We should start at 0 ELO rather than 1200.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BigTallUgly

01-01-2013

Bamp

Unkynd

01-02-2013

I back this fully, and have posted before that I think "ELO Hell" is really just the result of running into SO many players on their way DOWN in a certain bracket. Once you are in the 1100-1400 range, every game is a coin flip. I have played games at that ELO with platinum rated players who can not do anything to help the outcome of the game.

BigTallUgly

01-03-2013

Of course, how the hell do you do anything when 4 of your "teammates" feed and then surrender at 20 minutes? I would LOVE to see someone carry that scenario.

Ninja2fu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggroll9000 View Post
That's exactly right!!! People that are bad SHOULD play each other. Why would you instead put people that are bad in 1200 instead of 0? The whole point is to climb out and to distinguish your ELO by carrying out. If you can't carry out of 0, you belong in 0. But right now, you can belong in 0 but get in the way of the person going from 1100-1300 which makes far less sense.
well if you can carry your way out 0 then you should be able to carry your way out of 1200 as well... You act as if your whole team are playing their first ranked game while you're playing against 2300 elo players. So same thing would apply.

example: you do the same thing in the opening post, you suck and you drop all the way down to 100 elo(which i didn't even know could exist lol). Instead you're insisting on staying at zero. Now that means you will always be playing against these "baddies" you hate so much every time.

tldr: It wouldn't change anything as you will still be playing against these newly ranked players.

Hiroxo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

So what would you do to people who lose their first match. Negative elo?
Is your suggestion to remove placement matches and have everyone start at a fixed elo? Or is it to make the baseline 0 instead of 1200?

If you want everyone to start from 0 elo then U'll get diamond players vs bronze. Which is obviously a terrible system. The idea is to approach your skill bracket ASAP and improve.
Everyone at higher elo actually did carry themselves out whether from 1500-2000 or 1200-1500. Did you watch streams just after season 3 patch? Many diamond players at 1600 s. You do realise most people don't start ranked if they don't feel ready. And if you have played a few ranked yourself. You will most likely not be queued up with placement match players or new players. Unless you are at baseline which I can imagine the system using binary search to use you to place other players.

FIN Sawyer30

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerNoName View Post
I disagree for one reason only, and that is, you can't punish people who dodge if everyone starts at zero. Someone might argue, they go negative, and play with negative elo players, but then it totally doesn't matter. The baseline doesn't matter, and if you're a good player, volume beats volatility. If you're good, keep playing, and you'll get out of elo hell. It's a challenge, and climbing out of elo hell is easier for others simply because of luck, but after hundreds or even thousands of games, it won't matter.
You don't lose elo for dodging anymore.. You only have to wait 30 mins. =/

BigTallUgly

01-04-2013

Hiroxykins, you would just stay at zero rating. Not a big deal

BigTallUgly

01-06-2013

Bump.

Holy Hershey

01-06-2013

If you notice, most of the people that are in placement matches get matched up with other people doing placement matches. The current system is fine in my opinion, as what if someone gets really good outside of ranked and has to work their up from 0. Then they need to play with people that are at the rock bottom in skill and awareness, which results in unnecessary grinding.

Nobledarkmoon

01-07-2013

Hmmm, you know that starting everyone at 0 elo can be used and manipulated.

You should learn some basic maths like what a Bell Curve is. No elo would be increased or decreased if everyone starts at the same number. Elo is just a slightly more complex version of a bell curve, not that much more thought.

Your logic for a zero median start in elo is poorly thought out and argued. Your basis of a zero start is like a car racing season. Everyone starts at zero you get points for winning. You cant justify losing points above zero but not losing any at zero.