Spectator Mode Feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Absinthe

05-02-2012

The delay needs changed to 5minutes, spoofing is already changing games.

The option to spectate same game that your friend is spectating would also be amazing. Probably been said already, but figured I'd repost.

LegendaryFear

05-02-2012

I posted a thread about this in general discussion but there could be a serious issue about basically cheating with spectator mode.. just curious and wanted it cleared up.

FOODFOOD

05-02-2012

There are some very high-level Dominion games I really want to spectate. It would be great if they were "Featured."

dualwriath

05-02-2012

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but when i go into spectate mode when connected to multiple monitors, i get a weird little box in the bottom left of my secondary screen (left screen is the main) and the cursor can only cover the bottom right corner of my main screen, and I have to scroll using the hotkeys, and cannot access the left/top of the screen

Leafeyawn

05-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThujoneX View Post
The delay needs changed to 5minutes, spoofing is already changing games.
I don't see how this is possible. Three minutes after a major event takes place, most good players will already know it happened. The only way letting someone know that something happened three minutes later is if that player and his entire team is grossly unaware of what is happening in the game.

Think about it this way. The only things that a player would need a spectating friend to tell them about are things that the player can't already see.

This basically means two things:
-Players in the jungle/bushes
-Unwarded dragon/baron
-Wards

Now, let's assume you're trying to feed information about the jungler or a potential ganker's position. That information is going to be three minutes old. They either will have, you know, moved or the gank you're trying to warn them about already happened. If you're trying to tell them someone got a buff, that buff will have worn off by the time you're able to relay that information.

What about unwarded dragon/baron attempts? If your player friend doesn't already know that Baron is gone, then I don't know what the other team is doing with their buff. Similarly, it's very likely that someone will have noticed dragon is missing before three minutes.

Wards are very similar to blue/red buff. They last three minutes. So, by the time you tell your player friend that a ward has been placed, it will have run out. You might say, "Well, then they know that ward isn't there anymore!" However, it's also just as likely that the ward will have been replaced in the live game.

To recap, there's just no situation I can think of that remains relevant three minutes after it's occurred. Any information you pass on is going to be relatively worthless.

Yordles Rule

05-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yordles Rule View Post
OMG Thank You! I could not figure this out. heard the chat sounds, couldn't figure out how to view it. I love spectator mode, the camera moves great except one small thing i'd change.

When you are following someone in particular, sometime you move the screen a little bit to see things around him. when you do this instead of going back to following your char in 5 seconds, it goes to the directed camera mode zooming your camera across the map. It's already easy enough to get to this mode by pressing esc or d (it also goes into directed camera automatically if the champ you are following dies which is very smart). It would be more logical for the camera to go back to the person you were following after 5 sec if you accidentally move the camera a little bit.

One other thing I'd like to see is 2 simple buttons, like shift+ and shift- to skip the video forward and backwards 5 seconds respectively (I know backspace moves time back 15 sec).

That said, I love how the time controls are organized! 0, -, +, backspace, and p, being right there is very convenient. The directed camera works great and staying in action you are currently viewing by holding down the mouse works great too. I'm very impressed with it. Like I said the only camera thing i'd change is the follow champ thing i mentioned earlier.
So I've used spectate a little more, and while the chat button works I would prefer it didn't turn back off between every spectated game (every game if you want to see chat you have to find the button and turn it on again).
Another idea for the time navigation buttons, if you don't want to add 2 more buttons. The biggest problem with with the backspace (back 15 seconds) is if you are in slow motion it will take 60 seconds to get you back to the time you started at (essentially rewinding you a full minute of viewing time forcing you to fast forward to the point you want to watch in slow motion again). At the very least the backspace button needs to rewind you less in slow motion, i.e. backspace takes you back 7 sec in .5x mode and 3 sec in .25x mode.
I haven't used it in fast forward mode but it would make sense to rewind you further there as well.

ThaFaub

05-02-2012

i left the spectator mode and it said back in the client the orange button :Reconnect to the Game

i had to restard my client

i dont know if its always like that i used it only once

floppytacos

05-02-2012

while watching a dominon game all sorcerer's boots were displayed as elixir of agility

Datastream117

05-02-2012

The only issue I have with spectate is that if I'm on skype with a friend (which is pretty much the only time I play) If I want too watch whats going on in a game he's in it doesn't work because of the three minute delay.

Maybe there can be an option when joining spectate too only spectate the person on your friends list? Follows their camera exclusively so you can laugh and share in their moments of failure? Just a thought

Labomba

05-02-2012

A++ Riot, job well done.

I thought the directed camera was pretty brilliant. It catches most of the action and does a nice job of not jumping around back and forth too rapidly.

Loved the featured games. I was able to spectate games with Salce and Dan Dinh yesterday, which was cool to see some familiar names.

I also spectated a friend on my list. I don't play with this guy very often, but I know him RL, so it was amusing to see how well he played.

Overall I love it. I also love that it's the actual game client and not a streamed video. I never realized how poor the stream quality was until I saw the action in my own client. So much better for the animations and particles, etc.