We should start at 0 ELO rather than 1200.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LasiK64

01-27-2013

No.

BigTallUgly

01-29-2013

Big bump for Riot attention

BigTallUgly

01-30-2013

Have another.

Lime Josh

01-30-2013

agree, all da h8 from people who dont wanna work for their elo

Mehungwaylo

01-30-2013

Actually, this is not a good idea because that would mean very, very bad players would constantly have 1200-1400 elo players in their game because the majority of the player base is in that elo.That wouldn't be fair to them.

BigTallUgly

01-31-2013

Missed the logic leading up to that argument. In fact, making a statement out of the blue and then saying it wouldn't be fair is really hard to argue against.

Costae

02-01-2013

Man the necro.

Fajalah

02-01-2013

What is elo hell? I have yet to see it.

I believe it's just an excuse for people who want to think they are better than they really are. I fell into 1100s and climbed my way out to 1400 and still climbing. This wasn't easy though, I actually spent time spectating matches and learning how other people played. I read forums and strategies. It actually takes some work, but if you put time into it, you will improve. Having the right attitude in matches is also important, don't just whine about elo hell and give up. Work with your team as much as possible. If you have 1 bad player who's unwilling to communicate, try to work with the other 3 to make the most of what you can.

As for the OP idea. There is always going to be a starting point, and your idea is simply a way to make things easier on mediocrity. That's fine, but I believe the system is working as intended. The troll or bad players will eventually fall out. Making a lvl 30 takes times, but falling from 1200 doesn't. I'll agree, there is a bit of luck involved that you don't get paired with too many trolls initially, but the other team having that kind of player is just as likely. Also, dodge queue every now and then if you care about your elo so much, this can improve your odds too.

Mehungwaylo

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTallUgly View Post
Missed the logic leading up to that argument. In fact, making a statement out of the blue and then saying it wouldn't be fair is really hard to argue against.
Alright, I'll put this in baby terms so your small mind can understand.

There is something called a normal distribution. ELO is not normally distributed, but the actual distribution for elo is probably too hard for the little baby to understand, so I'm still going to use it as a model because ELO comes close to being normally distribution. (it's only slightly more skewed.)

At the center of a normal is something called the arithmetic mean. If you extend to the left or right of the mean, you are extending in units of deviations. According to the empirical rule, 95.54% of all values fall between 2 standard deviations of the mean.

This means that if the true elo distribution mean was 1200 and 1 deviation is 150 elo, you can expect 95.54% of all people in the world to fall between 900 and 1500 elo.

If you start people at 0 elo, there is a 95.54% chance that any given player picked to be in that game is somewhere between 900 and 1500 elo.

This means that people who really do have a true elo of 0 would constantly have people between 900 and 1500 elo in their games as they climb up into upper elo.

Does the little baby understand?

BigTallUgly

02-01-2013

Oh, hehe, people don't understand the arbitrary nature of elo.

Um. So look up "arbitrary". Then look up what the elo system was designed around.

Then come back and try to post stuff? I guess?