Spectator Mode Feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CrimsonBlader24

05-02-2012

The only issue that really stands out for me is that chat isn't enabled by default. I don't like that I can't get a hold of friends to see if they want to play a game simply because they are spectating and haven't enabled chat.

optíkz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2012

It would be nice to still be able to chat with your friends, or spectate the same game as they are.

stimmedcows

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-02-2012

I'm not going to try to comb through all 52 threads to see if this was already mentioned yet, but there's a really obvious feature that's missing and the mind reels why this is. What spectator mode boils down to is you are allowing players to watch a game on some kind of delay, meaning you are watching something that has already happened a while ago. And it lets them rewind the action and watch something that happened before that. What does this sound like, really? I'll tell you what it sounds like.. it sounds like a replay. Players are literally watching replays of games (ok, they're three minutes old, but its still a replay), and its being called spectator mode because of the way this has developed. Now what I would recommend is you finish this up properly by finding some way to keep that replay around longer so that a player can re-watch his last game in spectator mode. This was the reason why I went to the whole bother of learning to use xsplit, justin.tv etc, just to be able to view my last game quickly to see why I won/lost it. It really doesn't make sense to not be included considering that spectator modes have the delay anyway so they're just the same as recent replays. Maybe erase it after an hour or two, or store it locally if server capacity is an issue (I doubt it is). Personally I would be much more interested in watching my own games with directed camera than the high elo streams that are offered. Although it is nice. I'm already not using it because I can just watch their stream instead. ( And actually I am not sure why this high-elo viewing feature was launched since those pro gamers make a living off streaming. .... I really don't understand. ) Being able to watch your friends game is the main success of this new mode. Being able to watch your last game in spectator mode would be an even bigger one and would silence your critics.

Also I already posted this before here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...7#post21433097

ineup the cs information at the bottom of the screen, in the table.

Admittedly this could run into problems if teams did something different, but otherwise you could attempt to match AP vs AP, support vs support, jungler vs junlger (both have smites), like this:

Jarvan 31 dorans shield... || Gangplank 28 dorans blade
Warwick 12 cloth armor......|| Nocturne 14 cloth armor
Malzahar 34 dorans-boots || Xerath 23 dorans- boots
Taric 0 -faerie-wards,,,,,,,,,, || Sona 0 - faerie wards
Caitlyn 25 -dorans-boots - || Graves 28 -boots-pots

Basically so the information is easier to look at, because in spectator mode you are trying to see how each person in a lane is doing.. and it gets really confusing to find them, its kind of stressful coz you might miss something important while youre just derping trying to find their stats.

You could even attempt to put the top lane players on the "top" of the table, and the bottom lane players on the bottom, like this order::

Top (bruiser)
Jungle
Mid carry
Support
Bottom carry
(notice that i did this in my example above to help illustrate how much quicker you can find the information you are looking for with a really rudimentary sort. Yeah it might be wrongly ordered sometimes, with weird comps, but we know thats rare)

Finally it would be better if you could use additional mouse buttons to toggle directed mode, maybe click mouse button 3 to free the camera, etc. Not everyone has this kind of mouse I'll admit, but for those of us that do, its only natural to want to do that with your mouse. I will have a look through the keybindings later and set them up to my tastes - I would say you could also figure out the ergonomics a little better and then change the defaults.

Bonus (because I dont care that much) - maybe you could have it easier to see who died, like, you just make the portraits go grey right now, with the timer clicking on it, but that's actually kind of obscured by lots of information in games. Like maybe when someone dies you should have their spirit leave their body upwards or some other kind of marker in the main field. Glowing corpse? I dont know. I'm colorblind so its probably just me.

So to summarize:
- let a player use spectator mode to watch his last game
- organise the scoreboard (top-bottom) for much easier viewing. Its in a terrible state right now.

TL Frolo

05-02-2012

it would be nice to either view the average elo or individual elo of the players in the featured games

Bloodba7h

05-02-2012

Where is the featured games list? It has disappeared.

Bluetint

05-02-2012

Love the new spectator mode.

If there is one thing that i would like to see modified is the retreat ping. Normal pings are color coded (blue or purple) however the retreat ping is simply yellow for both teams. Normally this isn't a problem since its obvious which team issued it, just find whoever its being pinged on (usually the over extended team mate) however during the teamfights I find that one team is pinging multiple times to tell his teammate to backoff - and at this point since they're hovering over the same area being occupied by both teams, I'm not sure which one issued it.

