Question about AP carry builds.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyrosi

05-01-2012

Is it wrong to rush morellos on any mage? The CD on it is wonderful on champs like lux/ahri.
I've been wondering if there's a better way to build because i personally think stacking dorans early on is a bit of a waste.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-01-2012

Doran's ring is never a waste, the mana regen, health, and ability power are powerful aids to your early game. Ontop of that, they are quite useful until mid game, where their usefullness drops off. You can then sell them for half of what you paid, and 250 gold for one kill, 20 farm, or not dying... I'll take it every time.

That being said, I only take it on champions I'm unfamiliar with or are quite squishy early game(Nidalee is a great example.) Morello's is such a sub par item, in my book. The CD reduction is nice, yes, but if you're not doing enough damage, it doesn't matter how fast your abilities come up.

You'll be fine adding this to your line up after a Deathcap, Rod of Ages, or Arch Angel's (Generally basic builds imo for AP carries). But you seriously need that burst because in the lane phase you are worry'd more about burst damage than DPS.

Making someone back is good, but its no where near as good as getting the kill. I don't know how many times I see someone escape with 60 life, but the extra 20/30 ability power you're missing is probably the cause.

All of which being said, its about finding your playstyle and ignoring what others say in game. This game is full of trolls, and misguided people. Do what works for you. Don't shut them off though, keep an open mind. Analyze for yourself weather or not something is a good idea.

I hope I helped.

davidjo459

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-01-2012

You honestly don't need CDR on AP carries because you should be getting blue buff before major engagements as well as an elixer. Between those two and masteries/runes you should have 30-40% CDR which is more than enough.

Sephïroth

05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjo459 View Post
You honestly don't need CDR on AP carries because you should be getting blue buff before major engagements as well as an elixir. Between those two and masteries/runes you should have 30-40% CDR which is more than enough.
This statement is false.

Elixer is 10%, Blue is 10%. That's 20%. AP Carries should, but until you get into later elos, often don't get to grab blue. Even if you are blowing 250 gold to get your elixir(Which usually isn't a bad idea 20-25 minutes in), you can still use up to 30%, because both blue buff and elixir wear off. I generally leave 10% for the elixir and blue buff combined.

As I previously state, I dislike Morello's for CD reduction, it just has bad stats for the money. Deathfire grasp allows you to make a Phil stone and hold out on it, Spirit Visage is a relatively cheap item that gives you survivablity and CD.

It really is about your play style, I can't emphasize this enough. Though, I can emphasize damage always comes first, then Unique traits like slows/cd/activates.

Terrafang

05-01-2012

Well I get CDR from runes and masteries so I can buy other items

The Blu Equine

05-01-2012

i like it after my rabadon's and void staff on lux.

Manouso

05-01-2012

rush vs Swain = win

Blaine Tog

05-02-2012

I rush Morello's for Ahri, but not for anyone else. It doesn't give her so much mana regen that she can cast with impunity, but it's usually enough for how I play her. More importantly, however, her safety is directly tied to whether her Ult is up, so I like to make sure it's up as often as possible. Blue is certainly good to have, but I don't like relying on it, especially in solo queue. And hey, Morello's still gives good AP, and it's even easier to get now that it builds out of a Kage's Lucky Pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimie View Post
This statement is false.

Elixer is 10%, Blue is 10%.
Blue is 20%.