Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

yorick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zzym

05-01-2012

I just bought him , anyone got some tips on how to build him and play him ?

The Elk

05-01-2012

Triforce, life steal, tanky. I like lucidity boots, but defensive boots are good too. Try get max cdr because his passive and E make him live forever. You may want to start with tear (into manamune) and boots until you get used to the cost of his abilities. But the prospector's blade and boots is a better opening.

Your goal is to out sustain and destroy people.

I like maxing E first and then Q or W depending on the enemy. If it is another bruiser, or someone i can consistently land Qs on I max it next otherwise I get W.

Don't under estimate the speed difference when you slow someone and speed up. If you get ganked try to Q a minion drop your W and run.

A12MO12

05-01-2012

edit got down voted so changing build.

prospector + boots + health pots
*spirit visage (optional if your facing AP cooldowns and cheap MR with increased healing is pretty good)
lvl 2 boots (lucidity, merc, ninja tabi))
trinity ~ every part of it complements yorick, constant sheen procs, chance to slow enemies, moves speed and crits
situational defence item to counter lane opponent, either FH or odyn's veil
last item i usually go for is sanguine blade for even more sustain, or you can get more armor/MR to counter opponent harder.

level R>E> alternate Q and W (I get q before w if im laning vs an AD fighter and w if they have range)

standard harass combo should be to wait for opponent to hit a minion and drop w and e on them.
Also you can look for a low health minion and hit him with q and then drop w and e on the opponent.
This is why mana items are important, you will be spamming ghouls for your harass.

final build should look something like this

prospector
trinity
ninja/merc/lucidity
frozen heart
odyns
last whisperer/sanguine (if they don't have a lot of armor sanguine would be better)

with this you do quite a bit of damage, quite durable from mixed damage types, and you attacks penetrate armor

EinzigerAI

05-01-2012

Yorick with a tear start is the most annoying thing in the world.

urmamasllama

05-01-2012

im the only one who does it but revolver start is pretty hard to beat you build it into a gunblade eventually then just get tank items

R00ler

05-01-2012

I start with 5 pots, Boots of Speed, Vampiric Scepter, and then either Cloth Armor or Null-Magic Mantle depending on who I'll be lanning against. Try to ulternate between W and E whenever the enemy gets into range - this way you always have something ready to push them back. With all those pots, lifesteal, and armor it can be tough on the other team - you can have early mana issues if you spam too hard, so watch out. When they b run over and start caping - if you do it quickly after they leave you can usually down their tower before they get back, though capping is a long shot. Expect to get ganked, don't be surprised when they swap out AP for AD if they can't handle your harass.

IronAegis

05-01-2012

Oh Yorick, I hate you. Unless I'm heimer, then you're fine.

Warrrrax

05-02-2012

I have tried out quite a few different starting items.

Pros Blade and Boots seems to be the best. It gives a huge 25% health and AD improvement which really makes a big difference ingame. It means each ghoul hits 25% harder, and you have the best chance of outright WINNING your lane by engaging the enemy with Slow,Exhaust and just beating them down. The Blade is excellent as it costs 1k and gives 1500g worth of useful stats. Even the lifesteal is useful when beating on creeps for a bit of extra sustain. There arent a lot of good Health items for Yorick so the extra early health seems to help for the entire game.

Tear/Boots is more for a mobile Poking game. Lack of life/AD means that you usually don't want to outright engage an enemy early on, but want to harass and poke away while farming and pushing. Then you can maybe get a kill once youve worn them down...if they don't B.

Tear commits you to Manamune which is a so-so item in dominion. When you get Manamune you will have payed 2400g for 1600g worth of AD (40AD) since you likely have a 1k mana pool. Even a MAXED manamune(1350) plus yoricks bad mana pool = 2000ish = break even point at 60 AD. You'd need a pretty significnat amount of mana from Heart/Triforce/Odins to really make it cost effective.
The mana itself isn't as useful after the early game. By the time a Yorick gets a Shroud or Sheen or whatever, he usually has enough mana to sustain himself decently. He isn't Blitzcrank either who can use extra mana for a Shield.

Catalyst is another option. Gives you health buffer and mad sustain in both health and mana. THis is for Pushing Wars as your lack of AD/mobility ensure you will never really get a kill except vs idiots. But you can push like a beast and shrug off their harass while spamming a nonstop stream of ghouls against them.
This commits you to an Odins though which isn't a bad item at all, but you should be aware.

I personally like: (order is totally changable depending on enemy bottom and team comp)
1 in AD, 21 Defense (with 8.1% CDR, 3% MS), 8 util (goodhands, 2% MS)

+ Pros Blade
+ boots
+ sapphire crystal (more spam)
-> Ionic Boots (15% CDR)
-> Glacial Shroud (15% more CDR, armor)
+ antimagic mantle
+ Sheen
-> Hexdrinker
-> TriForce
-> Frozen Heart
-> Maw
(whatever 6th item. Probably BFSword to Entrophy for high AD/health. the snare is free)

The idea is pretty high armor, decent MR, decent health. This makes the best use of the 'virtual health' I get from hexdrinker shield and my Lifesteal Ghoul/nuke.
TriForce gives much needed movespeed and I can proc the big damage hit quite often with my maxed CDR skills, plus keep out 3 ghouls most of the time.

--
There are lots of viable builds though, so definitely play around with the 3 different starting configs and see which one tends to work better for you. You might even try hybrids of the two, such as boots, red crystal, blue crystal... which gives you speed, health, mana and speeds you towards a quicker Sheen/Phage/Triforce, or Glacial Shroud, or SV, or whatever you want.

ElevenOfClubs

05-02-2012

One thing I do know about Yorric is a good rotation.

Hit q, attack creep -> you are now faster than the guy your laning against.
Walk at enemy and w them when you get in range -> they are now slowed.
E and right click a few times to harass.

With your passive and life steal you should win the trade. You also drive them away from the creep and push the lane (which is usually desirable in dominion). Repeat until they are killable.

The trick, what I suck at, is figuring out how to farm and build/counterbuild to get stronger than your enemy. Yorric stays ahead very easily when he gets ahead.

Also, try him top as a tank (maxing w first and get an earlish phage). I've had a lot of luck with that role, and enjoy it more that Yorric solo bot.

jars

05-02-2012

Quote:
EinzigerAI:
Yorick with a tear start is the most annoying thing in the world.

prospector's blade is way safer. then get tear/manamume, SV, stuff