Second the character details on the lower left of the screen (the one containing the stats, abilities, cooldowns, and items) would it be possible to add a line showing the kills/assists/deaths and creep score there? THis will make it easier to keep track of just one champion when the viewer decideds to instead of having the score board open (which frankly takes up a lot of space in the middle). That way if we're trying to watch a jungler do his stuff, its easier to keep track of his stats.

Lastly while i can see the teams total gold, i havent found a place to view individual gold levels. I would like to see that stat so i can see which champion is actually winning a lane. since while it is possible that one team has more gold it might be because one of their character is horribly fed, while everyone else is doing poorly. Yes cs can help me estimate the amount of gold they have but with the differing ratio of assists and gp5 items, this don't accurately give me amount i need to see how far they are from each other. Does a carry with 3 kills earn more gold than the, the jungle who has 5 assist? etc..

CrimsonBlader24

05-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanizier View Post
I'm not going to try to comb through all 52 threads to see if this was already mentioned yet, but there's a really obvious feature that's missing and the mind reels why this is. What spectator mode boils down to is you are allowing players to watch a game on some kind of delay, meaning you are watching something that has already happened a while ago. And it lets them rewind the action and watch something that happened before that. What does this sound like, really? I'll tell you what it sounds like.. it sounds like a replay. Players are literally watching replays of games (ok, they're three minutes old, but its still a replay), and its being called spectator mode because of the way this has developed. Now what I would recommend is you finish this up properly by finding some way to keep that replay around longer so that a player can re-watch his last game in spectator mode. This was the reason why I went to the whole bother of learning to use xsplit, justin.tv etc, just to be able to view my last game quickly to see why I won/lost it. It really doesn't make sense to not be included considering that spectator modes have the delay anyway so they're just the same as recent replays. Maybe erase it after an hour or two, or store it locally if server capacity is an issue (I doubt it is). Personally I would be much more interested in watching my own games with directed camera than the high elo streams that are offered. Although it is nice. I'm already not using it because I can just watch their stream instead. ( And actually I am not sure why this high-elo viewing feature was launched since those pro gamers make a living off streaming. .... I really don't understand. ) Being able to watch your friends game is the main success of this new mode. Being able to watch your last game in spectator mode would be an even bigger one and would silence your critics.

Also I already posted this before here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...7#post21433097

ineup the cs information at the bottom of the screen, in the table.

Admittedly this could run into problems if teams did something different, but otherwise you could attempt to match AP vs AP, support vs support, jungler vs junlger (both have smites), like this:

Jarvan 31 dorans shield... || Gangplank 28 dorans blade
Warwick 12 cloth armor......|| Nocturne 14 cloth armor
Malzahar 34 dorans-boots || Xerath 23 dorans- boots
Taric 0 -faerie-wards,,,,,,,,,, || Sona 0 - faerie wards
Caitlyn 25 -dorans-boots - || Graves 28 -boots-pots

Basically so the information is easier to look at, because in spectator mode you are trying to see how each person in a lane is doing.. and it gets really confusing to find them, its kind of stressful coz you might miss something important while youre just derping trying to find their stats.

You could even attempt to put the top lane players on the "top" of the table, and the bottom lane players on the bottom, like this order::

Top (bruiser)
Jungle
Mid carry
Support
Bottom carry
(notice that i did this in my example above to help illustrate how much quicker you can find the information you are looking for with a really rudimentary sort. Yeah it might be wrongly ordered sometimes, with weird comps, but we know thats rare)

My apologies if you guys already implemented that (I didn't check first), but if you didn't , get on it.
I totally agree. It would be GREAT if we could watch a replay of our own games, and even possibly save them for viewing later.

DevilBenji

05-02-2012

I am here to say that the spec mode is failing because even with a 3 min delay you can see the enemy team do their buffa.. so you can tell to a friends the timer.

To solve this problem.

No spec mode for rank.
Only spec what the one you spectate see
Only see what the team see..

Mobile

05-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVasDeferenSx View Post
Is there a way to talk to others spectating or to invite friends to spectate with? this owuld make it quite a bit more enjoyable imo.

This. Sometimes i see some AMAZING plays and i look around my room for someone to yell at in excitement, lol.

Synyster

05-02-2012

My two complaints are:

1. I cant view the games I want to watch on the Watch now list

2. There is no chat interface within spectator mode so I can be notified if a friend is online or wants to play a game.

Other than that the software is nice