyond. Such magic was beyond the limitations of a mortal body, but Xerath obsessively pursued a path to infinite power nonetheless. With every breakthrough he grew more and more powerful, yet not without consequence. Xerath's increasing arcane abilities wrought havoc on his physical form. Desperate, he undertook a dangerous ritual to transcend his dying body. The outcome would be immortality or self-destruction. Violent magic unleashed during the ritual caused devastation throughout Shurima, but when the dust settled, Xerath emerged as an ascended being of pure arcane energy.

Free of flesh and bone, Xerath held nearly infinite power at his command. However, in the wake of his chaotic ritual, the mages of Shurima feared his careless disregard for life would bring ruin to the kingdom. After a terrible struggle they subdued Xerath, but they could not destroy his ascended form. Instead they trapped him within an enchanted sarcophagus and sealed him in an underground tomb. Eons passed, civilizations rose and fell, and Xerath's imprisonment was lost to memory. For centuries, Xerath's vast power tore away at the sarcophagus and weakened its spell. Finally, he willed forth a burst of magic that shattered his prison, but its core remained, containing Xerath and his power within its broken pieces. Seeking to rid himself of this burden, he was drawn to the magic of Valoran's nexuses and found he could absorb their power. Yet the nexuses had gatekeepers: petty mages known as summoners. Xerath knew his key to true freedom from his prison lay in gaining their trust, and he offered his power to the League of Legends.

'I have no need for vengeance. Time has brought ruin to the mages of Shurima and I alone remain.' – Xerath, the Magus Ascendant

New Lore:
Powerful beyond reckoning, the ascended being known as Xerath was once a mortal of flesh and blood. He is now something vastly different - a being of writhing arcane energy. Having emerged from millennia-spanning imprisonment, he is now ready to unleash his power upon Runeterra, and utterly destroy any who oppose him.

Back story:
Shurima

LordHippoman

09-22-2014

This is like the 5th Xerath topic.

And yes, the new lore is similar to a lot of things. I'm sure this plot has happened before "Xerxes" too. It's not a new idea to have the scheming chancellor guy trick the ambitious king into doing something so he can become more powerful. It happened in Final Fantasy 6 with Kefka, it happened in Aladdin with Jafar, it's not a new idea. What matters is what they do with it.

Also, "Humble Intellect"? He thought he was a god. You don't get much less humble than "puny mortals".

Drevok Anvil

09-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHippoman View Post

And yes, the new lore is similar to a lot of things. I'm sure this plot has happened before "Xerxes" too. It's not a new idea to have the scheming chancellor guy trick the ambitious king into doing something so he can become more powerful. It happened in Final Fantasy 6 with Kefka, it happened in Aladdin with Jafar, it's not a new idea. What matters is what they do with it.

Also, "Humble Intellect"? He thought he was a god. You don't get much less humble than "puny mortals".
Hmm I wonder why it would be the 5th xerath topic?
The plot relating to FMA is literally an EXACT copy to xeraths lore. (Ritual takes place in which the king is tricked and ritual destroys the entire kingdom.)

Also it appears as if you didn't read the entire topic and lost out on the majority of what it stood for. What about xeraths character design and in game quotes? It doesn't fit at all with the lore. What about the effort in totally dumbing down back stories and oversimplifying thing. In all the new lore is vastly inferior and is practically a direct copy paste with no imagination employed whatsoever.

IS1d2f73fc65c5cecdf878c

09-22-2014

Quote:
You haven't been here when Jayce's lore was revealed. But back then Riot listened to it's fans.

AmbushIntheDark

09-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drevok Anvil View Post
Hmm I wonder why it would be the 5th xerath topic?
The plot relating to FMA is literally an EXACT copy to xeraths lore. (Ritual takes place in which the king is tricked and ritual destroys the entire kingdom.)

Also it appears as if you didn't read the entire topic and lost out on the majority of what it stood for. What about xeraths character design and in game quotes? It doesn't fit at all with the lore. What about the effort in totally dumbing down back stories and oversimplifying thing. In all the new lore is vastly inferior and is practically a direct copy paste with no imagination employed whatsoever.
Speaking of in-game dialog...Skarner sure talks a lot about the Crystal Scar for NOT BEING FROM THERE ANYMORE.

SecretLore

09-22-2014

The line "I have no need for vengeance. Time has brought ruin to the mages of Shurima and I alone remain" more or less sums it up,that if those mages were still around,then he'd go for revenge.

Also you didn't even read the new lore didn't you?I mean how did you miss the part where Nasus and renekton put Xerath in the sarcophagus?Seriously,you can even see him being already partially encaged the moment Renekton is pulling him into the tomb.
The tomb was only used to lock him away,cause the sarcophagus shattered within seconds.
Before it was a bunch of mages(not everyone,I mean how would every mage in a whole nation gather there in time?),now it were 2 ascended heroes of shurima.

And you also jump to conclusions,his complete lore is not out yet,so we'll have to see what he really wants,the epilogue talks about some kind of revolution,maybe he wants to remake the world with his powers?you say it doesn't make sense that he talks about how "the affairs of mortals are beneath" him,but we just don't know what he wants and thus can't say if this is still fitting or not.

Shaded Striker

09-22-2014

I guess "I will be free" holds no meaning anymore.

crims0nangel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretLore View Post
The line "I have no need for vengeance. Time has brought ruin to the mages of Shurima and I alone remain" more or less sums it up,that if those mages were still around,then he'd go for revenge.

Also you didn't even read the new lore didn't you?I mean how did you miss the part where Nasus and renekton put Xerath in the sarcophagus?Seriously,you can even see him being already partially encaged the moment Renekton is pulling him into the tomb.
The tomb was only used to lock him away,cause the sarcophagus shattered within seconds.
Before it was a bunch of mages(not everyone,I mean how would every mage in a whole nation gather there in time?),now it were 2 ascended heroes of shurima.

And you also jump to conclusions,his complete lore is not out yet,so we'll have to see what he really wants,the epilogue talks about some kind of revolution,maybe he wants to remake the world with his powers?you say it doesn't make sense that he talks about how "the affairs of mortals are beneath" him,but we just don't know what he wants and thus can't say if this is still fitting or not.
Xerath is an ascended being and thus rightly views mortals as nothing of significance, "the affairs of mortals are beneath me" to hold any serious grudge on them would be synonymous with viewing a bug as a worthy adversary.

I clearly read the lore if I quoted it and linked it in my OP. Xeraths sarcophagus is and was his prison, that is the whole reason he still wears it and its his in game design. He tore away at the magic it was made that made it and contained him for thousands of years until he finally broke through, however it still bands him and holds back the brunt of his power, ergo the reason he joined the league. His goal is to gain control over the nexus in order to use its power to release him from the final bonds of the sealing sarcophagus. Instead in the new lore they just attempt to patch over this by saying, "They hurled Xerath into a chained sarcophagus – but the magus shattered it into shards". the sarcophagus symbolizes a major part of xerath by taking the role of his millennium long prison and only real thing holding him back from true unlimited power.

Simple fact of the mater with lore is, if u cant fit it into what already has been established it doesn't belong. This demonstrates nothing more than lazy and sloppy writing.

LordHippoman

09-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS1d2f73fc65c5cecdf878c View Post
You haven't been here when Jayce's lore was revealed. But back then Riot listened to it's fans.
I've been here since Season 1. I was there for Jayce. It was the same kind of outcry.

IS1d2f73fc65c5cecdf878c

09-23-2014

Quote:
I've been here since Season 1. I was there for Jayce. It was the same kind of outcry.
It was not the same.
Riot listened back then.